Aspirin

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Aspirin

Post by Nereus »

I guess most people, at least English people, that watch TV may have run across Dr. Michael Mosely and one of his programs tilted "Trust me I'm a Doctor". A while back his subject was Aspirin and its uses and or shortcomings.

He interviewed two respected English professors separately. One of them came out in full support of using Aspirin as a viable and useful drug used to help with preventing strokes.

The other professor was vehemently against it! Aspirin is known to damage the stomach lining, but the type of tablet prescribed for thinning the blood is not swallowed, rather it is absorbed by placing the tablet under the tongue.

As Big Boy has posted, either way should be on advice of a doctor or cardiologist.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Aspirin

Post by oakdale160 »

Taking even the small dose "baby aspirin" (81mg) you must take steps to avoid stomach irritation--take the coated version and never take it on an empty stomach.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 pm Taking even the small dose "baby aspirin" (81mg) you must take steps to avoid stomach irritation--take the coated version and never take it on an empty stomach.
If you read that which I posted, do not swallow it! Cardiprin contains 45mg of Glycine and is designed to disolve quickly under your tongue directly into the bloodstream, it never goes anywhere near the stomach. And if you consider 100mg too much it is also available in 50mg.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I was on 75mg dispersable aspirin daily for 17 years and cardiologist stopped them only 2 months ago.
I was also on 75mg of Clopidigrel (anticoagulant) amongst lots of other drugs after two MI’s back in 2000.
To protect the stomach I took Lansoprazol 15mg daily.
Had most of my Aorta and both femoral arteries replaced back in 2006 (severe blockage) and in intensive care for a month. During all this and other operations I’ve had, the cardiologist wouldn’t let them stop either the Clopidigel or aspirin, because of damage to my heart caused by the MI’s.
I like Nereus’s idea of taking Glycine, to avoid the main complications of aspirin on the stomach, but I wasn’t offered it!
Taking low dose aspirin can be beneficial and in my case the benefits outweighed the complications caused.
Studies have shown that aspirin in doses as low as 35mg can have benefits, but the patient must also be aware of the side effects.
If someone has a stroke, the cause must be determined before any drugs, including aspirin, is given.
If it’s a bleed in the brain, then the last thing anyone needs is aspirin, as it’s an anti coagulant and the patient would bleed into the brain and die.

I hope the chap in the OP recovers, but if he wasn’t treated within a couple of hours, then the chances of a decent prognosis is not good.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Had most of my Aorta and both femoral arteries replaced back in 2006 (severe blockage) ........
:shock: Wow! Was the doctor in the Plumbers Union? :twisted: I know that you have mentioned previosly about heart problems, but I did not realise it was so severe. :cheers:

From what I was told the patient in my OP did not get treatment for several hours after it happened.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:13 pm
Had most of my Aorta and both femoral arteries replaced back in 2006 (severe blockage) ........
:shock: Wow! Was the doctor in the Plumbers Union? :twisted: I know that you have mentioned previosly about heart problems, but I did not realise it was so severe. :cheers:

From what I was told the patient in my OP did not get treatment for several hours after it happened.
I hope he wasn’t in the plumbers union Nereus,knowing just how much a plumber charges in the UK. 🤣

The aorta and much of my femoral arteries were replaced with Dacron ones because they were severely blocked and I only discovered it when I had difficulty walking and getting severe pain in my buttocks, saw doc and he referred me to surgeon the next day. Had CAT and MRI scans in the morning and operated on straight after.
Op took around 11 hours, as they had to take out all my intestines so they could get to the operation site.
That meant no food or water for over 3 weeks, as the intestines go into spasm and don’t work.
Two days later I got double pneumonia, well it was free, so I had two.
Still, I got some beautiful scars out of it. Oh and got transfused with 10 units of blood.
Dread to think what it would have cost me, if it had happened in Thailand!

If the guy in question didn’t get treated for hours, then that could well be why he is so ill now.
Those first “Golden Hours” are critical, when blocked arteries or bleeds are the cause of the problem. Had he been in the UK, the outcome may well have been better.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Aspirin has lots of benefits and is becoming a no brainer for many things. However, I would say a baby aspirin (81mg) once every two days is a good idea as a preventative action having read up on it (not a doc though, just what I read), unless professionally told to use differently.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Nereus wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:33 pm The other professor was vehemently against it! Aspirin is known to damage the stomach lining, but the type of tablet prescribed for thinning the blood is not swallowed, rather it is absorbed by placing the tablet under the tongue.
I'm not sure what you're referring to (nitroglycerin perhaps?) but aspirin should never be held in the mouth. In the same way that it can damage the stomach lining, it can cause serious tissue damage to the soft tissues in the mouth.
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) has a caustic (acidic) effect if left in contact with the mucosal lining of the mouth for an extended period of time. Aspirin is sometimes placed adjacent to a painful tooth in the mistaken belief that it will relieve the symptoms. Instead it causes epithelial necrosis (death of the lining inside the mouth), wounds, sores, inflammation and ulceration. A typical aspirin burn will heal itself within 7 to 10 days.
See info and photo on the following link:

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/2657 ... n-in-mouth
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure what your point is. As I posted, it is Aspirin coated with Glycine, called "Cardiprin". Prescribed by a Cardiologist and dissolves under the tongue in about 10 seconds. :?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:28 pm I'm not sure what you're referring to (nitroglycerin perhaps?) but aspirin should never be held in the mouth. In the same way that it can damage the stomach lining, it can cause serious tissue damage to the soft tissues in the mouth.
You're not sure what he referred to - but it didn't that stop you from replying. Wouldn't surprise me if what you said about aspirin was true. But the medication he referred to is Cardiprin, not aspirin. Cardiprin is mostly aspirin. Aspirin pills dissolve S L O W L Y. Cardiprin dissolves in seconds - for you, does that mean 'held in the mouth'?
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Homer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am You're not sure what he referred to - but it didn't that stop you from replying. Wouldn't surprise me if what you said about aspirin was true. But the medication he referred to is Cardiprin, not aspirin. Cardiprin is mostly aspirin. Aspirin pills dissolve S L O W L Y. Cardiprin dissolves in seconds - for you, does that mean 'held in the mouth'?
No, I wasn't sure what medicine he was referring to because in the post I was replying to, he didn't say what it was - but the title of the thread is 'Aspirin' and on the off-chance that someone might misunderstand and think that sticking an Aspirin under the tongue and waiting for it to dissolve was a good idea, and out of an abundance of caution, I wanted to point out that this is not recommended.

As for what I quoted from a scientific journal about Aspirin burn being true, well if anyone cares to look it up in any medical or scientific source of information, I think they'll find that it is.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Or, you could look up natural blood thinners and not worry about side effects.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 am No, I wasn't sure what medicine he was referring to because in the post I was replying to, he didn't say what it was - but the title of the thread is 'Aspirin' ...
If you'd read the thread before responding, you would have learned it was about more than aspirin.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

There used to be a product--Beecham's Powder that was very popular in the UK for every sort of minor discomfort and even as a stimulant. Its main ingredient was Aspirin and the constant use of these powders caused many cases of gastric problems.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Beecham's Powders still available. I have a pack in the meds cupboard. Very good at the on-set of the flu bug.