New Member from UK

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: New Member from UK

Post by caller »

Welcome to the forum. In respect of what, as a jaded traveler, you are seeking, well to be honest, a bit more detail might be helpful. Hua Hin is many things to many people, but south of Hua Hin, there are many quiet areas that might appeal?
Talk is cheap
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

AndrewinOrwell wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 pm Does His Him offer something different that can attract this jaded traveller or am I being hopelessly naive?
Is your spell-checker over eager or is this some kind of code ? :mrgreen:

Either way, welcome. Like caller said, if you go into more detail about what makes you feel jaded, I'm sure you'll get far more helpful input. I also agree about south of Hua Hin, it's a lovely area, and Hua Hin too has it charms.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Hua Hin and beyond has pretty much all you're asking for except maybe 'good wines'. That could be a challenge!

Welcome
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I am 51 and I've (we've) been coming to Thailand for almost 25 yrs now, and like you I began to get a bit bored of it all, too old for the "young" scene on the islands, too female and too long in the tooth for Pattaya, too young for the SAGA type beach holidays. I don't see me heading to the main islands anymore. We're getting too old for BKK for anything more than a few days. Hua Hin would have bored me to tears when I was in my 20s, but it suits me now. I think Hua Hin is definitely worth trying for you. If you find it too busy, then an hour south you're in a far more tranquil (nicer beaches) area. HH doesn't have the acres of neon thing. Soi 80 (girly bar street) might be a bit too "cheapest beer/most hookers" type convo for you, but it's very easily avoided. The Bintabaht area (that's the other girly bar area) is a lot more central and harder to avoid, but you also have a lot of tourists (females, and couples) popping in to the bars there, so it doesn't feel too "cheap beer-best hookers", there's also loads of nice restaurants and bars in that area too. The main nightly night market is just run of the mill tourist tat found in every other Thai market aimed at tourists, but it's lined with fish restaurants and bars and is better for that because it's not *just* a market. Cicada market at the weekends is nice, not the run of the mill tourist tat, it's not exactly hand made one offs, but it's lot more niche, and it's pleasant just to stroll around, or have some food and a drink. There's also a lot of other markets that aren't aimed at tourists, and they're a lot better (in my opinion at least). Forum Mod Big Boy has a great post that lists them all, complete with times, locations, photos, the lot. A lot of Big Boy's posts might be worth fishing out. The ones with day trips in and around HH was a wealth of information for us. I'd definitely recommend hiring a car, if not for your whole stay then at least to explore the areas around Hua Hin. Another forum mod with informative posts (also pic filled) for side trips is Buksida. Soi 94 is a nice street with loads of restuarants and bars (not the girly variety). There is a good map on the forum that lists them all. It's a good street just to wander up and eat where the mood takes you. Wine ain't my thing so I can't help you there.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I don't know Samsha Guest House, but I see (thanks to google maps) it's very close to Soi 102, enough bars and eateries in walking distance. But you are a fair wee walk away from the baht bus route, so a car would be handy. We stayed about 400 meters from there this past holiday in May/June. You're also fairly close to Soi 94.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

MDMK wrote:I am 51 and ... too female
Your female. I do not know. Image

OP you sound very much like me in terms of age and your lifestyle choices.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

AndrewinOrwell wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 pm Thanks! I'm afraid 'Hatten' wines or the likes of Jacobs Creek don't do it for me, but maybe I AM expecting too much in that particular area - unless perhaps I am prepared to pay an arm and a leg....
I sense from even the few welcoming messages that Hua Hin is capable of being a more relaxed and perhaps 'sober' area than the fleshpots of Bangkok, Pattaya etc and I'm looking forward to making the first of what I hope will be many visits. I've already booked accommodation (a place called Samsha if anyone knows it) and I'll be sure to trawl restaurant reviews and tips for local tourist sites to help plan an enjoyable week.
Thanks again.
If you are interested in wine I would recommend a visit to the HuaHin Winery it's a pleasant 30 drive into the the countryside with a very nice restaurant on site.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

AndrewinOrwell wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm This may seem mad to some, but quite often I value the chance to have a walk of around that length.
no, I get you, I like a walk myself. BKK has become too "heavy duty" walking for me. Hua Hin is most definitely do-able. We stayed a wee bit (maybe 500m) further up soi 102 (further inland) and I could easily walk to Bluport in 30-35 mins. Straight down soi 102 to Phetkasem Road is easy, If you are on soi 102 facing the sea and turn left heading to soi 94...make sure you have your phone with you. It is do-able, but there's loads of dead ends. I encountered most of them on one wander :oops: If you want to use taxis download the "Grab" app, it's cheaper (though only slightly) but so much easier as you don't need to try and explain to someone where your location is. I was well impressed with it last time. Once your on Phetkasem Rd the baht busses are easy and cheap as chips to use.