2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by dtaai-maai »

No, I blame the co-codamol! I'm definitely staying away from the Trump thread...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm going to wait for the final audit per below before we declare a pool winner. Bamboo is listed as first and that would mean 1 point "results" have more value than 3 point "exacts". I personally don't understand that thinking, but if that's their system, that's their system. Lets wait and see. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Here's the rule as printed: "How does tie-breaking work?
If players have the same score total, rank is determined by the higher number of correct match outcomes predicted (right winner or draw regardless of score), then higher number of exact scores, higher number of close scores and finally lower total closeness. Note that it's not your total exact or close points that counts, it is how many instances of exact or close picks you have: so an exact counts as 1, not 3. Players still matching are tied for rank."

If I understand that correctly Bamboo = 33 and BigBoy = 31

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 00.29.16.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 00.29.16.png (53.8 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 00.30.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 00.30.17.png (50.11 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Can the person who picked France to win the cup in our poll please identify yourself so we can give you a :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I'm going to wait for the final audit per below before we declare a pool winner. Bamboo is listed as first and that would mean 1 point "results" have more value than 3 point "exacts". I personally don't understand that thinking, but if that's their system, that's their system. Lets wait and see. Pete :cheers:
They haven't updated it yet. BigBoy is the champion, congrats. I played my final day tactics wrong. Knowing I had to better his score today, I went for the unlikely result but he had done the same. I still have to work on my final day tactics in the future. Good competition all. :cheers:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:28 pm No, I blame the co-codamol! I'm definitely staying away from the Trump thread...
I'd stay out of Night Crawlers too . . . :shock: . . . . :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 am
They haven't updated it yet. BigBoy is the champion, congrats. I played my final day tactics wrong. Knowing I had to better his score today, I went for the unlikely result but he had done the same. I still have to work on my final day tactics in the future. Good competition all. :cheers:
Thank you BG, but you pipped me at the post. My head said France, but my heart said Croatia. Well done BG :dance: :dance: :dance:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

It’s was a great final, easily the best game of the tournament. France deserved winners and with Croatia and Belgium rightly making up the top three. In horse racing terms they were the money riders and the rest also-rans.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

My head said France, but my heart said Croatia
Had I thought I was defending my lead, I would have gone for France but as I said before, I had to better Big Boy's score, I went for Croatia. There was still a chance that JJBones would have bettered both of us.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

It was an entertaining final but another game spoiled by poor officiating again, despite the use of a VAR, which is proving more of a hindrance than help.

First French goal is never a free kick in a million years and the penalty, despite all the VAR viewings is a complete joke.
Has to be a deliberate hand to ball, not ball to hand, and the fact that it travelled less than a foot from the attempted header from the French player also should have been taken into account.

So two goals gifted by the officials and Croatia were always chasing the game, perfectly suiting the French style of play. :roll:

Judging by the social and media postings, only Germany could have possibly been less popular winners. :shock: :mrgreen:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

JWWhite wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am It’s was a great final, easily the best game of the tournament. France deserved winners and with Croatia and Belgium rightly making up the top three. In horse racing terms they were the money riders and the rest also-rans.
Yep, easy to make the predictions when the tournament is over and all the results are in. :wink:
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

redzonerocker wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm
JWWhite wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am It’s was a great final, easily the best game of the tournament. France deserved winners and with Croatia and Belgium rightly making up the top three. In horse racing terms they were the money riders and the rest also-rans.
Yep, easy to make the predictions when the tournament is over and all the results are in. :wink:
David Beckham decides to go horse riding. Although he has had no previous experience he skilfully mounts the horse and appears in complete command of the situation as the horse gallops along at a steady pace, Victoria admiringly watching her husband. After a short time David becomes a little casual and he begins to lose his grip in the saddle, he panics and grabs the horse round the neck shouting for it to stop. Victoria starts to scream and shout for someone to help her husband as David has by this time slipped completely out of the saddle and is only saved from hitting the ground by the fact that he still has a grip on the horse's neck. David decides that his best chance is to leap away from the horse, but his foot has become entangled in one of the stirrups. As the horse gallops along David's head is banging on the ground and he is slipping into unconsciousness. Victoria is now frantic and screams and screams for help!! Hearing her screams, the Tesco security guard comes out of the store and unplugs the horse
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

JWWhite wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm David Beckham decides to go horse riding. Although he has had no previous experience he skilfully mounts the horse and appears in complete command of the situation as the horse gallops along at a steady pace, Victoria admiringly watching her husband. After a short time David becomes a little casual and he begins to lose his grip in the saddle, he panics and grabs the horse round the neck shouting for it to stop. Victoria starts to scream and shout for someone to help her husband as David has by this time slipped completely out of the saddle and is only saved from hitting the ground by the fact that he still has a grip on the horse's neck. David decides that his best chance is to leap away from the horse, but his foot has become entangled in one of the stirrups. As the horse gallops along David's head is banging on the ground and he is slipping into unconsciousness. Victoria is now frantic and screams and screams for help!! Hearing her screams, the Tesco security guard comes out of the store and unplugs the horse

I'm sure there's a purpose, maybe even a moral to this post :shock: :rasta:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I see the result was greeted by night of rioting and looting in Paris and one or two other places. God knows what would have happened if the French had lost!
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ That happens everywhere it seems unfortunately. Every major sports championship won in the US has some rioting on the night by drunken cretins. :cuss: Pete :cheers:
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Croatia lose, their fans remain dignified and enjoy the moment. Multicultural France win, they riot and loot shops.
MY in BS full of BS.