2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

caller
Hero
Hero

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm I look at the poll up there and my gut is telling me it's going to be some dark horse, maybe a team not even on the poll. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
I don't know who will win it and haven't voted. But I think Spain have been the standout team for me and on another day would have beaten Portugal comfortably.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It is the result on the designated day not "on another day" that determines the result.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We're a few days into the World Cup. I'm just wondering what others are thinking about the Video Ref.

Personally, I think players have adapted very well, and are trying to replicate incidents that have already resulted in penalties. They shouldn't just be booked for diving now, poor re-enactment should also be a bookable offence.

Even before the tournament started, I said to my son, players will be running to the ref demanding a video review. If the ref agrees, and it turns out to be a poor piece of acting, the player also needs to be booked.

Used, as it is in rugby, I think the video ref is great, but many footballers are born cheats, and it won't work unless players are accordingly punished when cheating is confirmed.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well Neymar certainly got caught yesterday - pathetic dive...... as you say - these guys should be booked. It's out and out cheating :banghead:

Video ref is great IF used properly as you say. Not seen much of it at all in wendyball,but I think in rugby it can can be overused with the refs relying on it too much at times.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This has to be put into perspective against lowly opposition but a 6-1 win for England is not to be sniffed at especially with BB’s favourite player getting a hat trick- 2 penalties and a deflected shot off the back of his heel and a marginal offside decision thrown in for good measure!! A bit more luck like that and Kane will win the Golden Boot and England the World Cup..........ok I’m only joking!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll never rate Kane, but I sincerely hope he scores another hat trick on 15th July.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This amused me. There are a million articles being written about the football and other aspects. Japan and S Korea are both in the tournament.
At the end of a game when either of these teams have played the fans set too and clean up the stadium so that the sections where they have been seated are spotless when they leave.So typical.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 am So typical.
And fair play to them in my book! :bow:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Believe me I am full of admiration for them, their hygiene and tidiness, esp after living in Thailand.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Is it because I'm an American and know nothing or is the officiating atrocious? The Russian/Uruguay game seemed really bad. At one point a Russian player dragged a Uruguayan, by the hand, down the field and nothing was called or is that par for the course. (Sorry about mixing sports)
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:13 am Is it because I'm an American and know nothing or is the officiating atrocious? The Russian/Uruguay game seemed really bad. At one point a Russian player dragged a Uruguayan, by the hand, down the field and nothing was called or is that par for the course. (Sorry about mixing sports)
Not only is the officiating poor, the use of VAR is a joke and a complete waste of time in the main.
Add to that, the standard of football is possibly the worse I've ever seen at a WC, the play acting is embarrassing and even the coverage on TV has nosedived to an all time low. :( :cry: :mrgreen:

Hopefully it will liven up a bit once the knockout stages begin. :thumb:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Towards the end of Round 2, I said to my son that Round 3 was the hardest round of them all, and would sort the men from the boys. My performance has been crap, yet I somehow retain 1st place. Mind you, I see our round 1 wooden spooner is clawing his way into contention fast. Right from the start, I said RZR and BG were the ones to watch.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, in round #3 so far I've had 7 wrong and 1 exact. :banghead: I do find this tournament a bit overwhelming. Difficult to keep up with all the reading needed to make an intelligent pick. No science for me with this one. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Intelligent picks? Science? HaHa gut feeling, that's my method.

Points 41; Position 18
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 am Intelligent picks? Science? HaHa gut feeling, that's my method.
To be honest, the results so far have been fairly inconsistent, some have been quite unpredictable. :shock:

Should become a little bit more stable going into the knockout stages, hopefully.

As for me, woeful start, picking up now . . . . . but have I left it to late? :twisted:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.