Tiger Woods

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Tiger Woods

Post by hhfarang »

I'm reading stories like the one below on many sports sites and many are speculating that this could be a career ending injury as it keeps reoccurring. Not that his career was what it once was lately anyway because of his personal troubles and his game not being up to par (pun intended), but let's face it, even on his worst day he was still better than 90% of the other golfers in the world.

I guess he'll never reach that goal he stated in his early years of breaking all of Jack's records.

...and what does this say about working your butt off to keep fit for a sport. Tiger probably works out more than most of the rest to stay in peak shape but keeps getting injuries, while Jack was overweight and out of shape most of his career but played professionally well into his 60's. I think I like Jack's philosophy! :D
Tiger Woods withdrew after nine holes at the US PGA Players Championship on Thursday because of leg injuries that sent him limping off the course towards a future that is murkier than ever.

Woods shot a 42 on the front nine, walking some 20 metres behind his playing partners and with a limp that became more noticeable with each hole he played.

After taking a bogey on the par-5 ninth, he handed his card to PGA champion Martin Kaymer, then walked back to inform Matt Kuchar he was leaving early for the second straight year.

"I'm having a hard time walking," Woods said.

It was his first competition since the Masters, where Woods said he hurt his left knee and Achilles while hitting from pine straw in the third round.

He skipped the tournament last week to give his leg time to heal, and said on Tuesday it was better.

But from the opening tee shot at the TPC Sawgrass, he looked as bad as he ever has.

"The knee acted up and then the Achilles followed after that, and then the calf started cramping up," Woods said.

"Everything started getting tight, so it's just a whole chain reaction."

Woods looked fine when he played nine holes of practice on Tuesday and Wednesday, and said after the second day of practice that he had only "minimal" swelling.

This is the second straight year Woods has withdrawn in the middle of the round at The Players Championship.

He stopped on the seventh hole of the final round last year with what turned out to be a neck injury.

Woods already has had four operations on his left knee.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Re: Tiger's career could now be over

Post by PeteC »

There's a part of me that wonders if it really is a re-occurrence of injuries, or his head is still not screwed on right, and he just quit after playing poorly? :? He may go down in American history as second only to Clinton in regards to women being his undoing. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Announced overnight that he has now fallen out of the top 50. I don't think we'll ever again see the Tiger of old. :( Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I think most of the golf world hopes he makes it back, when (if) he does win again it will be the hardest fought one of his career.
For me Mr Nicklaus/Mr Watson and Mr Palmer are still the best role models for any golfer out there and I do hope that Jacks record is not surpassed. :bow:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I just read this yesterday, so maybe there is hope for him yet...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de ... olf-wp6093

... but I agree with your comment JW! :cheers:
For me Mr Nicklaus/Mr Watson and Mr Palmer are still the best role models for any golfer out there and I do hope that Jacks record is not surpassed.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Great player. Crap human. He did bring something to the game, though. Without him it will revert to faceless, interchangeable golfbots who dress in poor taste.
Happiness can't buy money
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Just turned on the Australian OPen with Tiger leading, he has made some good progress since I last saw him, great tempo - if he can take it to the course they had better look out, especialy if the short stick behaves! If he wins I would love to see what he had to say to Steve Williams! :laugh:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

He will probably offer to stick the trophy up Williams' honky a** :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Tiger is all over the place today, he needs a solid back half to get back in the picture.

Williams is probably chuckling now!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'm sure he'll still earn a couple of quid regardless where he comes in the final standings.......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

As johnnyk stated previously - 'Great player. Crap human'
www.35mmview.com
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/golf- ... 6193519506

He was ahead of his time, young Eldrick Woods.

When Tiger took the world by storm 15 years ago, he was essentially a golfing blueprint brought to life.

Unrivalled power, almost superhuman recovery skills and then the best putting stroke in a generation made him all but unbeatable.

That was then.

He might still win the Australian Open today, although he slipped back into the pack yesterday with a 75, but Woods is no longer the bully in the field.

Nor will he win three major championships in a year again, nor even approach the 10 tournaments he won worldwide in 2000.

After his fourth swing rebuild and an injury list to rival any footballer, Woods is not quite yesterday's man, but any reference to his peerless athleticism is definitely out of date.

The game, and its vast array of athletes that, ironically, he inspired, have moved past him.

In short, his game is now good, no longer great.

He's not the longest driver. When he sprays balls off tees it's without the same capacity to recover, and his once white-hot putter now only simmers.

At Augusta National this year, on the US Masters course he has dominated like few others, he challenged powerfully to finish tied for fourth after a barnstorming opening nine holes in his final round.

But bookending that were two overlooked facts.

First, that he was effectively only one off the lead when he turned on to the back nine, yet in very un-Tiger-like fashion, wilted meekly on the back nine.

That he suffered a debilitating knee injury during the round may explain that away, but it does little to hide a second, more glaring factor.

Four days earlier, Woods - the man who revolutionised golf, its promotion, its physicality and even the courses it is played on - effectively passed the baton to the next generation.

It was subtle, maybe even unintentional, but it was a revelation for someone who has made an art form of winning by aura.

As has been the case in Sydney this week at the Australian Open, Woods fielded reporters' questions at Augusta about the progression of his rebuilt swing and whether he could regain the physical ascendancy he once flouted over the field.

He admitted he could no longer hit driver and wedge to most holes the way he had in his physical prime.

He then joked that he occasionally still used his wedge, but only to knock wayward drives back into the fairway.

But then came the moment - one you rarely hear from champions, especially those stubbornly clinging to their lofty perch. Woods admitted he was no longer the bully of the field. He said the game was now the choice of several outstanding physical specimens who had the options of other athletic pursuits yet picked golf.

And all of this came with the acknowledgment that his swing changes were partly - as has been the party line - in pursuit of perfection, but more because of the physical reality that he can no longer swing with the same force as his younger rivals.

"I was playing with Dustin Johnson and Gary Woodland the first two days at Bay Hill (the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March)," Woods said. "I thought Dustin was long, (but) he's got nothing on Gary.

"When Gary steps on it (swings hard), it's like, 'Whoa, are you kidding me?' His ball is flat. When you think it should be coming down, it just continues to fly.

"He hit a shot and it was a 335-yard (305m) carry over a bunker on the right and he hit the face off it. He's all bent out of shape that he couldn't carry it and said, 'I lost the ability to carry 340 now'.

"Sorry, I had never seen that shot," he said with a broad smile.

"But that's the new game. These guys who played other sports, they are both really good basketball players and both have been able to dunk and play hoops, but they decided to play golf instead.

"It's neat to see these guys transform our sport, the power, the transition. They are doing things no one has ever done on tour before.

"I'm certainly not one of the longest out there now. (But) I'm not one of the shortest yet."

Another broad smile.

"I can still move it out there ... when I'm swinging well I have another gear in there where I can add another 15 or 20 (yards). But these longer guys, they already hit it out there 15 or 20 more - and then they have another gear after that.

"The sport has changed."

And there's the rub.

Body shapes like Jarrod Lyle's, once common in world golf, are almost ancient history because the mighty "V" shape Tiger popularised, if not introduced, is the norm for these fitness freaks who hit the ball to parts of courses their designers never envisaged.

Now, the very player Tiger inadvertently created is making him just another man in the field.

Admittedly, his best is still very good. As he has shown this week in Sydney with his revised swing starting to feel second nature.

But, where he was once that metaphorical schoolyard bully, there are now several blokes at the elite level who can push him around.

Time has made him mortal.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

An 11 under 277, but only good enough for 3rd. He's getting closer though. It will come. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Two stories of note this morning. This win by Tiger, and another by Jaidee in Wales in post to follow. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/ ... on-73-wins
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

He is still a great golfer! Look around the world...Clinton and Tiger have a LOT of company.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!