Cancer - no longer the bogeyman?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Cancer - no longer the bogeyman?

Post by dtaai-maai »

9 years ago, while teaching at a university near Hua Hin, I developed lymphoma, which put me out of action for the best part of a year. A course of chemotherapy did the trick, and although it left its mark in some ways, I was able to get on with my life.

I came back to the UK in May 2017 and was diagnosed shortly afterwards as being type 2 diabetic (i.e. treatable by meds and diet). Earlier this year I was rehearsing for a musical when I lost my voice for 3 weeks. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the “nurse practitioner” arranged an urgent appointment with an ENT consultant.

A short time later, after an examination, scans and a biopsy, I was told I had a malignant growth in my throat at the top of my larynx. It had been caught at an early stage and hadn’t spread. I was given a straight choice between surgery and radiotherapy (“if it wasn’t literally a 50/50 decision we wouldn’t give you the choice”). I opted for radiotherapy. This entails 35 treatments over 7 weeks (Mon-Fri). The technology has advanced in leaps and bounds in recent decades. The machinery now works to the nearest millimetre, so the radiation can be targeted very closely at the cancer, avoiding damage to surrounding cells. (That’s about as technical as I can get, I’m afraid…).

It’s not all plain sailing. I have good days and bad days; it’s difficult and painful to swallow, I’ve lost my voice completely and I get very tired. Also, I have to drive an hour each way every day. Having said that, after 17 treatments I’m coping quite well. The treatment itself usually only takes 5 minutes. Of course, the effect of the radiation is cumulative, so it will be some weeks after the last treatment before things get back to normal. In the meantime, I’m still working (on a reduced workload) and living a relatively normal life (as long as no one tries to talk to me!).

I’m not counting my chickens, but everything seems to be going well, and I’m hoping to be treading the boards again in the autumn. I’ve had lots of offers of support from various organisations like Macmillan’s and the Citizens Advice Bureau, but I haven’t felt it necessary to follow up on these at this stage.

The reason I’m writing is simply to offer the suggestion that cancer isn’t necessarily the beginning of the end any more. Once you get to a ‘certain age’, if anything goes wrong with your finely-tuned body, see a doctor immediately – don’t put it off. If this happens to you, be positive, accept help from family and friends where necessary, do your best to get on with life.
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Cancer - no longer the bogeyman?

Post by migrant »

I'm glad you have it under control, as much as possible. It's amazing what modern medicine can do now! While I have avoided cancer, so far, I have had a few parts of my body rebuilt, not by choice.

Great advice and continued good luck!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, it seems you're doing everything right, inclusive of being there when it was discovered instead of here. We're all wishing you the best DTM. Keep up the fight. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Helpful report, DM and the best of luck to you!
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think that one of the most impressive advances have been in " Imaging"
50 years ago there was just X-rays, Now the newer techniques Ultrasound (Invented in Scotland) CAT scan (England) and MRI the ability to see anatomical changes is staggering.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ since the country of origin seems to be important where did the MRI originate?
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

MRI-USA... Google is our friend!!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes the NRI was invented by an American and like U/sound almost entirely by one man.
One footnote--he CAT scanner was developed by a UK compan EMI, they had a big electronic division but also a music division.The Beatles were contracted with EMI and invested in the CAT Scan project.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Best of luck mate, and hoping you enjoy a speedy recovery. I know two guys here who were diagnosed with bladder cancer. The one had the tumor removed 5 years ago and has been fine ever since. The other had his tumor removed about 2 months ago and is due for his first check up next month.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thank you, DM.

My twin sister is currently going through the process of having some lymphoma zapped with radiotherapy. They've caught it early and the quality (and speed) of care from the NHS has been brilliant. Her future is looking bright.

It sounds like you're coping well with the treatment, and a positive mental attitude hugely helps with the healing process.

Keep us updated on the treatment, and the results.

Sending oodles of good vibes to you from the Land of ....

VS x :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Had an MRI on my spine 1 week ago and the consultant from Muscular Skeletal clinic rang me this morning with the results. Not good, but not yet life threatening, thank heavens.
However, it did show an abnormal growth on one of my kidneys which doesn’t look good.
Had I not had the spinal MRI, I would have been oblivious of the problem with my kidney.
Good luck with your treatment DM, you’re in the best place for it. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
alansymonds
Novice
Novice

Post by alansymonds »

All the best from my side, for your treatment.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Surgery, Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy ---- The answer is probably not in these three but in Immunotherapy, getting the body to recognize and reject cancer cells as it does with other invaders. Then the trio of treatments that we use now will go the way of bleeding and blistering.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Oakdale: It depends on what type of cancer it is. Thanks to the NHS, my twin is getting rapid treatment with the best equipment. She's starting her first zap with radiotherapy on Monday and (hopefully) 15 days later it will be gone.

DM: How does the radiotherapy affect you physically? Does it make you feel sick or tired?

VS
Last edited by Vital Spark on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Oh yes, the big three are not useless, there are some great successes. Childhood leukemia being one of them but many other cancers are not responsive. It is really sad that Breast, Lung and Colon Cancers are still big killers--The immunio therapy could help attack many if not all resistant cancers.