Ironman Wales

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Ironman Wales

Post by pharvey »

I've just been watching the highlights of this event (CH4 UK) held in Pembrokeshire....... Ouch!! :shock:

If you ever thought you were fit, a look at this, or indeed any of the Ironman series would likely put you straight!!

Amidst some stunning coastline and scenery, the competitors swim 2.4 miles (3.84 Km), cycle 112 miles (179.2 Km) and run 26.2 miles (41.92 Km)........ and Pembrokeshire certainly isn't flat!! :shock: :shock:

Absolutely incredible fitness levels and you truly have to congratulate all that took part.....

One of the reasons I'd taken an interest in this particular race, was to see how Richard Webster got on. An ex-Wales and British Lions international rugby player with a slight handicap over the majority of competitors... arthritis.

Ex-Wales rugby player Richard Webster ran the marathon leg of the fourth Ironman Wales triathlon on crutches.
The ex-British and Irish Lions flanker suffers from arthritis so has adapted his running style with his arms taking his weight.
Webster, 47, was one of 1,616 athletes to complete the Pembrokeshire event, finishing in 13 hours, 8 minutes and 55 seconds.
"Somebody told me I couldn't do it so I had to prove them wrong," said Webster.

Hats off to the man, an absolutely incredible achievement in my book!

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/29150580

For those of you (like me) who prefer their sport "armchair fashion" these days, the locals have found certain ways of getting closer to the action....
Ironman.JPG
Ironman.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 457 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.