2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: 2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by PeteC »

Verstappen will end up on the Fox Channel "Demolition Derby" circuit sooner or later. Perhaps sooner. The kid has a head problem me thinks. Competitive great, reckless not so great. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They couldn't get the car repaired in time for the last qualifying, so he will start at the back.

I saw the replay of his crash. Seemed a bit weird, he did not appear to even attempt to avoid the wall?
Daniel Ricardo on pole with a new lap record for the track. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Well done, Pete. :cheers:
Monaco Result.jpg
Monaco Result.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 283 times
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Monaco Leader.jpg
Monaco Leader.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A very much deserved win by Daniel Ricardo at Monaco. Vettel second and Hamilton third. A very entertaining race with no serious incidents. It must be the most demanding F1 race track on the circuit.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Totally agree about Ricciardo's well deserved win, and any street circuit takes an enormous amount of concentration, but street circuits are just pretty boring from a spectator's point of view. Thank goodness Verstappen ended up at the tail end to provide a few overtaking maneouvres to watch. It must have been one of the most incident-free Monaco races for a long time. Only one virtual safety car.

I just love to see Ricciardo on the podium. He's got such a fabulous smile and enjoys the moment (unlike other podium finishers...).

VS
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

VS wrote
I just love to see Ricciardo on the podium
¨

It just makes me sick to see him drink champagne from his shoe and offer it to this other guy as well. :alien:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The scoring seems to have altered, looking at the superbru site Bamboo Grove is the yellow cap and Pete lost a point, or am I missing something? :)
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The whole result has changed since VS posted at 2230 last night. Here is the new version of the results. I haven't looked at or compared the standings chart yet.....
phplYwNV9PM.jpg
phplYwNV9PM.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, the leaderboard has changed significantly as well. Who knows if this is the final version as Sunday night in SAF where Superbru is and perhaps a computer doing all of this unattended. Lets see if any more changes when SAF opens for business this morning.
phpgEaUsjPM.jpg
phpgEaUsjPM.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 266 times
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I have looked at it again and it appears to be the fastest lap has changed.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, I guess it is the old story of "you can please some of the people some of the time......etc...…
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Monaco under fire after 'most boring F1 race ever' claims

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports ... recent_box

MONACO: The Monaco Grand Prix faced a growing barrage of criticism on Monday after Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton described it as "probably the most boring race ever".

Daniel Ricciardo's winning performance on Sunday in his power-reduced Red Bull may have boosted his value in the drivers' market and given him an outside tilt at the title, but the dull procession behind him was widely condemned as a spectacle.

Two-time world champion Alonso, twice a winner on the narrow street circuit in the Mediterranean principality, was not the first or only driver to complain after a contest lacking incident and excitement.

It was the first Monaco race without the deployment of a safety car since 2009.

That Ricciardo could win from pole position in a car that had had its power reduced by 25 percent confirmed both his maturing talent and the enforced tedious mediocrity of the racing.

Alonso, of McLaren, was only echoing what championship leader and defending champion Hamilton had said after finishing third behind Ricciardo and fellow four-time champion German Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari.

"Extremely boring. I mean, this is probably the most boring race ever," said Alonso. "Without a safety car, without yellow flags, I think the sport needs to think a little bit about the show because this is very disappointing.

"So I think we probably need to give something to the fans at the end of the race just to pay the ticket back a little. I think it is Monaco -– the way it is. It think it is quite boring. We just start in our qualifying position and we run to the flag in that position."

Finn Kimi Raikkonen, in the second Ferrari, started and finished fourth.
"Qualifying decides everthing here," he said. "Not a lot happens. Everyone drives around behind each other and whoever is in front dictates the speed."

Hamilton had set the tone among the senior drivers when he said: "The tyres were not great, but we were all driving so slow... it was not an attacking race -- we were just cruising. It was not racing.
"I will be shocked if anyone was awake at home while it was on, because I would have been asleep on the couch."

- Headache for Liberty Media -
The predictability of the Monaco race is normally forgiven if there is some incident to enliven the glamorised choreography of what is a largely corporate festival, but this year’s contest plumbed new depths of mediocrity.
It has presented F1's new American owners Liberty Media with a major problem as they grapple with the task of brightening up the show without losing its traditional values.

Hamilton suggested looking over the Atlantic for inspiration to create a closer race.
"You look at Nascar, they put in a bunch of safety cars for no reason at all to bunch the pack up. There's like 100 yellow flags in the race to bring them all together."

The main problem, this time, appeared to be the new "hyper-soft" Pirelli tyres.
They produced stunning one lap speed, but lacked durability and, as a result, in a one-stop race on a tight street track where overtaking is virtually impossible, drivers were instructed to be conservative and make their alternative "ultra-soft" tyres last the distance.

"We must decide what we want... If they want to push, we must produce more consistent tyres, less sensitive to over-heating," Pirelli racing chief Mario Isola said.
"But if we go softer, it is the other way and there is overheating and then they have to cruise."
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They want to make it non-boring, get rid of any and all of the damn tire rules and most technology. Let it be a motor car again driven by a man as it was in the past. :idea: Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is what Nereus was talking about on the "Electric Car" thread concerning self recharging systems. To me another clear example that this is not racing, it's some kind of abomination dreamt up by Eccelstone and his cronies to make money, IMO. :banghead: Pete :cheers:

"Daniel Ricciardo usually wins the hard way – and that’s exactly what he’ll have to do if he is to triumph in Canada this weekend, with the news that the Red Bull driver is set to take a grid penalty.

The Honey Badger fended off Sebastian Vettel to claim his first Monaco Grand Prix victory last time out, but did so without the use of the MGU-K after the power unit component - which recovers energy under braking and redeploys it to the power train - failed with more than half the race to go."..............

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... nalty.html
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Canadian Grand Prix: Sebastian Vettel on pole, Lewis Hamilton fourth

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44425994
1. Vettel
2. Bottas
3. Verstappen

Vettel edged Hamilton's Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas by 0.093 seconds as Red Bull's Max Verstappen sneaked ahead of Hamilton with his final lap.
Hamilton was unusually out of sorts on a track at which he has excelled so many times, and a series of mistakes left him struggling to keep up.