England Football Geography

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

England Football Geography

Post by PeteC »

I saw a quiz awhile back that asked which are the furthest North, South, East and West clubs geographically in England? I would have thought the furtherst east would have been Colchester, but it wasn't. Anyone like to take a stab at it? I don't have the correct answers. :cheers: Pete

PS: I believe the question included all divisions.
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

Farthest north - Berwick Rangers playing in the Scottish league ?????
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

I would say Carlisle for the north (although it could be Berwick), they play in the scottish league but think they are actually situated just this side of the border.
Plymouth would be the West
Bournmouth the South
Norwich or Hull for the East
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Maybe Newcastle for east.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

west and south: Plymouth
east: Norwich
North: Newcastle
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Apart from the person who mentioned Berwick (the most most northerly town) in England, I think you all need a geography lesson before you think about football clubs.

Someone mentioned Norwich (probably the most easterly of the top division clubs and someone else said Hull afterwards. Hull is a full 100 KM west of Norwich and then Bournemouth mentioned after Plymouth. (40KM North).

Anyway the correct answer for adult soccer clubs is:

Berwick (North)
Penzance AFC (both South and West)
Lowestoft Town (East)

If they have to be in the first four divisions of the English FA it is Newcastle. Plymouth (S & W) and Norwich respectively.

These answers would satisfy the quizmaster I think. From a Chelsea supporter's view it would be.

F/*&*ing Man United. North
Wan*&^ing Woosie West Ham East
Milltossersf*&ingwall South

NOW to test your geography what are the most Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern States of the United States.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Too easy Guess!
North and West - Alaska
South - Florida
East - Maine

NEXT!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:Too easy Guess!
North and West - Alaska
South - Florida
East - Maine

NEXT!
Obviously not too easy as you only scored 50%. Looks like you are another one in need of a geography lesson.

You got North and West right but the other two were wrong. BTW this is not a trick question it is simply a geographical fact and only relates to the official 50 US states. No dependicies or protectorates.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:Maybe Newcastle for east.
I suppose so if you could rotate the island of Great Britain through ninety degrees clockwise or maybe you were in a horizontal position when you last looked at a map.

Newcastle must be about on the same longitude as Bournemouth or Reading.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

What state were you in last night? :wink:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Guess wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:Too easy Guess!
North and West - Alaska
South - Florida
East - Maine

NEXT!
Obviously not too easy as you only scored 50%. Looks like you are another one in need of a geography lesson.

You got North and West right but the other two were wrong. BTW this is not a trick question it is simply a geographical fact and only relates to the official 50 US states. No dependicies or protectorates.
I'll get this wrong and woe behold for sure. The Midway chain is indeed an official part of the Hawaiian Islands. I do not know if the Berring(sp) chain has the same status concerning Alaska. This may influence the answer concerning West.

South may be the bottom western portion of Texas or California. (I'm editing this as I go. It can't be Texas. Key West Florida is only 90 miles from Cuba and due west from Cuba is Cozumel, Mexico. It has to be California.)

East may be the islands off the Carolinas...name????.....CRS has struck. Pete

PS: No search engine used....closed the eyes an that's what I saw.

PPS: DAMN IT Guess, you're good. An hour after the above (and I am so glad you have not replied yet...LOL) it dawned on me. I also lived there for 5 years, in Hilo. South Point on the Big Island of Hawaii is the southern most point in the USA.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

South --- FL (key west)

North and West -- Alaska (Midway is not part of the state of Hi)

East -- Massachuetts (Cape Cod) ??
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HansMartin wrote:South --- FL (key west)

North and West -- Alaska (Midway is not part of the state of Hi)

East -- Massachuetts (Cape Cod) ??
My understanding is that the entire chain is but, under environmental control and not open to development or habitation. Pete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Islands
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

prcscct wrote:
I'll get this wrong and woe behold for sure. The Midway chain is indeed an official part of the Hawaiian Islands. I do not know if the Berring(sp) chain has the same status concerning Alaska. This may influence the answer concerning West.

South may be the bottom western portion of Texas or California. (I'm editing this as I go. It can't be Texas. Key West Florida is only 90 miles from Cuba and due west from Cuba is Cozumel, Mexico. It has to be California.)

East may be the islands off the Carolinas...name????.....CRS has struck. Pete

PS: No search engine used....closed the eyes an that's what I saw.

PPS: DAMN IT Guess, you're good. An hour after the above (and I am so glad you have not replied yet...LOL) it dawned on me. I also lived there for 5 years, in Hilo. South Point on the Big Island of Hawaii is the southern most point in the USA.
Pete you are almost there. I believe Midway is a dependancy or protectorate, or an owned island. However you were on the right track the first time. The Aluetian Islands in the Bering Sea are part of Alaska and some of them are in the Eastern Hemisphere. I can't remember the name of the most easterly one. As for the Southernmost point you are spot on. It is also (I think) the only state of the US that is in the tropics.

So well done Pete and Wanderlust please stay behind after school the teacher wants a few words with you.

As for Jocley's question, the answer after hours of research is 58.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Guess wrote:[As for the Southernmost point you are spot on. It is also (I think) the only state of the US that is in the tropics.
I've actually done this. If you take a world map and draw a straight line from Hilo, Hawaii, you hit Chang Mai to the left and Mazzatlan, Mexico to the right. From Southpoint to Thailand you would probably hit around Lopburi.

I don't recall below which latitude the tropics start? At least some of Hawaii is surely in it, except Midway. :P Pete