Tom Clancy RIP

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
PeteC

Tom Clancy RIP

Post by PeteC »

A sad day...... :(

Tom Clancy, Best-Selling Master of Military Thrillers, Dies at 66

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books ... at-66.html

Tom Clancy, whose complex, adrenaline-fueled military novels spawned a new genre of thrillers and made him one of the world’s best-known and best-selling authors, died on Tuesday in Baltimore. He was 66.

Mr. Clancy, who grew up in Baltimore, died at Johns Hopkins Hospital after a brief illness, his lawyer, J. W. Thompson Webb, said on Wednesday.........
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Re: Tom Clancy RIP

Post by Chromeman »

Yes, very sad indeed! I have enjoyed many of his books over the years!

Luckily, we don't have to go cold turkey when it comes to his books. There is a Jack Ryan novel scheduled for release December 3 called "Command Authority". It is even available for pre-order on Amazon.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, he certainly had an incredible knowledge of defense affairs.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wow, sad... and only 66. That's not that old in these days of modern medicine. I think I've read everything he's ever written. He and his talent will be missed.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

A talented man.

I've lost a bunch of my favorite writers this past year, or so

Tom Clancy
Elmore Leonard
Vince Flynn
Robert B Parker

RIP guys
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Rainbow six is a fantastic book, one of my favourites.

Young age to go, pool lad.
GN.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Young indeed at 66 and a very talanted author. Will certainly miss his novels......... RIP Tom.
:cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I picked up Patriot Games when starting a 10 hour journey home at the end of a vacation. It was my first Clancy. For the next 3 days I did nothing except read, eat, sleep and work. He will be missed.
hhfarang wrote:Wow, sad... and only 66. That's not that old in these days of modern medicine. I think I've read everything he's ever written. He and his talent will be missed.
No cause of death was not stated in the announcement. All accounts I've seen said he smoked like a chimney.
clinton114

Post by clinton114 »

Many years ago, I was flying out of Jacksonville NC after a visit to Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station (and a look at the yet-to-be deployed MV-22s). I had just purchased the latest Clancy hardback and settled into a coffee shop to read and pass time while waiting for my flight. As I'm reading, I slowly realized that one of the two men sitting at the table next to me working on their laptops, was the spitting image of TC. I looked at the photo on the book jacket, then the man sitting next to me, several times trying to decide if it was him or not. After a minute he looked up at me, smiled and nodded, then returned his attention to his laptop. I'm 100% certain it was him, and wished that he would have offered to autograph my book. I didn't want to ask for one, but his simple gesture of a nod and a smile was enough. He seemed like a good, gracious individual.