World Cup 2014

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by dozer »

Colombia have the fire power seal victory over Brazil and in James Rodriguez they have the player of the tournament so far.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

prcscct wrote:Last night was as expected, except for Brazil getting there the hard way and giving millions around the world severe stress! :roll: I don't think Brazil will go further unless they really take it up a notch or two. Pete
I can't believe that Brazil don't have better options to replace Hulk and Fred. The team are carrying those two big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Without Suarez,Uruguay lacked any real "bite" up front ! :tsk:
James Rodriguez....best goal of the tournament,up to now ??
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

prcscct wrote:Last night was as expected, except for Brazil getting there the hard way and giving millions around the world severe stress!
I can't stay awake long enough to watch them all but was glued to this one. Great game with tremendous drama. Chile were brilliant. Brazil so close to losing.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The best match of the day, Netherlands vs Mexico, kicks off at 2300 hours Thai time. Followed by Greece vs Costa Rica at 0300. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

prcscct wrote:The best match of the day, Netherlands vs Mexico, kicks off at 2300 hours Thai time. Followed by Greece vs Costa Rica at 0300. Pete

The Mexican goalkeeper looks like Minnie Mouse :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Felt a bit sorry for Mexico, they just fell away right at the death. Before the game, I thought Holland would have a fairly easy win, but they were awful and can count themselves lucky to have got through.

But they should get through to the semi's at the expense of Greece or Costa Rica.

Referee wasn't up to much either!
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Just finished Costa Rica/Greece. Watched it from 70 minutes on and Greece sure controlled the ball!

Have to say it was the best acting so far, even the referee was laughing a few times! Once saw 3 CR guys writhing on the ground and the minute the ref turned away they were up quicker than I could!!

CR goalie has a heck of a kick, but seemed to kick way too far! May be a strategy since I don't ow the game real well though
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:The best match of the day, Netherlands vs Mexico, kicks off at 2300 hours Thai time. Followed by Greece vs Costa Rica at 0300. Pete
Robben was up to his old tricks - after 3 dives he finally got the penalty that sealed Hollands (lucky) win.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Robben was up to his old tricks - after 3 dives he finally got the penalty that sealed Hollands (lucky) win.
Yes, the man is even admitting it in the press today. :roll: I feel badly for Mexico, and Greece...how can you not.

Tonight is France vs Nigeria at 2300 followed by Germany vs Algeria at 0300. The few who picked Nigeria may have made a good bet...we'll see.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

migrant wrote:Just finished Costa Rica/Greece. Watched it from 70 minutes on and Greece sure controlled the ball!
Costa Rica were down to ten men from about the 68th minute if I recall, plus extra time.
Talk is cheap
Richb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richb »

Well Man U fans can look forward to LVG's long ball tactics next season. Mexico should have wrapped it up though, just like Bayern in 99. Was in Colombia in April and had a great time, so would like to see them win it
bajm

Post by bajm »

Dannie Boy wrote:Robben was up to his old tricks - after 3 dives he finally got the penalty that sealed Hollands (lucky) win.
I don't agree that the win was lucky. It all went according to plan.
So Netherlands got one penalty, where they actually could have gotten 2.
OK. Admit one of the 3 was a dive, but the other 2 were not. I have seen penalties given for a lot less during this tournament.
I think the end result is well deserved.
Remember that the match was played under extreme conditions, because the temperature in the stadium was 39 degrees.
Netherlands was smart enough to keep enough energy for the dying last minutes of the game to win the game.
bajm

Post by bajm »

An interesting game for tonight is Germany vs Algeria.

Algeria still have an outstanding score to settle with Germany which lasts from 1982, known as the “Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón” or “disgrace of Gijón”.

The tournament in which, Germany and Austria both settled for a result that put them both through and eliminated Algeria.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

France through 2-0. I only saw the last 20 minutes and both sides looked beat into the ground. The heat must really be taking its toll. Nigeria had an own goal at about the 89 minute mark and that was really the end of it.

Now, let's see what the Germans can do. :D Pete :cheers: