AIS shown red card over footie coverage

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
buksida

AIS shown red card over footie coverage

Post by buksida »

Thailand's biggest mobile operator, Advanced Info Service (AIS), has been ordered to stop broadcasting World Cup games on its AIS Play application according to a June 26 order by the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court.

The move came after TrueVisions Group recently petitioned the court to seek protection for its broadcasting rights after alleging a violation by two subsidiaries of AIS; namely, Mimo Tech and Super Broadband Network, over their inclusion of World Cup matches on an AIS mobile application.

AIS countered that its Play app includes the free Thai TV stations, which have been showing Fifa World Cup 2018 matches, in accordance National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's (NBTC) "must-carry" rules, although the company itself has neither a licence from Fifa nor permission from TrueVisions Group, which is the mediator supervising the broadcasting rights of this year's World Cup tournament in Thailand.

The court on Tuesday ordered the two companies to stop showing matches on the AIS Play app as it considered the mobile broadcasts of the games by the two companies to be a violation of TrueVisions Group's rights for the tournament.

In a statement, TrueVisions Group said it is concerned that Fifa may terminate its contract due to copyright infringement by other companies which might jeopardise Thai football fans' ability to watch Fifa events in the future.

Live broadcasts of all World Cup matches are currently available on various channels such as the Royal Thai Army's Channel 5, True4U Channel 24, Amarin TV Channel 34 and their official websites.

Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/te ... e-coverage
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: AIS shown red card over footie coverage

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I reported this on the World Cup thread 2 days ago:
My TV
My TV
DSC04910.jpg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Press Release:

AIS Apologizes Customers for Taking World Soccer Cup 2018 Off the Air as
True Filed Lawsuit Against via App AIS PLAY and AIS PLAYBOX

Super Broadband Network Limited Company (SBN), an AIS subsidiary having
license to broadcast programs and contents under non-bandwidth operating
category, has been broadcasting programs from free TV stations including
World Soccer Cup 2018 from TV channel 5 HD , True 4U channel, and Amarin
TV Channel 34 via App AIS PLAY and AIS PLAYBOX since the tournament began
until June 27, 2018.

SBN would like to clarify and confirm that the company’s broadcast of World
Soccer Cup 2018 from TV Channel 5 HD, True 4U channel, and Amarin TV
Channel 34 via App AIS PLAY and AIS PLAYBOX has been legal as we are binding
to comply with NBTC’s Must-Carry policy which states that the public has the
rights to directly access all television programs on free TV constantly with no
alteration, duplication, and modification of broadcast timetables nor program
contents as it is part of consumer rights protection to provide information
access with equality in every distribution channel.

Due to the lawsuit filed by True Vision Group against SBN, the Central
Intellectual Property and International Trade Court has issued an order to SBN
to stop broadcasting World Soccer Cup 2018 effective June 28, 2018, from 5:00
pm onwards.

SBN would like to apologize our viewers for taking the program off the air to
comply with the court order.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It all seems a bit of a 'handbags at dawn' scenario. The fact is that you can watch the world cup dozens of ways without involving True. Firstonetv.eu, for example, are showing every game and it's free along with plenty of others.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Exactly, the service was first class, but no better than many other services. I think I've made my feelings about True known on here, and this is just another example.

This action would never draw me to signing up for True, which is obviously their intention. Quite the opposite in fact.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think you're being a bit harsh on True, to be honest. Companies that show the World Cup, even for free, still have to be licenced via FIFA and AIS weren't and they shouldn't have been doing what they were doing. I think you should be blaming AIS, not True.

Can you imagine BBC ignoring ITV doing a similar thing in the UK?

The fact it can be viewed for free legally on 3 mainstream Thai TV channels is pretty good really and the fact it can also be watched, probably illegally, via other services, doesn't really enter into it.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've had plenty of dealing with True over a long period. In my opinion they could have done it better, as with most things, but they are too arrogant for that. You can't discuss anything with them - their word is final.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm I've had plenty of dealing with True over a long period. In my opinion they could have done it better, as with most things, but they are too arrogant for that. You can't discuss anything with them - their word is final.
We'll have to agree to differ on this BB, but I think it's self-evident who is at fault in respect of the WC. The courts certainly think so and judging by the response of AIS to the decision, it seems the only option to resolve this matter was via the Courts.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But why? And why now? There are so many violators of the (what is it, a) license, it seems to be a pretty futile headline grabbing act.

I'm not disagreeing that AIS are probably at fault.

I'm talking to 2 other friends via Messenger as I type, both on your estate. We are each using a different solution to watch France vs Argentina - all probably illegal, all perfect reception. Numerous wrongs don't make a right, but if they can't police the whole of Thailand, what have they achieved? Made a few extra enemies.

Incidentally, Mbappe is the first player to really impress me in this tournament.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well although the courts found against them, AIS transmitted these channels as they believed it was legal:
SBN would like to clarify and confirm that the company’s broadcast of World
Soccer Cup 2018 from TV Channel 5 HD, True 4U channel, and Amarin TV
Channel 34 via App AIS PLAY and AIS PLAYBOX has been legal as we are binding
to comply with NBTC’s Must-Carry policy which states that the public has the
rights to directly access all television programs on free TV constantly with no
alteration, duplication, and modification of broadcast timetables nor program
contents as it is part of consumer rights protection to provide information
access with equality in every distribution channel.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:27 pm Well although the courts found against them, AIS transmitted these channels as they believed it was legal
Yes, that was in the original article. But as you say, the Courts found against them.

I think it is harder for any single company to legislate against illegal streaming into Thailand, which is why the FA and FIFA have 'protection teams', as they know they won't be able to market their product if companies like True turn around and say, what's the point of paying huge sums for exclusive rights, when it's not exclusive?

And let's not forget what happened to Thaiexpat TV.

But I'm sure Thailand could do more, but as ever here, someone will be taking a back hander from someone to let things be.

But can I ask a question - why is anyone bothering to use another source for watching the World Cup when there is free coverage on mainstream TV here? Or are the talking head analysts so important (the inclusion of 'anal' was entirely appropriate in respect of some :D )?
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm not a football fan but listening to others, it seems to be a case of having an English commentary. I guess the relevant Thai channels are in Thai only.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:56 pm I guess the relevant Thai channels are in Thai only.
Nope! :D
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still ask, what have they achieved other than make a few enemies?

I've probably got another dozen ways of watching the football, and could probably find 2 dozen more in a few minutes. This action is achieving nothing.

AIS broadcast these same channels everyday with no problem. Do you not think True should have headed this off months ago and sorted it out in advance? Why go for the headline catching court action?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm And let's not forget what happened to Thaiexpat TV.
Does anybody actually know what really happened to Thaiexpat TV?

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:48 pm I still ask, what have they achieved other than make a few enemies?

I've probably got another dozen ways of watching the football, and could probably find 2 dozen more in a few minutes. This action is achieving nothing.

AIS broadcast these same channels everyday with no problem. Do you not think True should have headed this off months ago and sorted it out in advance? Why go for the headline catching court action?
Why not? Because Thais are reactors not actors and they are a backwards thinking people. Exs: Work on the roads during tourist season, Work on electrical problems all day in the summer, drive north to turn around and drive south, cancel health insurance because their getting older and won't need it. And on and on.