English League 2 - Season 2015-16

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: English League 2 - Season 2015-16

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but the form since Christmas has been relegation, not promotion :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, it was the first of Plymouth's League 2 play-off semi-finals early this morning. I'm absolutely knackered having stayed up until 4 watching it. Not the best game of football I've watched, but a good result, scoring 2 away goals and going into Monday morning's 2nd leg with honours even.

The Sky Sports commentator was obviously a devout Pompey fan. If a Plymouth fan farted in the crowd, he was calling for a Plymouth player to be red carded. His bias was way over the top, and spoilt the game for me. I agree that Matt was lucky not to be sent off (or even booked) for deliberately head-butting a Portsmouth player, but the rest of the commentator's pleas were just plain stupid.

Still, a good result, and I'm looking forward to Sunday night/Monday morning's game.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ah well, I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, BB... :wink:
Well, I only watched the first 4 minutes, and I think its as well Spuds didn't win the league - what a bunch of thugs. What sort of example would that have been to today's youngsters?
:laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't disagree - as I said, "Matt was lucky not to be sent off (or even booked) for deliberately head-butting a Portsmouth player."

He cheated, he should have been punished - not boasting about it.

Points 48; Position 18
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Plymouth 1 Portsmouth 0

Well done to Plymouth....off to Wembley for the play off final now....decent crowd,as well 15,011.... :cheers:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'm on cloud 9 this morning - a bit of a nail biter, but IMHO as soon as Plymouth knocked it up a gear in the 2nd half, the result was inevitable, even if the goal didn't come until the 91st minute..

I won't say I'm too keen on the Plymouth tactic of absorbing pressure and being very fast on the counter attack, but after all these years of fighting extinction etc, this Wembley final is like a breath of fresh air.

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:I won't say I'm too keen on the Plymouth tactic of absorbing pressure and being very fast on the counter attack,
It hasn't done Leicester any harm!
This is the way
PAFC
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PAFC »

Anyone going to watch the play off final in Hua Hin?? Be nice to get a bit of atmosphere :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will be watching the match at home.

I was seriously considering nipping over to watch the match at Wembley, but then I thought it might upset relatives. I've been very clear that I would never return to the UK to visit them. If they heard I'd nipped back for a football match..................... :guns: :sfight: :starwars: :run:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I'm glad I didn't nip over to watch the match. It would have felt strange without a Plymouth team on the pitch to support - I think the bus must have broken down on the M4, and they played a team of cardboard cut-outs.

How crap was that? A perfect opportunity to crawl out of the bowels of the Football League, thrown away. Fair play to Wimbledon though - they contained any Plymouth plays very well, and were deserved winners.

The forum wouldn't look right without an English League 2 thread. i even had my farewell to League 2 spiel prepared and ready to go. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Points 48; Position 18
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Bad luck for Plymouth but AFC Wimbledon were deserved winners.
I see their striker Adebayo Akinfenwa is being released and was told straight after the game.He is known as "The Beast" and weighs 16 stone !
Wimbledons manager was finally found hiding in the mens toilets several hours after the match had finished ! :rasta:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have to confess to rooting for Wimbledon yesterday. The club is originally from near my part of town and now plays it matches 30 minutes walk from where I used to live in New Malden. I would sometimes wander down there to watch either them or Kingstonian play and Chelsea used to use the ground for its reserve and youth games and always sent a team there for a pre-season friendly.

I also had an association with Plough Lane. The Sunday football league we used to play in held their meetings at the ground (I was club secretary / player) and we often popped into the Sportsmans pub which was on site, for a pint first. The leagues cup finals used to be played at the ground too, until,Wimbledon started moving up the ranks and it became unavailable. I also used the gym there, run by ex-Olympians Mike Winch and Judy Oakes and went to watch Wimbledon in some of the bigger games. I recall a great occasion when they beat Brian Cloughs Nottingham Forest 1-0 in the FA Cup (I think it was).

So it's good to see the club rise once more from the ashes and it will be interesting to see where their adventure takes them next.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No need to confess, they were the better team, and deserved winners. I'm quite used to supporting a poor football team/disappointment - it never upsets me.

Points 48; Position 18
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

A group of friends and I used to go to Home Park when we eventually got cars so I was for Argyle. Why oh why did that defender try to head the ball on the ground?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Quite funny actually, because in the match pre-amble, he was introduced as the only defender with 4 legs.

Points 48; Position 18