RIP Muhammad Ali

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

RIP Muhammad Ali

Post by Big Boy »

The Greatest, has fallen - he has passed, after suffering with respiratory problems.

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Re: RIP Muhammad Ali

Post by PeteC »

Very sad. His health has been going downhill for some time. I remember as a kid listening to the first Clay-Liston fight on the radio. One of his best moments much later was lighting the 1996 Olympic cauldron in Atlanta. RIP. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

A true legend and,quite possibly,"The Greatest".....remember "The Rumble in the Jungle" and "The Thrilla in Manila".
RIP.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Indeed, the "Greatest" has left us, and for those of us old enough to have seen him fight back in the 60's, we witnessed some of the best boxing ever to be seen. Ali had his critics, but I found him thoroughly entertaining inside and outside the ring, maybe somebody will find a You Tube clip of his interview with Parkinson?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote:... maybe somebody will find a You Tube clip of his interview with Parkinson?
Lots of short clips on Youtube, but this is one of the better longer versions I could find http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16z1c ... sound_news

EDIT: The above interview was in 1981, after he retired, but before it was generally known that he was suffering from Parkinson's. There was already speculation about his health. The interview Dannie Boy refers to is presumably the first one, in 1971. Clips can be found by googling Michael Parkinson interview with Muhammad Ali 1971.
Last edited by dtaai-maai on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Very sad. He was the greatest. As a kid; when boxing still belonged to anyone and everyone; when it was on TV at least once a week; I looked forward to every Ali contest. He brought boxing into the modern era, not just a brilliant boxer but a true tactician of the art.

His passing is going to see a huge, worldwide, outpouring of love and respect for (in my opinion) one of the greatest ever human beings to have lived.

RIP
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ It's started. BBC and CNN are in full time mode with coverage and history. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

When he first appeared on the scene he was probably one of the most hated men in sport due to his boasting and antics outside the ring, but after beating Liston twice (the second fight was a bit dodgy from Liston) he was taken more seriously and his entertainment value was backed up by results. Unlike some of the current day sportsmen he was a true legend.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Very sad
An incredible human being is lost
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Great memories of Ali and Frazier for one and the Liston fights.

Ali - Clough - Spurs

Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

RIP to the greatest boxer ever. Mind you, our Henry almost had him. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Khundon1975 wrote:RIP to the greatest boxer ever. Mind you, our Henry almost had him. :wink:
He certainly did, Highbury Stadium 1965 I think, `enerie`s `ammer put him down at the end of a round and only the jiggery pokery by his corner faking a defective glove/bandage delayed the start of the next round which allowed Ali to recover and win the fight by a cut eye retirement.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Ali said several decades later that Cooper had hit him so hard that his ancestors felt it.

A genuine man and incredible talent that brought boxing into the main stream and was simply so much more than a boxer.

Incredible man.....
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Fly like a butterfly......RIP
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

After all these years, this still gets the adrenalin pumping.

This is the way