Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Documentaries

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I particularly liked what, I think it was McFarland, telling what happened when he wanted a bigger salary Robin V Per$ie, Na$ri et al, are you listening?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Fred Wiseman, perhaps the greatest American doc maker. Google him to find his stuff.
Happiness can't buy money
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If favourite commentators hasn't been mentioned yet, Sir David Frederick Attenborough IMO is the best there ever was or will be. He can hold my interest for hours with his style and although he seems to do nothing but nature documentaries these days, he would be good with any subject. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Im a big fan of history docs but particularly narrative history docs (where the narrative includes significant original source docs like personal journals and letters that are read by actors). The great American narrative historian Shelby Foote's two series THE CIVIL WAR and PROHIBITION are real standouts. UK equivalents like THE WORLD AT WAR and THE GREAT WAR are similarly excellent watching. I also like David Starkey and Simon Shma's British history series, and John Rohmer's BYZANTIUM.

Using the narrative style brings history to life IMHO and takes it out of the dry and dusty classroom style.

I lament the death of proper educational docs on channels like History, Nat Geo and Discovery. Now its all Ancient Aliens and conspiracy quacks, dog shows and frickin reality TV. Utter drivel.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

sandman, you are dead on about those channels. The frickin history channel shows reruns of M*A*S*H as "history" of the Korean War. In Canada the CBC News Network has two great doc programs "The Passionate Eye" and "DocZone". Both show really good docs on many different topics including many about the adventures of Bush, Rummy and Dickless that wouldn't see the light of day in the USA for example.
Happiness can't buy money
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Im going to plead guilty to a secret..... I also have a big soft spot for the history documentaries done by London Mayor and fully blown public school duffer Boris Johnson. THE DREAM OF ROME and AFTER ROME are great watching - really good interesting history and delivered in typical Boris style...sort of a posh kid telling his mates in the common room a tale crossed with a dash of Rowley Burkin QC from The Fast Show.

Actually.....thats what Boris will end up like I think.

anways....strongly reccd.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
buksida

Post by buksida »

Before anyone gripes about driving in Thailand again I suggest they watch this:

BBC - The World's Most Dangerous Roads
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014hnlb

There are two seasons, six episodes, available from The Box and usual torrent sites.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Very old but what a pearl this one is.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Looking for BBC documentary series 'The Future Is Wild', The Box has it but my ratio isn't high enough to download, torrent sites have no trackers or seeders so can't get it there either. Suggestions/links appreciated!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, as mentioned, no trackers so it just sits there and won't download.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/2553 ... ab=summary

Try this link...loads of seeders..series 3 showing ready in 4 hours on my download
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Weird, tried isohunt yesterday, been sitting there for 24 hours and still wont download.
dld.jpg
Other torrents work fine so no ISP blocking going on ...
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Downloaded the complete series in under one hour from kikass using uTorrent

No Probs
buksida

Post by buksida »

WTF? Also using uTorrent, what ISP are you on? When did you download it? Trying to work out what the problem here is, BBC Prehistoric America is coming in just fine so it can't be the ISP.