Champions' League 2014-15

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Champions' League 2014-15

Post by dtaai-maai »

An odd way to start the thread, but at least I beat Pete to it for a change! :wink:
Celtic reinstated to Champions League

Celtic have been reinstated to the Champions League after Legia Warsaw were kicked out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player.

Legia won the third qualifying round tie 6-1 on aggregate but brought on Bartosz Bereszynski in the second leg, while he was supposed to be suspended.

As a result Celtic were handed a 3-0 'walkover' win for the second leg, taking them through on away goals.

Legia won the first leg 4-1 and the second 2-0.
This seems a bit harsh, when the guy was brought on with 3 minutes to go and his team 5 goals up on aggregate... :shock:

It's weird how Celtic are so much better than everyone else in Scotland and so much worse than everyone elsewhere.
This is the way
PeteC

Re: Champions' League 2014-15

Post by PeteC »

:bow: :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

And to think they, and Rangers, wanted to join the English Premiership a few years ago
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Arsenal playing Besiktas in the Champions League group qualifier.....not easy but they should manage it.
Celtics re-instatement is ridiculous.They lost 6-1 and the ineligible guy played for 2 minutes.Its not as if it was 4-3 and he scored a hat trick.
Legia thought he was eligible as he missed the two matches against St.Patricks Athletic in the last round but they forgot to register him for the tie.A genuine mistake.
Surely a small fine would have been appropriate,not this ?
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

dtaai-maai wrote:
An odd way to start the thread, but at least I beat Pete to it for a change! :wink:
Cheez, when I saw the topic and that you had started it, my first thought was that you wanted to talk about Besiktas vs Arsenal. Now, I'm dissappointed. :D :mrgreen:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Absolutely shocking display from Arsenal, they were lucky to get away with 2 nil. Arsene Wenger has got to realize that skillful tippy tappy football has given way to skill and power football. Even Barcelona, then greatest exponents of this .type of football have been overtaken by others who play a fast direct game.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Chelsea were a bit off the ball tonight. Think Jose got his selection wrong. Schalke are always competitive, he should have played Costa, not Drogba. That could come later. Never mind, lesson learnt (hopefully).

City were a bit unlucky. Big performance from Hart.
Talk is cheap
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

caller wrote:Chelsea were a bit off the ball tonight. Think Jose got his selection wrong. Schalke are always competitive, he should have played Costa, not Drogba. That could come later. Never mind, lesson learnt (hopefully).

City were a bit unlucky. Big performance from Hart.
Costa still has a hamstring injury,picked up on international duty and can currently only play one game per week.
How dare you question the team selection of the "Special One !" :rasta:

Ironic City lost to a 90th minute goal from an ex player,Boateng,but if it wasnt for Hart the Germans would have had a comfortable win.

Arsenal,absolutely atrocious.....Liverpool unimpressive against moderate opposition but at least they won,I spose.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

At the end of the first round, despite the woeful display, Arsenal are no worse off than City, slightly worse off than Chelsea and Liverpool needing a last-gasp penalty to beat a club with less history than Chelski. All in all not a very good European week for England.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

At last, something to cheer about for Arsenal, played like they really wanted to win, chased every ball, won the 50-50`s, defended as a unit and two good goals. Of course now we can go on to win the competition. (ahem)
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

An absolute disaster for Arsenal......In their 6 group games Monaco only scored 4 goals and conceded 1 so to concede 3 at home surely means the end of the road.
Citeh likely to join them but Chelski should progress.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Zidane wrote:An absolute disaster for Arsenal......In their 6 group games Monaco only scored 4 goals and conceded 1 so to concede 3 at home surely means the end of the road.
Citeh likely to join them but Chelski should progress.
It`s only half time, a 3 nil win in Monaco should do it :oops:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Well the whinging chelski hit the dust and deserved to!!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

JimmyGreaves wrote:Well the whinging chelski hit the dust and deserved to!!
Agreed. Shocking display - just didn't turn up.

Was genuinely surprised to get a penalty though, can't recall the last one? Although clearly, a stonewall penalty wasn't given in the first half (yet again).
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Clearly a conspiracy by UEFA, the referees, PSG,the Media and God.
Your warning that Chelsea may fall apart may be coming true Caller.