European Championship 2016

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: European Championship 2016

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote:A deserved win for England
No it wasn't - the diving, cheating, offside ..... good God...... dreadful. Fair enough though, Beelzebub and his XI didn't deserve to lose either, 1-1 would have been fair and would also have sorted me on SuperBru!! :thumb: :D :naughty: :duck:

Love to support Wales, but at the end of the day - Wendyball is still shite........

Rugby lives on...... despite the fact that Wales are shite :oops: :cry:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

HHTel wrote:England's first goal was offside. Roll on the 'video ref'.
:tsk: Obviously not a football fan?

Not offside, Ashley Williams (Welsh centre half ) headed the ball to Vardy, therefore making him onside.
Good spot by the officials. :cheers:
Nice assist, though obviously not intended :D )
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

[quote="HHTel"]England's first goal was offside. Roll on the 'video ref'.

Please explain the offside rule to us. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:England's first goal was offside. Roll on the 'video ref'.
That was my initial reaction, even after the first replay. I don't often have a good word for linesmen/referees, but they were spot on. Incredible vision by Vardy moving into that position hoping that a Welsh player would head the ball his way. The video ref, unless Thai, would have awarded the goal. He'd have also awarded a penalty for handball against Wales in the 1st half.

Well done Hodgeson for replacing Harry Jane. I've never rated the guy, and in 135 minutes of football I don't remember him getting a shot on target. Jane seems to want the ball serving to him on a plate, where as Vardy is a lot more active and will fight for the ball. I think Jane might do better against the better teams who play football rather than park the bus.

The Welsh tactic of parking the bus seemed to be working, but we must remember that is the tactic used in almost every qualifying game, and England won them all.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

No I'm not a football fan as such. Only get interested in internationals. However, I wasn't the only one who thought it offside::

"The initial assessment was that Vardy was a good five yards offside following a knock down from a Daniel Sturridge cross, but the replay proved that the linesman, Stefan Lupp, had made the correct decision."
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Man of the match for England must surely have been right back,Kyle Walker.He was fantastic going forward in the second half as well as defending well.
Some decent performances,too,from Lallana,Smalling,Sturridge and Rooney.
Bales free kick was good but Hart should have saved it comfortably.It would have been no problem for young Dave from the other side of Manchester ! :wink:
Fair play to Woy for bringing on Vardy and Sturridge at half time and Rashford later.

Also congratulations to Northern Ireland who beat Ukraine 2-0 and gained their first victory in a major tournament for 34 years.If they avoid a heavy defeat against Germany they should make it to the last 16 along with England and Wales barring major disasters .
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Surprised at 6 changes. I expected Kane, Ali and Sterling to miss out for Sturridge , Wilshere and A N Other but not to see Henderson play nor both full backs and Rooney to miss out.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pagey wrote:Surprised at 6 changes. I expected Kane, Ali and Sterling to miss out for Sturridge , Wilshere and A N Other but not to see Henderson play nor both full backs and Rooney to miss out.
Whatever changes they made didn't work. :( Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

All a bit reminiscent of the Russia game so far...
This is the way
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Man of the match Martin Škrtel.

Why do England think they should direct all attacks from the center field. 11 players in front of you and you will not score, when you dominate ball time, get the ball out wide and cross it in, at least you then get a player on player chance. Trying to flick the ball through an entire team on defence is a waste of time.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh dear oh dear- God's Own take top place..... Can I refer to you others as Lillywhites? Apparently anything on the religious side (as in Beelzebub) is not good..... :butt:

Seriously though, not knowing Wendyball - was it a stuff up on team selection? Was it 6 changes made... Arrogance? That said though, England are still through.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Just remembered that I don't like "The Blackness" either. I think the "Divine Ones" is more appropriate. :lach: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

What bothered me in the last 20 minutes or so was how static they all were, there seemed little regular movement off the ball and agree about not getting it wide enough, which we did in the first half. Playing Wilshire was a mistake as was playing Sturridge out of position. I can't understand the point of wholesale changes and it turned out to be disruption for disruptions sake. Certainly hasn't taken the team forward.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And I still haven't seen anything to convince me that Harry Jane should be involved while we're still playing crap teams who basically park the bus. He is the wrong type of player for that sort of match. Against one of the decent teams, Germany, France, etc he would come into his own, but too lazy for this type of match.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:And I still haven't seen anything to convince me that Harry Jane should be involved while we're still playing crap teams who basically park the bus. He is the wrong type of player for that sort of match. Against one of the decent teams, Germany, France, etc he would come into his own, but too lazy for this type of match.
To be fair to Kane, he only came on for the last 15 minutes, so not a great deal of time to make a huge contribution, bearing in mind the tactics adopted by Slovakia, plus the England first half performance of using the wide play more, had fizzled out. I guess the only positive is that there were no injuries and we're through to the knockout round where hopefully uncle Woy will pick his strongest starting 11.