World Cup 2022 (Qatar)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: World Cup 2022 (Qatar)

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:We could go on and on with opinions, but someone is getting rich, I think no doubt about that.

Another unfortunate certainty is that many will watch simply to see the spectacle of exhausted and collapsing players rather than the sport.....IMO. I wish the English and a few others, perhaps the Germans and Spain, would simply tell them to stuff it and boycott it all. Pete
The way the England team are going they might boycott by default by not qualifying!!

But seriously, it is ludicrous attempting to play football in the summer in the Middle East - I worked and lived in Saudi, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi for 7 years and you can't even walk without feeling the effects - you could foresee footballers collapsing or even worse if the games go ahead as planned.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, Michael Garcia, who investigated the allegations, has entered the fray and basically said the edited version published by FIFA is a load of bull - and he's taking it further.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30037729

This could be the swansong of the organisation as it stands.

Hopefully.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

World Cup: Former FA chief David Bernstein calls for boycott

....2018 and 2022 it appears, although he is primarily talking about 2018.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30077311
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

prcscct wrote:World Cup: Former FA chief David Bernstein calls for boycott

....2018 and 2022 it appears, although he is primarily talking about 2018.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30077311
It's fair comment.
Personally i'm not as bothered about the Russia tournament, though i'm sure the bidding process was somewhat flawed :wink: , it's the Qatar one that is the bigger problem.

The venue is just not suitable, end of.
The bidding process on this one is not just flawed, it's clearly corrupt.

I wonder if there will be much support from other European countries?
FIFA being challenged and held accountable is long overdue.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote:But seriously, it is ludicrous attempting to play football in the summer in the Middle East - I worked and lived in Saudi, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi for 7 years and you can't even walk without feeling the effects - you could foresee footballers collapsing or even worse if the games go ahead as planned.
Never lived there long term (Saudi, Qatar), but worked on a couple of 2-3 month projects and have to agree - a nightmare to work in that heat, let alone play sport (even if it is Wendyball..... :duck: ).

Total corruption there and also in Russia IMHO - Russia however I'd be more concerned over safety.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

So FIFA have confirmed they want the Qatar WC to be played in November and December with the final on the 23rd. Brilliant decision.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Fifa have not yet confirmed the date will move, it is presently a recommendation, and just imagine the legal claims if it does move

I spent 3 years in Cutter (US pronunciation) Guttaah (Qatari pronunciation), great place and would love to go back. Until you have been to Doha you will still think Dubai is a good place. Amazing buildings, roads as level as pool tables, shopping malls that will bankrupt you, and amazing cars.

I was in Doha when it hit 53C, but it is not just the heat that kills it is the extreme humidity which totally knocks you out. The humidity creates rolling low level clouds which move across the city

Just remember don't go if you "are Israeli, have an Israeli stamp in your passport, are gay, or plan to go with a female you are not married to as you will never get a hotel room," and also don't kill a camel the penalty is US$5k upwards depending on how in love the owner was.

http://www.habibtoumi.com/2010/07/14/qa ... s-celsius/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Ok Euro leagues, Seph Blathermouth is going to want all your best players for just two months in the middle of your season in 2022. just schedule three games a week in Dec and Jan, that should take care of things.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Perhaps the Qataris could pay for Christmas to be moved to June, that should fix part of the problem