Sudden Passing of John Lyall (Ex West Ham/Ipswich Manager)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Sudden Passing of John Lyall (Ex West Ham/Ipswich Manager)

Post by chelsea »

Just read some more sad news that John Lyall the ex West Ham and Ipswich manager died suddenly on Tuesday.
There is a report on Talk Sport UK that I have just seen. You can access the story via the link below.
http://www2.talksport.net/sportsnews/sp ... sid=101046
He was a great servant at West Ham, worked his way up from the bottom and through the ranks to become manager of the team after Ron Greenwood quit.
I am sure that we all wish to send his family our sympathy on this sad occasion.
RIP
:cheers: :cheers:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

This is terrible news for all Hammers fans particularly, on top of the recent passing of Ron Greenwood - the two of them really made West Ham what they are. I hope the teams pay their respects at the weekend, and that Lyall's philosophy is seen in practice on Sunday. A semi final win for probably the best manager West Ham ever had would be nice, but the performance and the memories will be more important. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Never heard of this fella before, but it seems from what ive read that he is one of the guys from the era of "real football". Shame the hooligans who play and influence all of the kids in the UK now are not more like this chap and others from his generation.
RIP.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

JW and others,
Although written unashamedly from a West ham perspective, this is an excellent obituary which truly sums up what most Hammers fans feel and what John Lyall was all about - http://www.westhamonline.net/article.php?615152
cockneyrebel

Johnny Lyalls's Claret & Blue Army

Post by cockneyrebel »

As a West Ham fan all my life it's heartening to read the above comments.
John Lyall was from a bygone era, when men were men and who played the game hard but fair. It's such a shame that his own playing career with WHU was cut short so early through injury.
With Ron Greenwood he shaped the West Ham academy, producing some of the finest players ever seen on a football pitch in this country.
John Lyall R.I.P.