History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
PeteC

Re: History Challenge

Post by PeteC »

Ta-da-ta-da...Drum roll! :clap: :clap: :clap: Yes, the answer is the double skin hull. It was the first in history and went all the way up. The distance between hulls was about 2' 10".

50 odd years later the accountants must have taken control of the Titanic construction as they just incorporated a double bottom, and we all know what happened then. :shock:

Double hull not to be confused with water tight compartments, which I think credit goes to the ancient Chinese who built them into their large cargo and war Junks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

post deleted, I didn’t see the latest submissions
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

When did Americans start placing their hand on their heart when singing the national anthem? And why?

No Google, obviously!!
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

A wild guess, but was it after the assassination of a president. Don't know which one.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nope.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wasn't in the curriculum but I'll guess it was after or something to do with a war....blood spilt, heart felt love of country etc. Perhaps WWI?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It was a during a war, but not that one. The sentiments in question were not quite so noble, as would be clear if you knew what the previous gesture was...
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

bellamy_salute_1915.jpg
bellamy_salute_1915.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 205 times
The Bellamy salute is a palm-out salute described by Francis Bellamy, the author of the American Pledge of Allegiance, as the gesture which was to accompany the pledge. During the period when it was used with the Pledge of Allegiance, it was sometimes known as the "flag salute".
[...]
It was officially replaced by the hand-over-heart salute when Congress amended the Flag Code on December 22, 1942.
Replaced for obvious reasons!
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, I looked it up after yesterday's clues. Definitely not something taught in schools there unless you're a history major at university I would think. Pete :cheers:
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

wasn't this salute a Roman thing originally and the hand over the A** a greek thing? :tsk:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

OK I have one

What makeup/fashion item/ kids makeup is so unique that it is accepted as forensic evidence in a crime if matched?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Is it historical as such? Not a fashion crime?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

True, not really historical. I read it and thought it interesting and thought of this thread (obviously without REALLY thinking about it!!).

My bad!! It is glitter and has been used to solve, and convict, people of a crime.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

migrant wrote:True, not really historical. I read it and thought it interesting and thought of this thread (obviously without REALLY thinking about it!!).

My bad!! It is glitter and has been used to solve, and convict, people of a crime.
Damned, you could have held back the answer for a bit more. I think it fit into the thread.