Championship 2016-17

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Championship 2016-17

Post by PeteC »

Don't think we have a current thread for this league this year. Below are current standings. Good to see Newcastle where they are and hopefully they'll be back up next season. Fulham is doing much better than during the past two seasons, so there is hope for them also. Aston Villa, perhaps not. Look at QPR, Wolves, Wigan, Blackburn though, all Premier League teams not that long ago and in free fall it appears. Pete :cheers:
phpIEFP3kPM.jpg
phpIEFP3kPM.jpg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Championship 2016-17

Post by PeteC »

Not one post in this thread since it started in November 2016. Oh well..... :lach:

Take a look at this though concerning Fulham. "Goals for" tied for first with Newcastle, Goal difference 3rd best, and if only some of those 13 draws went to wins they would be promoted already. Good luck to them in the playoffs which i think they'll be in. Pete :cheers:

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 18.28.20.png
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Fulham have been on a great run recently and are the form team, if they make it through to the play-offs, which should be today.

Always been my other team, bit like having a little brother for a Chelsea fan.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Well, I'm happy, my second team, Brighton are promoted. Tough life ahead next season, though. Good to see the Geordies back, too.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Really pleased about Brighton.

3 South Coast teams in the Premiership next season.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

caller wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 pm Fulham have been on a great run recently and are the form team, if they make it through to the play-offs, which should be today.

Always been my other team, bit like having a little brother for a Chelsea fan.

Caller, surely you`re of an age when Chelsea were the wannabe`s, Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill et al. :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Caller may qualify for old fart status, but I'm pretty sure he must have at least 20 years on you! :cheers: :laugh:
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

arcadianagain wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:49 pmCaller, surely you`re of an age when Chelsea were the wannabe`s, Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill et al. :cheers:
Nice try arcadian. but compared to Chelsea, Fulham have always been the wannabe's. Just imagine, had Fulham accepted Gus Mears offer of relocating to the new ground at Stamford Bridge just prior to 1905, there never would have been a Chelsea FC. But they said no, so he eventually decided to start his own team and the rest is history. Both clubs are based in Fulham - Chelsea very near to the borough boundary.

I do remember getting Bobby Robson's autograph on what I believe was his first managerial appointment at Fulham, that was at Putney Common one summer, during the then annual Chelsea v Fulham cricket match. But Hill and Haynes were before my time.

Funnily enough some Fulham players used to train us at school and I remember Ian Mellor, John Lacy and Steve Earle from those days. A mate of mine put in a heavy challenge on Earle during one of those sessions and he was out injured for about 6-weeks! :D
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Johnny Haynes, before your time? I thought we were similar ages, and I remember seeing him play at Home Park :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 pm Johnny Haynes, before your time? I thought we were similar ages, and I remember seeing him play at Home Park :?
Oh well, you live and learn, I checked his records and see that he carried on playing until 1970. The only game I might have seen him play in was Chelsea v Fulham on the 5th February 1966. I can find the Chelsea team from that day, but not the Fulham one and all my programmes and other paraphernalia are being looked after by a mate back home.
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

[quote=caller .
Nice try arcadian. but compared to Chelsea, Fulham have always been the wannabe's. Just imagine, had Fulham accepted Gus Mears offer of relocating to the new ground at Stamford Bridge just prior to 1905, there never would have been a Chelsea FC. But they said no, so he eventually decided to start his own team and the rest is history. Both clubs are based in Fulham - Chelsea very near to the borough boundary.

Since you clearly know your Chelsea history you will know that the much maligned Sir Henry Norris, who took Arsenal from Woolwich to Highbury, was instrumental in lobbying for his good friend Gus Mears` Chelsea to be elected to the first division when it was increased from 20 to 22 clubs. At the same time Spurs were relegated to the second division, hence the hatred they still show today.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Newcastle United clinched the Championship title with victory over Barnsley, after Brighton conceded a late equaliser at Aston Villa.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39760419

Team P GD Pts
Newcastle
46 45 94
Brighton
46 34 93
Sheff Wed
46 15 81
Huddersfield
46 -2 81
Fulham
46 28 80

Post by PeteC »

Everything remains the same with all four playoff teams, just as if they didn't play this past weekend. :banghead: Pete :cheers:

1) "Huddersfield were left to rue missed opportunities after they drew the first leg of their Championship play-off semi-final with Sheffield Wednesday.".....

2) "The winner of the tie will play either Reading or Fulham, who drew Saturday's first leg 1-1...."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39838350

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39838351
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't want to talk about it. :cry: :banghead: