History Challenge

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey
Addict
Addict

Re: History Challenge

Post by pharvey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Well, something I discovered today...... Without doing the usual "Googling", what was President Mandela's first name (originally, i.e. NOT Nelson) and how did he come to be known as Nelson?

:cheers: :cheers:
"You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late". Ray Gravell :wink:

Jimbob
Ace
Ace

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:27 am

had to web surf for it. interesting.
(trying not to use the "G" word or their search engine.)

Jimbob
Ace
Ace

Post by Jimbob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Ok this is a history not tourism question?
Which countries did Japan once attack within 24 hours, and in what order?

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Pearl Harbor USA, Guam and the Philippines on December 7, 1941. Guam and the Philippines where US possessions at the time though.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

Jimbob
Ace
Ace

Post by Jimbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 am

but wait, theres more

Jimbob
Ace
Ace

Post by Jimbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:54 am

OK, PeteC, Japan also did multiple landings in Thailand, Malaya and Hong Kong in the same period. The Dutch declared war on Japan on Dec 8 in support of the USA before Japan attacked the East Indies on dec 17.

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 am

No challenge, just a good place to put a tragic historical story. One of thousands no doubt that most never know anything about or study in any school. Good drawings and a short video at link. Pete :cheers:

Princess Alice disaster: The Thames' 650 forgotten dead

The Princess Alice sank in the River Thames on 3 September 1878, killing hundreds of ordinary Londoners returning home from a day trip to the seaside. The tragedy, now largely forgotten, dominated newspaper headlines and led to changes to the shipping industry.

A boatman hooks another body out of the foul-smelling Thames, a grisly prize that will earn him five shillings.

A few days before, the Princess Alice had been smashed in two as it returned to London packed with men, women and children who had been on a trip to Kent.

About 650 lives were lost and for weeks bodies decayed in the polluted water or washed up on the riverbank........ (continued at link)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-44800309
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

MDMK
Guru
Guru

Post by MDMK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:17 am

pharvey wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm
Well, something I discovered today...... Without doing the usual "Googling", what was President Mandela's first name (originally, i.e. NOT Nelson) and how did he come to be known as Nelson?

:cheers: :cheers:
I've waited patiently for weeks and didn't google. My patience just ran out. :thumb:

I was going to guess Tata or Mandiba, obviously I'd have been wrong on both counts :neener:

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 am

PeteC wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 am
No challenge, just a good place to put a tragic historical story. One of thousands no doubt that most never know anything about or study in any school. Good drawings and a short video at link. Pete :cheers:

Princess Alice disaster: The Thames' 650 forgotten dead
Thanks for posting this Pete. I can't recall hearing of this before, although I might have forgotten, but what a sad and tragic tale.

I think the lady in the film was unfair in saying it had been forgotten as those that died were working class, as from the report, it seems the matter was investigated thoroughly and changes introduced that have helped promote safety across the World. There have beeen many tragedies in the UK and elsewhere that have been simply forgotten in the mists of time.
Talk is cheap