Affordable Health Insurance For Expats

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Affordable Health Insurance For Expats

Post by NOKYAI »

Ah found it amongst the offers of millions of £ from my Nigerian friends!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I'm in the mix now. E-mail arrived today.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Now received the follow up email giving the application process and costs, the policy will be issued by Thailand Health Insurance PCL, never heard of them and who underwrites them.?

My concern is who the hell are these Bangkok Insurance Brokers, has anyone ever dealt with them before. Would you have a leg to stand on if you made a claim? Plus every time you wanted to contact them you have tp phone, email or go to Bangkok.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I received my follow-up let overnight. Will study it in detail when I have more time - Thursday or Friday. It's basically the only cover I can get, so I will probably go with it, but I still have to read small print, and in particular, exclusions.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I looked for the "small print" and the exclusions in their email and the links that were provided and found no real info at all. Pre existing is always the sticking point and all I could find is that is says they are not covered which is no surprise but they did not flesh it out at all.

Should anyone find out anything more please provide a link on here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

centermid7 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am Pre existing is always the sticking point and all I could find is that is says they are not covered which is no surprise but they did not flesh it out at all.
That was always the big plus in the original bumph - pre-existing was going to be included with 'rules'. If that's changed, not much point me joining. Of course, I will check for myself, and enter into correspondence with them before making a final decision..

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is the whole point of previous post, there are just to many holes in what is being proposed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it is up to everybody to do their due diligence to make sure it gives what they want. This is only a registration document - I think I will complete it regardless, and see what comes back. Only if I'm happy, will I part with any cash. I don't think I've ever seen the full policy documentation on any insurance policy until I've gone beyond this point. We shall see.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I inquired with them but never heard back. Perhaps I'll try again but not a great beginning for their customer service.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Self-insure...!!
Been here 15 years...no insurance, by choice.....So instead of paying the insurance company 3000/month, I have now saved 540.000 baht.
But what IF ??
The small stuff, I pay cash at the hospital/doctor/clinic.....And if I get seriously ill...let say get cancer, I will pay to stay pain free and hopefully enjoy my last days.....End of story...!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

T.O.M. wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 pm Self-insure...!!
Been here 15 years...no insurance, by choice.....So instead of paying the insurance company 3000/month, I have now saved 540.000 baht.
But what IF ??
The small stuff, I pay cash at the hospital/doctor/clinic.....And if I get seriously ill...let say get cancer, I will pay to stay pain free and hopefully enjoy my last days.....End of story...!!
I can see your point but what if you got serious ill in your first years you would have nothing saved then. The only way to self insure in my opinion is to deposit 1m + into an account and never touch it until it is needed for medical bills. You can't self insure by putting 3k a month into an account.

Do you now have that 540k in an account?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Take a look at the insurance provider web site, which gives an indication of premiums. They have been in business for 33 years. Personally I can't see what benefit there is in using Bangkok Brokers instead of going direct.

https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_maxi_eng.php
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I haven't looked yet, but I'd hazard a guess that Bangkok Brokers will put everybody together and receive group benefits, which will help keep prices down.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But their rates aren't substantially lower
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I’m afraid at 54 yrs old it doesn’t seem good value for me......perhaps if you are older! But shouldn’t they be encouraging us younger expats to join to bring down the premium?
Thai shield gives you 90 days in Thailand at a time for about £165 per year! Which is all I need at the moment.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!