Premier League 2015-2016

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Premier League 2015-2016

Post by Terry »

Pagey wrote:If Sunderland win tonight Newcastle are down so Spurs v Ncastle should be as easy as Arse v Villa.

IF........
Interesting - hadn't accounted for that one - but as you say - IF.................
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Obviously not a great Wendyball supporter, but feel it would be sad to see Newcastle relegated. A few friends there and to be honest, MASSIVE support for a team - unlike anything I've seen outside Wales for rugby.

Would be funny to see ManU go down though!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Don't be sad, if I remember rightly Newcastle survived relegation on the last day last season so obviously no improvement there.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Would be funny to see ManU go down though!
I actually remember when that happened.

https://manchesterunitedmemories.wordpr ... ision-two/

I also think that there was an incident at the end of the season, when the supporters tried to burn the grass of the pitch. Not sure if that was the case but at least there were pitch invasions in their last home game, against MC.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Well Tottenham will have to get a point against a Championship side to avoid dropping a place and ............. Don't want to talk about that tradegy!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Well done to Sunderland for making the big escape for the third time in three seasons !
Incidentally,there is a rumour that Manuel Pellegrini will be taking over from Roberto Martinez at Everton.... :guns:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I can recall Martinez being the golden boy of managers at Wigan. What happened? :? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Martinez did win the FA Cup for Wigan,which was a big achievement,but also got them relegated.
He's been manager at Everton for three seasons now.....first season they came 5th playing good football,last season they were mediocre and this season,with a strong squad,they are only 2 points ahead of Bournemouth who are down in 16th.
The fans have become disgruntled with him and I think he's on his way out.
Hey....come to think of it.....he'd do a good job replacing Wenger at Arsenal !! :rasta:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Speaking of replacing managers, what's happening at Man U? Is Van Gaal staying?
This is the way
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

dtaai-maai wrote:^^Speaking of replacing managers, what's happening at Man U? Is Van Gaal staying?
I certainly hope not.....probably nothing will be announced until after the FA Cup Final.
I think losing to West Ham might turn out to be the straw that broke the camels back.
He's been a good coach in his time (10 years or more ago) but the game has changed and his "philosophy" of boring,dross,possession football has worn to breaking point with the fans.....hopefully with the board too.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Zidane wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:^^Speaking of replacing managers, what's happening at Man U? Is Van Gaal staying?
I certainly hope not.....probably nothing will be announced until after the FA Cup Final.
I think losing to West Ham might turn out to be the straw that broke the camels back.
He's been a good coach in his time (10 years or more ago) but the game has changed and his "philosophy" of boring,dross,possession football has worn to breaking point with the fans.....hopefully with the board too.
Out of interest, how does LVG's first season compare with Alex Ferguson's first season? I don't know the answer but a possible FA Cup win and possible top 5 finish does not sound much like a sacking offence to me. I think you're starting to fall into the Wenger whingers category - you can't win everything every year, be grateful for what you got.

It could be worse, you could be a Newcastle or even a Plymouth supporter.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

The fans want him out not because of the clubs league position its because of the putrid boring football they have had to endure for two seasons now.....70% possession but only 1 shot on goal in a game happens too frequently !
On paper his record doesn't look to bad but the brand of football played has been awful.
Yes,its very sad for Newcastle supporters and very brave of you to keep on admitting your a Plymouth supporter :rasta:
Incidentally,in the Conference,a guy called Ady Pennock guided Forest Green into second place....there highest ever position and in the play offs for the Football League....his reward was the sack because they didn't win the title ! :alien:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow well done Forest Green - they were just up the road from me when U lived in Yate, but I never ventured out to see them :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Great news for Spurs.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36275890

'Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has signed a contract extension which commits him to the club until 2021.

The Argentine, 44, was appointed in May 2014 on a five-year deal and guided Spurs to a fifth-place finish in the Premier League and a League Cup final in his first season in charge.

With one game to go, Spurs are guaranteed a top-three Premier League finish this season.

"We believe this is just the beginning," said Pochettino.

Spurs were challenging for the Premier League title until a bad-tempered 2-2 draw at Chelsea last week ensured Leicester City were crowned champions of England.

Pochettino has created a fast and powerful side with a backbone of young English players such as Harry Kane, Eric Dier and Dele Alli, who have all received their first international caps during the Argentine's tenure.

He was photographed having lunch with former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson this week, prompting rumours he could be a target for the Old Trafford team this summer.

However, the former Paris St-Germain player believes he can bring trophies to Spurs.

"We have a long-term project and huge belief that we can achieve something big here for the future," added Pochettino.

"This club has all the ingredients to continue to challenge at the very top in both the Premier League and in Europe.

"We want to be here to be a part of what I believe will be a special period in the club's history."

Assistant head coach Jesus Perez, first team coach Miguel D'Agostino and first team goalkeeping coach Toni Jimenez have also agreed extensions to their contracts.'

Let's hope the vultures from other clubs keep their hands off the squad. Hopefully this will encourage them to stay.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

What is also beautiful at Spurs is we don't have a lazy 'can't be arsed' team of money-grabbers who think that their 'name' commands 120,000 plus a week a la Chelsea and City. It was only a matter of time that the sugar daddy teams turned to shit. No team ethic, no team morale but simply money, money, money.

Long may it continue.

Real teams with real fans are beginning to win.