Drink spiked ???????

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
pk67
Novice
Novice

Drink spiked ???????

Post by pk67 »

Beware drink spiking in Thailand and hua hin . My wife and I were in Thailand on the 25-9-2011 to 10-10-2011 and within the first 5 days both of us had our drinks spiked . My wife in Bangkok on the second day of our holiday and myself in hua hin on the 5th day . It was only after my drink was spiked and we compared and contrasted the similiar symptoms that we put two and two together realizing that we had both suffered from drink spiking. The most notable symptoms was complete memory loss for about 5 hours , lack of stability, falling over and uncontrolable laughter . We have never blanked out like this before . Luckily on both occasions one of us was ok and could look after the other.

We arrived at Romantic Bar in hua hin at around 7 pm and it was the only bar that we visited that night. We left the bar at around 9.30 pm . The resident girl was as always was very friendly and also very keen to come back with us , which we constantly had to decline. I had around six drinks of Jack and coke which in thailand are made very weak . My wife and I drink regularly so this is not an excessive amount of alcohol , even at full strength this would not normally have much of an effect on me especially over this time frame . I think our biggest mistake was announcing that the next round of drinks will be our last. This was probably not our wisest decision , especially when the friendly girl thinks she has half a chance.

I dont remember walking out of that bar at around 9.30 pm , shortly after having this last drink . My behaviour walking home was that of a drunkard , even after such a small quantity of alcohol , and the next 5 hours are a complete blank . Like i did three days earlier, when my wifes drink was spiked , she explained to me what i had done after we left Romantic Bar . LIke herself 3 days earlier it was all a complete blank , I simply could not recollect any of these events she described . One such event was when we got back to our room I thought the bedroom closet was the toilet and the shelf as a toilet seat , i consequently urinated in the closet . I have never done this before , and would normally recollect something as significant as this , even in my most drunkin state . Maybe being told that i was laughing and falling in the pools of urine that had streamed around our bedroom might have jogged my memory , but no nothing .

My wife and I have been together for 22 years, and yes we do like a drink , but even in the height of drunkingness we have never experienced complete memory loss. Things sometimes may appear a little hazy the next day but events are normally remembered once you are told about them .

Point is be very careful this drug is cheap and used freely to rip people off . It takes only 10 minutes to kick in , but days to recover. It can cause death , as has happenned in Australia on several occasions recently . There are many precautions you can make , but short of not going to bars in thailand these precautions are never 100% . We were lucky that one of us was still of sound mind , like a having a designated driver , to look out for the other and no great harm came of us , but it could have been a lot worse . Pleae be careful and dont become a victim by being naive and vulnerable ,no matter what bar you are drinking from .
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Drink spiked

Post by dtaai-maai »

Hi pk, welcome.

Spiking drinks has been around for quite a few years in Thailand, but in the few first hand stories I've heard it's been done specifically in order to rob someone.
Why would anyone want to spike the drink of one half of a couple? I can't think of any reason other than pure malice. Nasty.
As a tourist with no long-term interest in HH (and therefore no reason to worry about repercussions), did you go back the next day to speak to the boss? Or the police?
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Drink spiked ???????

Post by hhfarang »

I don't go that that type of bar any longer, but when I did, I was aware of drink spiking schemes and I always drank beer from the bottle and sat at the bar where I could watch it being opened (and never leave a drink alone, like while going to the bathroom; wait until you have finished one and order the next when you return).

As DM wrote above though, it seems pointless in this scenario unless they intended to spike both of you and missed the chance on one of you each time.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pk67
Novice
Novice

Post by pk67 »

Hi . Sorry but I have never used a forum before but thought this is fairly important issue . something happened that has never happened before , and it was not alcohol .
I agree, intention to rob ,then do both of us , just as easy . But this was not the case . so probably in my case this was not the intention. Have no answer here . maybe an easy night ??
Did go to tourist police near the beach but hesitated , as i dont have that much faith in such powers in any asian country . We whimped out basically , without drink samples no hard proof .
Went to bar and said something happened that night but walked straight out .
Just telling it how it happened and let people know where ever they are to be aware.
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

This as i have posted before has happened to me in cha am, and a mate in hua hin as well.I was lucky, but my mate was robbed. The bar you mention has a good name, and i make a point of going there a bit. So i am a little supprized
pk67
Novice
Novice

Post by pk67 »

Who knows ?? It was only me that sufferred the above symptoms ,my wife was ok . Hope that some reading this to be a little more careful and not so gullible to all the charms . this includes myself.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In Europe I've even heard of cases of people spiking drinks purely for fun so there might not be much of a motive at all. These happened in a bar where many young customers were clearly using recreational drugs and thought it funny to do it to a couple of people who weren't which is pretty nasty.
pk67
Novice
Novice

Post by pk67 »

all i am sure of is, i was not right that night and i know where i was drinking that evening . who did it whether staff, patron or anybody else i am not 100% sure . have my theory though . point is no matter who you are or where you drink around the world have to be careful.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Romantic Bar has always been a safe haven for drinkers.
One of the better bars on the strip. Quite surprised at your news.
You should have spoken to the owner the following day otherwise these things just continue.
I'm sure it's owned by an European guy possibly English. This is the last thing either he wants or customers need. Hopefully it's not put you off Hua Hin and you have both made a full recover

:cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

PK67..YOU ARE TALKING ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS..!!!
I HAVE RUN ROMANTIC BAR FOR 11 YEARS NOW..AND EVERYONE WHO KNOWS OF US,AND DRINKS WITH US DO SO IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT WE RUN ONE OF THE TIGHTEST SHIPS IN TOWN.
I AM PROUD OF OUR REPUTATION AS BEING ONE OF THE SAFEST BARS TO DRINK IN AND FOR HAVING SOME OF THE MOST HONEST STAFF IN TOWN. (IF YOUR 'BIN' IS NOT RIGHT,- I WANNA KNOW ABOUT IT!)
ALL OUR GIRLS WILLINGLY AGREE TO HAVE THEIR DETAILS LOGGED ON-FILE AT THE POLICE STATION..THIS IS A POLICY WE HAVE UNDERTAKEN FOR MANY YEARS NOW.
HOW DID YOUR JACK-COKE TASTE?? OUR SPIRITS MEASURES ARE ALWAYS OVER-GENEROUS.
I ACCEPT THE FACT YOU CAME ON THIS FORUM TO HIGHLIGHT THE SCOURGE OF DRINK-SPIKING, BUT RESENT YOUR POST THAT SIMPLY NAMES & SHAMES US.
Thank you 'Lippy45' for your post, I sincerely hope others on here who know Puy & myself
still regard our bar & ourselves in good faith..thanks to you all... U.S.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

I have used this bar many times over the years and never heard of anything like this before, me and mo have never had any problem at all.

The girls are as good as gold and are always polite and friendly and certainly not pushy as claimed.

You should have seen the owner if you really had any complaint at first instance.

Romantic bar is one of the few long established bars with good regular clientel who come back year after year,

Seems strange that your wife had her drink spiked in Bangkok then the same happened to you in hua hin, what are the odds on that?

In over 10 years I have never had a drink spiked in Thailand, but hey maybe im just unlucky. :rasta:

TTM
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Just my take on things!

I think most of the people on here would support the Romantic bar as a friendly safe environment. Certainly one of my favourites. A few beers, watch the world go by, always a winner. Been going since 2005 never a problem for myself or friends.

Op: I find it hard to believe that both you and your wife were BOTH DRUGGED on the SAME TRIP at DIFFERENT VENUES. Boy you must be very unlucky.
As soon as you mentioned 'Romantic Bar' Im thinking you have to be a troll or you have a serious issue with this bar?

US: Im sure you will get support from members on here. You have a great bar and I dont think one lousy thread like is going to stop people from visting you.
We all know the score.

We could always start a poll on this one?

:thumb:
Mandm
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Mandm »

I get similar symptoms after a few longneck chang :) (must lay off it this time)!!!!!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I was just waiting for this before i made comment, firstly how many people come to Hua Hin and stay in the same small bar all night highly unlikly being at the bottom of the Bintabaht and his mrs got spiked in Bangers only five days previous, this is all a load of rubbish in my opinion.

Now with spiking drinks it has happened to a mate of mine down soi cowboy, no uncontrollable laughter pissing in rooms or five hours of mayhem it was ten hours sleep and another twelve hours for him to realise what day of the week it was compleate memory loss.

Now i Have never met C, the owner of this bar but i have drunk in there over the years i had a couple of good drinks this year with our Richard from the forum, the girls are sound and do there job well, and they dont scrimp on the mesures i drank beers and the same as our Richard whisky lime and soda good happy mesures in my opinion a well run little bar i will go back to every visit to Hua Hin.

Now i just think spite here always someone in Hua Hin trying to shaft someone else, maybe another bar owner.

DONT STAY AWAY FROM THIS SMALL LITTLE BAR ITS ONE OF THE BEST ON THE BINTA BLOCK. :D

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I forgot, i have had a few beers :troll:
US you can count on me for some custom nice little bar mate. :cheers:

Kendo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.