TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV mini-series/HBO

Post by sandman67 »

DEADLIEST WARRIOR has started series 3 and is available by episode on line.

I really like this series as they take a good look at weapons used by classic warriors like Spartans and Gladiators, the tactics used etc and then match them up against one another using computer sim software. The weapon tests are particularly interesting and dispel a lot of myths and misunderstandings....for example the legend of the sharpness of the katana - in fact its no more effective at cutting than an English broadsword, but it is much lighter so easier to recover after a blow and redeploy, so a better weapon.

Series 3 seems a lot more "serious" and takes in more the tactics used

series 1 and 2 are easy to find online as well.

definitely a good watch for fans of military history

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

^

I've caught that a few times, pretty good.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I watched my way through '24' a couple of months ago. It was good, edge-of-the-seat-stuff if you could suspend reality and ignore the increasingly gaping holes in the plot and Kiefer Sutherland's limited range of expression (particularly the rapid blinking...).
Currently watching 'SPOOKS', which is an interesting contrast. Very 'understated' by comparison to 24, but just as watchable and much better acting. Also 'PRISON BREAK' - much better than I expected.
But I think if I got too het up about unlikely plot lines and unbelievable twists and turns, I'd never watch anything!

Disappointments, didn't get past 20 minutes - The SOPRANOS, BREAKING BAD and CALIFORNICATION (perhaps overhyped?). SPOOKS CODE 9 doesn't look very promising either.
Had a quick look at 'PRIMEVAL' - not convinced, but will try again.
'MERLIN' - bit too... young!

GLADIATORS looks good, so too ROME. THE BORGIAS? Maybe. THE 4400 has definite potential for a sci-fi fan. 'LOST' has had good reports.

I'm enjoying exploring - it's a new world for me, but I haven't watched so much TV for... probably ever!

Oh, I discovered 'TIME TEAM' on vhd.com recently and am in the middle of downloading literally dozens of episodes. For anyone who doesn't know it and likes history/archeology, it's Brit series fronted by Tony 'Baldrick' Robinson in which a team of archeologists has 3 days to explore a site and find out as much as they can. I prefer the Iron Age/Roman/Saxon stuff myself, but there are lots of very interesting Civil War and medieval digs as well. I have lots of these on my hard drive, but I'll probably scrap them when I've watched them, but if anyone would like to copy them first, please let me know - I must have about 100 episodes over 15 years or so.
This is the way
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

DM, The Sopranos isn't the kind of show you can dismiss after 20 mins, it's arguably the best TV show of all time, my vote is The Wire, but they are the Top 2 without a shadow of a doubt.

They both need a minimum of 5 hours or a season before you get hooked.

They ain't Eastenders.

20 mins, Jesus, The Wire is 60+ hours!

They are slow builders with huge character arcs. The Wire has been compared to the works of Shakespeare by numerous boffins.

Those that scoff ain't seen it.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Best Comedy Shows or should I say my favourites

By far and away the best series I have ever seen is Canadas TRAILER PARK BOYS,this series was mentioned earlier in this topic. Guys,I can't praise this show highly enough. Some guy in Khon Kaen told me about the show and I looked it up on You Tube to watch a clip..I ended up spending about 2 days watching the entire show....then e mailed my Bro in the UK to order it from Amazon.THATS HOW GOOD IT IS!!!

Coming in a close second is Arrested Development

One of my favourite current comedies is MODERN FAMILY.

I must also give special mention to RENO 911....hilarious in parts

THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW is my favourite older comedy....thinking about it because of that show a lot of the shows I have mentioned would not have been made....Ground breaking stuff in its day.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is also worth a download.

DRAMAS

At the moment pretty hooked on THE SHIELD,MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD.

If you don.t trust me check out these shows on www.imdb.com

Happy viewing

TRAILER PARK BOYS TRAILER PARK BOYS TRAILER PARK BOYS
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

DM - Will have to go with BaaBaa on the 20 minute front and the Sopranos/The Wire and would also add that Californication is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time...... 20 minutes??!! Are you having a giraffe? :shock:

Would have to agree with you re: Time Team, great show and one I'd forgotten about..... downloading now!!

Sateeb - comedy wise, several classics you just cannot touch...... Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Black Adder, Red Dwarf.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Time Team episodes show up now and again on True Exp2 here....but haven't seen any pop up in a few months now. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

P Harvey

Well if 30+ yr old comedy is your thing......... :)

There is some new stuff out there....try it ,you might like it!!!!!!

I grew up with the series you mentioned...can't watch 'em forever.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Agree with you Sateeb. Fawlty Towers (one of my all time favorites) is a classic, but they only made 12 episodes and you can only watch them so many times before you can quote them by heart. To watch them over and over and still laugh, I need :rasta:

Modern Family is a good current one as well as the (8 year running) Two and a Half Men. To bad Charlie Sheen imploded in the middle of season 9 and this will be the last good season probably as they are replacing him with Ashton Kutcher. I can't imagine Kutcher playing the part as well as Sheen. Cougar Town and Raising Hope are two other current American sitcoms playing here on Truevisions that have given me several chuckles as well. For you nerds out there or anybody who knew one, The Big Bang Theory is also very funny.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

re earlier post re True Explore channels

1 tends to run mostly animal docs starring bleach blonde braindamage Aussie surfer boys, but Ive noticed they are also running programs by my survival skills hero Ray Mears...great watching. Made by a quiet no nonsense bloke with a deep love of nature and traditional skills. Over on Discovery Bear Grylls is increasingly a dog n pony circus act, and SurvivorMan has come over all soapdodger LonleyPlanet freak. Stick with Ray....you know it makes sense.

2 has a really mixed bag, but the run stuff like TIMEWATCH and other BBC serious history programs. They also run a load of other BBC stuff like the polar exploration programs and WW2 World At War series. Definitely worth keeping an eye on

3 runs a load of Channel 4 style poo watcher hypocondria drivel and medical freak shows, but there are occasional programs on there such as history/archaeology forensics programs and the odd serious astronomy doc..few and far between but well worth catching

worth keeping an eye on when the Hitler Channel, NatGeo and Discovery are having their reality TV nights.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HH Farang

Red Dwarf used to be pretty awesome whilst high on :rasta: but my all time :rasta: moment has gotta be watching the Pink Floyd Live at Pompei DVD.....woooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

― George Carlin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Just finished watching Season 1 of The Shield...just gets better and better.

― George Carlin
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yep, that's a great series. I've watched all (7) seasons. Was sorry to see it end.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Fans or wannabee fans of TRAILER PARK BOYS should check out this YouTube colelction - all of the episodes and specials online, as well as some behind the scenes and deleted material.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7C62CD10A3

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

― George Carlin