Premier League 2016-2017

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2016-2017

Post by caller »

Ah well, speak in haste and all that, when thinking of the above post.......

So despite what I wrote above, Liverpool were still comfortable winners against Arsenal, leading the Guardian to provide this merciless summation:

Arsenal have a squad full of lost boys, promising young stars who never quite grew up and operate in a Neverland of unfulfilled potential.

They could have added something about spending half their Arsenal careers on the treatment bench!

I'm amazed to learn that Walcott has been at Arsenal 11 years, how come he's never progressed from his Southampton days?
Talk is cheap
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

I cant find a Champions League 2016/17 thread :alien: so apologies for posting here.
Arsenal 1 Bayern Munich 5 (aggregate 2-10) :oops: I know Koscielny is a decent defender but he's hardly Franz Beckenbauer or Bobby Moore in their prime,to make such a difference !
Surely this must be the end for Wenger.....I cant see how he can stay on after this humiliation and,it has to be said,quite a few years of under achieving !
That said,I dare say fans of Chelsea,Spurs,City,Liverpool and United will be hoping he gets a new long term deal ! :wink:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Never ask an Arse fan the time when it's ten to the hour :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Poor old Arsenal, they really are taking some stick! This made me laugh.

Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think the conversation after last night will be who will replace Wenger next season, not if he'll stay or leave. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still don't understand this fixation to get shot of Wenger. OK, he mightn't be having his best season, but all teams drop from grace, and then often claw their way back again. No team has an automatic right to success.

I'm sure they could find somebody willing to spend their cash, but that wouldn't guarantee success. IMHO he's done a good all round job of managing the club, and have maintained them as one of the UK's top clubs for a long time. I wish my team were as bad as the Arse.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There indeed seems to be a groundswell of opposition to him staying: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39561624
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not denying that, but what do they think they want? A super manager like Louis van Gaal? I'm sure there are plenty out there willing to take the money. The Arse never seem too keen with parting with money, so maybe Plymouth could get a big pay day when they come looking for Derek Adams.

The fact is there aren't many super managers out there that would be fit to sit in Wenger's chair. Best of luck to them - I think they're crazy.

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

More criticism directed at the players rather than the manager in this morning press.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO if he's lost the respect of the dressing room, that is the only reason he should go.

There are so many other teams looking up at his achievements year on year. As an example, how many years have Spurs been chasing his backside? Yes, unless they implode again, it looks as though they may actually succeed this season, but it's been a long time trying to get as good as Wenger. How many super managers has it taken spuds to get a single success? The Arse need to be careful what they wish for.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 am IMHO if he's lost the respect of the dressing room, that is the only reason he should go.

There are so many other teams looking up at his achievements year on year. As an example, how many years have Spurs been chasing his backside? Yes, unless they implode again, it looks as though they may actually succeed this season, but it's been a long time trying to get as good as Wenger. How many super managers has it taken spuds to get a single success? The Arse need to be careful what they wish for.
What you say is fair comment, but Wenger is now 67 and it seems his best days are behind him. Tactically, he's stagnated in the last 2/3 years as the game has evolved and where he was once seen as a pioneer he now seems yesterdays news.

I agree that Arsenal don't splash the cash as they should but even in that respect, Wenger say's there is no issues with cash, rather the lack of signings is down to player availability. Which again, suggests to me that he's stagnated tactically. It seems quite obvious that for a few years all that was stopping Arsenal reaching new heights was a lack of a top class keeper and central defenders. Cech has addressed the goalkeeping issue, but defensively, well the comments made by Allerdyce last night, sum it all up.

He's had years to address this and hasn't, so I can't see why anything will change in the future. Mind you, I'm hoping he stays!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But even as a stagnating manager, he's still half decent. Who will they find to replace him? It's a big job, and there aren't many that will improve, even on this season's performances.

Points 41; Position 18
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Well, after many, many years of predicting Arsenal will finish outside the top four the "experts" have finally., probably got it right. They will now be patting themselves on the back for their foresight.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:24 pm But even as a stagnating manager, he's still half decent. Who will they find to replace him? It's a big job, and there aren't many that will improve, even on this season's performances.
Because of who they are, I think Arsenal will attract any number of top managers from everywhere and I think a new direction is needed. After all. Arsenal took a punt on Wneger back in 1996. His record before joining Arsenal wasn't exactly stellar.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the super managers will be queuing to replace him, but will they do any better. There are some tough teams in the Premiership, and he'll some very hard opposition.

Points 41; Position 18