2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by redzonerocker »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am
Well they don’t seem to have done too bad so far, irrespective of the opposition, just ask Germany, Brazil, Argentina etc, they would all swap places with England!!
I've no doubt they would.
Brazil and Argentina got knocked out by the two teams in the other semi final, no shame in that . . . . . nobody gives a toss about Germany, possibly the most enjoyable part of the WC when they got knocked out. :wink: :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

redzonerocker wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am
Well they don’t seem to have done too bad so far, irrespective of the opposition, just ask Germany, Brazil, Argentina etc, they would all swap places with England!!
I've no doubt they would.
Brazil and Argentina got knocked out by the two teams in the other semi final, no shame in that . . . . . nobody gives a toss about Germany, possibly the most enjoyable part of the WC when they got knocked out. :wink: :mrgreen:
Even my 12 year old daughter doesn't like Germany and she's 1/4 German! :laugh: She found some knock off football jerseys in a store and at this late date only had a choice XXL of Germany, Argentina and ? and ?, she picked Argentina! :shock: She uses it to sleep in. :D Perhaps she'll score points with her Spanish teacher when school starts. :idea:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Germany shirts have been available at highly discounted prices for a while now. :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Close enough now. I've got both England and Belgium 2-1. The build up stress is starting to get to me. Fingers crossed! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

redzonerocker wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:14 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:39 pm You can't expect consistent high quality playing when the players don't play together regularly. The World Cup (WC) is a professional pick-up sandlot game.
It always has in the past. :idea: :thumb:

I'm wondering how much the amount of money in football has had an affect on the International game? :?
Cash is King. As in all sports, the owners with the most money have the biggest choice of players. Once you attract (buy) a couple of good players than other good players want to join them and it goes on and on until you have a Real Madrid, Golden State Warriors, New England Patriots type of situation. On the other hand you can't dictate parity and make players go where they don't want to go. It's always, follow the money.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 pmCash is King.
Well, I see Ronaldo has signed a £500K a week contract with Juventus....... Truly obnoxious money (and yes I'm jealous)!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am Well, I see Ronaldo has signed a £500K a week contract with Juventus....... Truly obnoxious money (and yes I'm jealous)!
Obscene amount of money especially for a player in the twilight of his career, he's 33 ffs. :shock: :?
These kind of deals have ruined the game. :|
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

redzonerocker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 am
pharvey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am Well, I see Ronaldo has signed a £500K a week contract with Juventus....... Truly obnoxious money (and yes I'm jealous)!
Obscene amount of money especially for a player in the twilight of his career, he's 33 ffs. :shock: :?
probably as much to do with shirt sales and endorsements as playing time.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

France v Belgium, great match, both teams really went for it and the referee let them get on with it, in the main. No Latin American histrionics or cheating.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:06 am France v Belgium, great match, both teams really went for it and the referee let them get on with it, in the main. No Latin American histrionics or cheating.
Well, as most know I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but have to admit I do enjoy the knockout stages of big tournaments where teams actually play to win - must admit enjoyed the game. England, if they reach the final are going to have a tough job (as they would have done with Belgium quite frankly).

[EDIT] OH, and hey - even as a Welshman I'm hoping for the win (even if it just shuts you up about '66).

:cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by pharvey on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 am probably as much to do with shirt sales and endorsements as playing time.
That's a lot of shirts to sell and in general, Italy is pretty much bankrupt. :shock:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 am

Well, as most know I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but have to admit I do enjoy the knockout stages of big tournaments where teams actually play to win - must admit enjoyed the game. England, if they reach the final are going to have a tough job (as they would have done with Belgium quite frankly).

:cheers: :cheers:
Yep, agree.
I don't think it mattered either way who won tonight, two good teams that play very similar styles.
One thing with it being France, if we go in front, some of their players might change sides :mrgreen: . . . . . . . . that's if we get through!!!!!!!! :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 amprobably as much to do with shirt sales and endorsements as playing time.
Not sure if you're referring to the player or the club there arcadianagain, but as I understand from the news, the 500K is a "basic salary" :roll: and he'll earn a fair bit more from endorsements and sponsorship. Added to this, apparently the bugger gets a tax break because he's earning in Italy!!

Just mind blowing to me.......

Bar steward!! :banghead:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

redzonerocker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 amObscene amount of money especially for a player in the twilight of his career, he's 33 ffs. :shock: :?
Apologies - moving from the World Cup thread a little (or then again many transfers being discussed due to it), but he's on a 4 year deal making him 37 - how many players have been around at that age in top flight football? As I say, not a great supporter, but the ex Chelsea defender etc.?
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:34 am

Apologies - moving from the World Cup thread a little (or then again many transfers being discussed due to it), but he's on a 4 year deal making him 37 - how many players have been around at that age in top flight football? As I say, not a great supporter, but the ex Chelsea defender etc.?
He'll actually be 38 by the time his deal finishes.
There have been a few players that played well into their 30's, Ryan Giggs is the best example of late, but he only played a bit part in later seasons and wasn't getting £500k a week . :wink:

Pretty much the most farcical transfer of modern times in my opinion. :|