american news programs

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

american news programs

Post by oakdale160 »

A qusestion to american posters. I usually go to the british BBC or Canadian CBC for reliable news. Which of theUS providers do you prefer.
PeteC

Re: american news programs

Post by PeteC »

Not an easy question.

If it's a story I'm very interested in and following, I prefer to read rather than watch. In that case I'm all over the internet with Reuters, AP, CNN, BBC, NYT, Guardian etc.

In my opinion CNN can't be beat concerning breaking news on TV during a crisis. BBC does a good job usually but simply doesn't have the resources CNN has.

Concerning normal daily TV news I'm back and forth between CNN and BBC. It's a chuckle to see how aligned their programs are. They both must have staff doing nothing but watching each other on the tube. :D

Business I much prefer CNBC over Bloomberg, especially when the US markets are open.

I don't get Fox on my system so can't comment. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I switch between Fox News and Al Jazzera English. The truth is usually in the middle of those two.
On a serious note, Bill O'Reilly is in my mind the greatest American comedian. He just doesn't know it himself. He is sharply followed by Tim Hannity, another ultra-conservative. But Fox News sure got some good-looking ladies.
Al Jazzera presents an angle to the news that's always serious and well-documented.
BBC - I love their stiff upper lip but they got too many blubbermouths.
A friend is only one click away
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Interesting that I posted this on FOO,but mods moved it to entertainment, no problem guys.
One of the critism aimed at news shows is that the strive to be entertaining rather than relevant.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Fox News sure got some good-looking ladies
Maybe that's why it's called "FOX" news... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

hhfarang wrote:
Fox News sure got some good-looking ladies
Maybe that's why it's called "FOX" news... :D
But they've also got a sharp tongue. So watchammacallits now?
A friend is only one click away
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote:Interesting that I posted this on FOO,but mods moved it to entertainment, no problem guys.
One of the critism aimed at news shows is that the strive to be entertaining rather than relevant.
In 1982 Don Henley wrote 'Dirty Laundry' as a reaction to TV news. It's written from the point of view of an on-air presenter. Some of the lyrics:

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

One way FOX news baited it's opponents was to hire attractive non-bubble headed bleach blonds with degrees. Harvard, Standford, Colombia, Oxford are represented, to name a few.