Cheltenham

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Cheltenham

Post by Heebio »

It's the Cheltenham Festival next week and I was wondering if there's anyway it would be possible to watch this via some kind of satellite link? I doubt it, but no harm in asking.

All the races can be watched live online at the Racing Post website - a quid per individual race or free with a fiver bet, but I'd rather watch it in the boozer if that was possible (kind of a tradition back home). My mates are going and are gonna be calling me pissed up from the track...lucky b'stards.

Any help appreciated....cheers.
Never trust a hippy....
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Heebio, if you are thinking of doing some online bets, do them in an internet cafe, so that they cannot be traced back to you.
When the Euro 2004 was on, apparently the Thai Government blocked all access to the main UK online betting sites so no one could bet on the games.
I did not realise that it was illegal to bet in Thailand, but have always managed to place bets via the internet or phone while i have been in Thailand
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

Hiya Chelsea, thanks for the advice mate. I've been betting on a regular basis everytime I've come to Thailand but was unaware they had the means, and/or the will for that matter, to block all betting sites like that. Doubt the powers that be have heard of national hunt racing nevermind Cheltenham, so pretty sure I'll be able to have a punt!

Been asking around and gathered that it is possible to get a link, but at a very high cost. No boozer in the country is going to have it....pity. Just gonna find a 24 hour internet place with a fast connection and hopefully get to see at least the big races. Ain't so bothered about the handicaps but the championship races are a must see.

Happy punting...cheers!

:cheers:
Never trust a hippy....
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Heebio
If you have any trouble seeing the races live, you can always listen to them on the bbc internet radio sites.
Try http://www.bbc.co.uk , they normally have the racing on live. if not try this one, they always have paddy power the irish bookie on there.
The address for that is http://www.talksport.net.

Good punting.
I expect there will be a big St Paddies day piss up in HH on Friday at Crawfords, if there is have a few pints of the black stuff for me.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Heebio,

I have checked this out here and only had problems when attempting to enter a pay per view site relating to the Gold Cup. It required a UK address and I guess later a registration involving a credit card. I assume it willl then register that IP address so that you will then only to be able to access the races from my ADSL point.

You are welcome to try and I am quite happy to do this.

Your are right about the free race for one a five pound bet but there is also daily (5 pounds) and monthly subsciptions offers available.

It is true that this is illegal for Thais to place bets but I am not sure of the legallity of a UK citizen making a bet in the UK.

The thing is that the site is not blocked at the moment by the Thai Cyber Police and also at the moment Khun T has larger problems to worry about than a few people placing credit card bets on Cheltenham.

I have heard but not had confirmed is that the practice of credit card betting in Thailand has been tackled by the issuing banks themseleves. (I.e. Refuse any aquire request from a bookies on their card.)

That obviously will not affect you.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
ianc66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ianc66 »

So use a UK or Irish credit card.

A case of bolting the stable door after the horse has gone?
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

Guess wrote:Heebio,

I have checked this out here and only had problems when attempting to enter a pay per view site relating to the Gold Cup. It required a UK address and I guess later a registration involving a credit card.

Your are right about the free race for one a five pound bet but there is also daily (5 pounds) and monthly subsciptions offers available.
Guess, thanks for looking into this for me, appreciated. Think I should be okay on the Racing Post site as I've been registered there for quite a while and sometimes use it to place bets, so I doubt the IP address scenario will apply. I'm more worried about connection speeds here and actually getting to watch the races.

I'll PM you re coming round mate....thanks again.

Chelsea, thanks for the links but I already have a reliable radio service via the Sporting Odds website. Not really the same just listening to the commentary though....takes you back to the bad old days before they had SIS in the betting shops! And yes mate, if I have a winner or two I'll be having drop of the black stuff on Friday. Cheers.
Never trust a hippy....