The Red Gambit

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

The Red Gambit

Post by Frank La Rue »

Allthough I have written a couple of posts under the thread "Book" - i find this format too constrictive, so I start a new thread about the Series "The Red Gambit" here.

I have read the 2 first books and the 3rd and fourth are up for read in April/May. The 5th book is being written as I write and the author estimates 10 - 11 books all - in - all.

The Series is built on an alternate history in 1945 with Soviet Union attacking in Germany to conquer all of Europe, partially based on the fact that they have military intelligence that W. Churchill had ordered a plan called for attacking the Soviet Union in June 1945 to move and take Moscow, a plan called Operation Unthinkable. This latter is a historical fact:

The author is a 57 year old Brit named Colin Gee, a life long operational Firefighter with an equally life long interest in Military History.

I am a layman with regards to literature (well, close to - have have a basic degree from the University in English Language and Literature some 35 years ago) and my personal take is that Colin Gee matches Tom Clancy in military action and plot, John Le Carre in espionage and political intrigue.

His novels have been dominated somewhat in terms of volume of pages by tactial military action scenes, however always founded on strategic deliberations with historical caracers like Zukov, Stalin, Beria, Attlee, Churchill and a number of real - time Generals and officers amongst the British, Amrerican, French and German war - time cast.
His strategic grasp and ability to put foreward believable characters will allow him to put more emphasis on this part of writing as the story evolves and I am telling him so, you can interact with him on face book.

All, in all a superb read emerging for those who enjoys Le Carre and Tom Clancy et al.

The link to the Web site is here:

http://redgambitseries.com/

I will in the time to come contribute with short descriptions and literary critique of each Novel, starting next post with "Opening Moves"
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: The Red Gambit

Post by dundrillin »

After your recommendation I have downloaded the first book. Your comparison with Clancy is spot on.However my heart sank when you mentioned the series is likely to stretch to 10 or 11 books I think I will have lost interest long before then.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:After your recommendation I have downloaded the first book. Your comparison with Clancy is spot on.However my heart sank when you mentioned the series is likely to stretch to 10 or 11 books I think I will have lost interest long before then.

LOL - you may think so, but after the first 200 pages with Tank Commander and SS Standartenfuhrer Ernst - August Knocke I was rivetted, and I think so will others be.

He (Knocke) is a real person and the author met with his family, wife and children, getting insights into private letters and anecdotes upon which the book's representation of him is based.

Wait untill you read the final chapters of the 2nd book "Break through", that is Le Carre if there ever was someone to pick up his mantel.

You will NOT loose interest - it just gets better and better as you read. :wink:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I'll keep going then.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

BOOK I: OPENING MOVES - Overview

It is June 1945.

Stalin and Beria - the leader of NKVD (The Sovjet Secret Service) within a short space of time get to know

i) That US is about to break through in their research for the Atomic bomb - the Manhattan project.

ii) That W.S. Churchill has a Planning team under way for an imminent attack on the Sovjet Union before too many american forces are pulled back form Europe

Against this backdrop comes the fact that 85% of all material destroyed in the WW2 was with the Russians on the Eastern front. I have this number from "Russias War", an intersting account of this war by, written when Soviet Union fell in 1991 and Western historians got access to files and accounts from the war at Moscow Unviersity.
If this includes or excludes the equipment provided to USSR under the Lend - Lease agreement via Konvoys to Murmansk, I am not sure.

However, this is the moral backdrop against which the USSR Leadership in the story sees it as their right to occupy all of Germany and get som payback from German industry and resource, what is left of it - for their sacrifices.

When there is a real militay treat by Churchills plan - uncovered by one of their agents at Whitehall, there is fertile ground for a Sovjet attack.

And Attack they do.

Against this credible political backdrop, which is based on factual accounts of factual events (Churchills planning took place - you can find the historical account of "Operation Unthinkable" on http://www.amazon.co.uk) the author Colin Gee does a competent job of developing "could - have - been" military moves on the map as they would make sense for an advancing Sovjet army and likewise the chaotic Allied response.

Revealing too much obviously reduces the reader pleasure - so my effort here is to tempt your palates.

The battle - scene accounts - and there are many - are of such a literary caliber that I feel I am next in line to get shot at, as the T34s advance.
It is clear that some of the USSR military migh is in their artillery. In addition the Sovjets uses captured German Hardware which adds to confusion on the battlefield.

In this setting it falls to Eisenhower to lead the defence - which is the overall military theme in this book.

A historically interesting part of this is how the German Army - what is left of it, can be integrated into the Allied command and the moral dilemma of using Waffen SS personnel or not, as their figthing troops at the Eastern front had the highest kill - ratio in Tank battles by all sides.

The Geopolitical dimension is equally believably dealt with - the destiny of Italy and Spain comes into play with credible character descriptions. A number of the characters in the book are real live ones, dead now but Colin Gee has done his research to put them into this alternate History.
The Allies are loosing. What can they do?

As the 1st book ends, Hamburg has not fallen - yet. US tries to return re-patriated troops to French and UK harbours, scramble German prisoners - of - war, establish German units under their command, whilst the Russian artillery is paving the way for advancing Soviet troops.

There is only one upside - the Allies has some air superiority due to technology - better planes.

In the midst of all we also follow various characters in USSR Intelligence (NKVD and GRU) that offer us, the readers, to part take in individuals' destiny, beyond the captivating battle scenes.

It's a heck of a read and I am getting book III in my letter box on Tuesday.

I will report on the 2nd book - Breakthrough - a bit later, depending in how many catch up in this, when I got enough of you reading book I.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Frank La Rue wrote: I will report on the 2nd book - Breakthrough - a bit later, depending in how many catch up in this, when I got enough of you reading book I.
Is the 3rd book called "Overkill"?
This is the way
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote: I will report on the 2nd book - Breakthrough - a bit later, depending in how many catch up in this, when I got enough of you reading book I.
Is the 3rd book called "Overkill"?
LOL - I get the Irony and the message here :wink: , I just need to get some circulation on this thread so it appears under "Active Posts" - to create pull instead of push, if you like. Eventually a lot of people will be hooked.

I'll have to send a PM to dundrillin, to ask him posting some literary artillery support :guns:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Did not receive a Pm ?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:Did not receive a Pm ?

You're getting one now-------- :guns:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Frank La Rue wrote:
dundrillin wrote:Did not receive a Pm ?

You're getting one now-------- :guns:
Trying to send you a PM - here is what I got:

Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

try now Frank
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

All, I got book 3, Stalemate, today from amazon.co.uk, I have 8 days to read the book before Thai family arrives :roll:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Have just finished book 1.The battle scenes are very well written and leave us in no doubt of the horrors of warfare. It reminds us of the consequences when the politicians screw it up .It's portrayal of all of the sides involved is even handed ie atrocities on all sides. The graphic description of the excesses of the Moroccan troops is truly shocking. This is also mentioned in Anthony Beevor's book of the Spanish Civil War where Franco used them to spread terror amongst the civilian population .On the downside I feel the series will be too drawn out for the general reader ie 10 volumes! Very keen readers of military works will be in their element though.For myself I will read the second volume and then decide whether or not to stay the course.There are just so many good books on the go just now that one has to be selective or a very quick reader.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:Have just finished book 1.The battle scenes are very well written and leave us in no doubt of the horrors of warfare. It reminds us of the consequences when the politicians screw it up .It's portrayal of all of the sides involved is even handed ie atrocities on all sides. The graphic description of the excesses of the Moroccan troops is truly shocking. This is also mentioned in Anthony Beevor's book of the Spanish Civil War where Franco used them to spread terror amongst the civilian population .On the downside I feel the series will be too drawn out for the general reader ie 10 volumes! Very keen readers of military works will be in their element though.For myself I will read the second volume and then decide whether or not to stay the course.There are just so many good books on the go just now that one has to be selective or a very quick reader.
LOL - In book one there are a lot of battle scenes - it changes with every book - in Book 2 there is a briliant political and espionage plot taking the reader away from battle scenes -allthough they are there, in book 3 the direction of the writing is changing yet again - I am through the first 100 pages and the political suspence and intrigue is buidling with a battle beween Russian Kossaks on horses Tibethian Gurkhas thrown in for good measure. However, the political suspense is moving to the fore :wink:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I am now 200 pages into book III. The suspense is on the increase, still descriptive battle scenes but the plot turns towards politics and charcter conflicts. I did 80 pages of very enjoyable read last night.

.........and General Patton has just been introduced into the character cast - lets see what that does to the coming chapter.....