2016 Six Nations Rugby

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: 2016 Six Nations Rugby

Post by PeteC »

I feel comfortable with my round #1 first two picks, but I'm tearing my hair out concerning Ireland and Wales. Currently I have Wales by 3, but it may be the best match of the first round and go either way.....IMO. :? :banghead: :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I wasn't planning to enter this year, but SuperBru seems to think I'm in, so I'm in (under the name MasterClass that I've tried so many times to change...). Prepare for battle!

EDIT: Pete, I think your 'Wales by 3' pick sucks! :laugh:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dtaai-maai wrote:I wasn't planning to enter this year, but SuperBru seems to think I'm in, so I'm in (under the name MasterClass that I've tried so many times to change...). Prepare for battle!

EDIT: Pete, I think your 'Wales by 3' pick sucks! :laugh:
There's no sign of you DTM in the pool?? :? Are you sure you used the correct pool name and code as per above? You may have just joined the open pool that they offer. Please check and let me know. Pete :cheers:

Here's the pool info again:

http://www.superbru.com/sixnations/pool.php?p=11493957

Pool name: HHF 6 Nations

Pool code: safecane
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I found your "Masterclass" name on a previous pool list DTM and have just sent you a separate invitation. If you respond to that you should be in automatically. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is England's 6 Nations team comprised of a majority of players who also played in the WC? I ask as interesting to me if Eddie Jones is really going to make a difference, but I don't know if we're dealing with apples and oranges in terms of players. Pete :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Without studying the names, I'd say most of the current squad were at the WC - perhaps a handful of new faces, or old ones brought back into the fold, like Hartley.
Not really surprising that many of those thought to be best in their position by the Lancaster regime are also selected by the Jones regime. I think a change of coach really means a change of tactics and attitude rather than 20 different players. Same in soccer.

I saw something yesterday on the Beeb about Gatling's choice of prop depending on who the referee is for that game.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seems player experts are all predicting Wales will win it this year. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35499070
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote:It seems player experts are all predicting Wales will win it this year. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35499070
I wish it was so, but it really is too difficult to predict this year..... Certainly the opening games will give clue!! If Wales can take Ireland away, then game on!!

And sod's law, I've been called away to Saudi this weekend - might just be able to catch the 2nd half in Istanbul on the stop-over!! :cuss: :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is Italy getting better, or France worse? The WC result was 32-10 and now 23-21. The great majority in the pool picked way too high, probably with the WC in mind.

I didn't see either game. How did England perform, any problems with Hartley? Hopefully I'll see the games on replay later today. Pete :cheers:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Hartley did OK, not a hint of trouble from him. There seemed to be a lot of errors from both sides when they were in good scoring positions. I suppose England scoring two tries and none against was a positive. Not a classic match, but a win is a win.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote:Hartley did OK, not a hint of trouble from him. There seemed to be a lot of errors from both sides when they were in good scoring positions. I suppose England scoring two tries and none against was a positive. Not a classic match, but a win is a win.
Agreed. It was a case of 'job done' against Scotland, but I think England will have to up their game now if they are to beat the rest.
Let's not get too carried away with Hartley's disciplinary record - he's had no problems I'm aware of when playing for England, and in terms of captaincy, he's been Northampton skipper for a while now. One of the pundits said pre-match that if he had a problem, it was hanging on to his place as no.1 hooker, not being captain - fair comment, but he had a decent game today.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

prcscct wrote:Is Italy getting better, or France worse?
A bit of both. If that was the "Nouvelle France", they should bring some of the "Vieille France" back. Serge Blanco was at the ground... If Italy had a decent place kicker, they would have won. To be fair, though, the French also missed a couple of sitters.

You have to feel sorry for Italy, especially as the last French penalty was a travesty of justice on the scale of the Dreyfus affair...

Italy are improving all the time, though Parisse will be a hard act to follow when he retires.
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Looking at the clubs from which the English squad is drawn.Just one player from a northern Club (Sale) Northampton and Leicester the only midlands clubs supplying players all the others from London or South-western clubs.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

oakdale160 wrote:Looking at the clubs from which the English squad is drawn.Just one player from a northern Club (Sale) Northampton and Leicester the only midlands clubs supplying players all the others from London or South-western clubs.
Perhaps the players from London and the SW are better ? :o

I suppose you could add Wasps to your midlands based players as they currently play at the Ricoh in Coventry, if it makes you feel any better. :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

England are the only team who can win the Triple Crown. Onwards and upwards.