Violent bar attack, Tang Rot Fai.

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Violent bar attack, Tang Rot Fai.

Post by Korkenzieher »

Last night, I was witness to a rather strange - though unremittingly violent - event.

At a Thai bar close to the railway, at about 3.30am, some problem started outside. I was told there was a fight, or fighting outside. At about 4am, the bar was invaded -en masse - by Thai 'squaddies' in pursuit of 2 or 3 individuals. Two of them disappeared. I saw where, but won't say here. The pursuers were clearly intent on doing them harm, picking up stools to use as clubs, and whacking them on table tops as they moved through.

This was no indisciplined attack - orders were barked and 6-8 guys dashed off to check the toilets.

Eventually, one guy was singled out from the crowd - on what basis I do not know - and he was set upon by about a dozen young, uniformed army types. For just long enough to hurt him - nothing more.

As they surged through the bar, there was much smashing of glass, but on close inspection, only liqueur bottles had been broken - really - on every table, there was perhaps a dozen bottles of soda, coke etc., but only the liqueur bottle was picked up and smashed. Mine included. :cry:

It appeared to be all over. We left.

As I got on my motor cycle, 20 metres to the left, the army truck, unmarked, pulled out with its men, perhaps 30, none older than say 22 or 23. 20 metres to the right, the police arrived, conspicuously ignoring it.

As we left, the poor chap who had been assaulted was being aided, but was clearly in need of a bit more than basic first aid, and was being helped into a pick-up truck.

Now whatever the cause I would simply comment that this was first hand witness and experience. The bar itself is not widely frequented by farang. Most of the times I have been there (about a half dozen) I was the only non Thai there.

In my opinion - and this is only opinion - it was co-ordinated, controlled assault (for whatever reason) on a bar where there had been until that point no issue, and in my experience never has been (though I understand there have been issues there in the past).
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Violent bar attack, Tang Rot Fai.

Post by MrPlum »

Korkenzieher wrote:Eventually, one guy was singled out from the crowd - on what basis I do not know - and he was set upon by about a dozen young, uniformed army types. For just long enough to hurt him - nothing more.
It could be that the 2-3 men had picked a fight with a soldier and his pals showed up en masse to explain to them that it wasn't such a good idea. I've seen this a few times in the UK, although the men would not be in uniform.

3.30 am? You must have pretty good staying power. :thumb:
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Violent bar attack, Tang Rot Fai.

Post by Spitfire »

Korkenzieher wrote:..... 20 metres to the right, the police arrived, conspicuously ignoring it.
That's because the police cannot arrest any soldiers in uniform, don't have the power to do so and if they really want to then they have to get in contact with the local army commander to get permission which might involve waiting for an army officer to turn up to go with them. There is a special police force that has the power to arrest both civilians or army personel and I think their uniforms are blue or black, can't remember, but you don't see them very often, especially outside BBK.

I have also seen examples of army officers acting with impunity while the police look on, for example, a year ago I saw an army officer give a couple of scooter boys a whipping for knocking him of his motorbike outside a busy train station while the cops just looked on and smiled. Goes to show who's really in charge here.

Have to agree with MrP there, 3:30am? Hardcore drinking times.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's after legal bar hours isn't it? Maybe it was some kind of raid for being open at that hour and that's why they broke only the liquor bottles (to teach the owner a lesson).
3.30 am? You must have pretty good staying power.
Yes you must, the only time I'm up past midnight any more is once a year on New Year's eve... :oops:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:That's after legal bar hours isn't it? Maybe it was some kind of raid for being open at that hour and that's why they broke only the liquor bottles (to teach the owner a lesson).
3.30 am? You must have pretty good staying power.
Yes you must, the only time I'm up past midnight any more is once a year on New Year's eve... :oops:
HHF, inquiring minds need to know why you have changed from a fierce, spiked puffer fish into a clown fish? As only a few of us portray ourselves as seafood, this is an important issue! :shock: :P Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Pete, I wanted to show my softer, gentler, more feminine :shock: and less argumentative side.

Those who know me personally think I'm more of a clown that a puffed up spiky blow(hard) fish! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I once witnessed a similar fight in a bar in Jakarta.
It was actually quite funny because these four hard looking young guys were basically trying to do as much damage to the bar as possible.
They threw another lad onto every table in the place until it was destroyed.
I later found out that it was due to a spat over protection rackets.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I think what others have said, a dispute over something involving the bar and a soldier is most likely, but the thought did occur to me that it might have been the soldiers taking offence at the bar being open and serving alcohol on the King's Birthday? As it was only liquor bottles being smashed is that possible?
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

hhfarang and wanderlust's comments in particular:

Yes it is after normal closing, but this and other Thai bars seem to ignore that on a regular basis. I have been there a handful of times and the main performer doesn't come on stage until about 3, and for him, the place is (deservedly IMHO) packed out (last night it was a different 'headliner', which in itself could be a clue). Certainly it hasn't even looked like closing before 4 any time I have been there.

One could question the wisdom of that particularly when the night is the 4th Dec and crosses into the Kings birthday. Personally, I felt the attack was co-ordinated in some way and I can be fairly sure it was the ownership which was targetted, though the actual cause of it would be pure speculation.

However, in the best spirit of pure speculation it did cross my mind that the liquer bottles being targetted, the date, and the fact it was the owners being pursued did seem to be less than, shall we say, coincidence would allow for. Nobody was harmed in the slightest way, other than the one chap that was quite thoroughly roughed up, and they appear to have spotted him in the crowd, as opposed to have selected him from the crowd.

as for my staying power, there was a lot of 'personal politics' of a distinctly Thai nature going on around a friend of mine, and I decided to get one or 2 people out of the way, and by the by provide them with an alibi. Some date huh!
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

The army has been doing the rounds up and down the Binta with clip boards and i was told it was drug inforcement officers about 6-8 of them.

Kendo.
:cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Whenever you're a tourist on this planet, and you come across the local population fighting; - slip away quickly and quietly..

..the focus of attention can easily switch if the combatants realise they are being watched by some foreigner..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Always the violence in Luk Nam is Police vs Army

Nearly shot there once
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

uncle tom wrote:Whenever you're a tourist on this planet, and you come across the local population fighting; - slip away quickly and quietly..

..the focus of attention can easily switch if the combatants realise they are being watched by some foreigner..

Tom
Too true. Try and make sure the bill is paid first though :idea:
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

There are 1001 and one stories told in Hua Hin and this is just one of them....
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Someone got up the wrong person's nose and was called to account. Best to melt away when the shite gets near the fan
Happiness can't buy money