Affordable Health Insurance For Expats

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Re: Affordable Health Insurance For Expats

Post by T.O.M. »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:44 pm Take a look at the insurance provider web site, which gives an indication of premiums. They have been in business for 33 years. Personally I can't see what benefit there is in using Bangkok Brokers instead of going direct.

https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_maxi_eng.php
Had a look at the list from the provider....A medium range insurance.....MC4000....premium about 15.000/year.
Maximum coverage 400.000.
A serious accident with following care in the ICU....will make you without coverage on day 2 (over your limit)
So what is the point?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Insurance works best when it is to protect you in the event of things that are NOT likely to happen-- being killed by a lightning bolt or by a piece of falling space junk. In these events a Million to one payout is reasonable.
With Health Insurance (Which should be called Illness Insurance, just as Life insurance is really Death Insurance) a person who is 60+ is almost always going to make a claim. Its not a great business for insurer or insuree.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

As I am only here for a maximum of three months at a time Nokyai’s comment piqued my interest only to see a sixty day visit max if it is the Thailand travel shield being mentioned (please correct me if I am wrong) after checking the website. I use worldnomads as the cover is more and can be started wherever you are. More expensive but not as much as health insurance. I had health insurance and a good policy but it was just becoming too expensive as a 57 year old who will only be here for a maximum of six months a year due to my work.
I cannot help but think that if I was here all year on a non imm O-A I would keep a million in the bank for the renewal requirement and use this as a form of self insurance as opposed to the cheaper policies. As a Brit with a UK presence there is always the fall back, if possible, of a flight home and use the NHS and get something back from all the money paid in over the years despite not being in the country.
Of course there is always the hope that I would never need it or that the kids will help the old dears if they were in need....
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One the most important parts of the Health Insurance is--EVACUATION insurance that can get you back home--if you are on a stretcher and on IVs and Oxygen they will have to take out a row of seats, then there is the airfare and salary for a Dr and nurse. So saying --I will go home and use the NHS in UK or Canada Health Plan etc can have a high
"Entry fee"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still haven't studied the document in question, but that sounds like a WTF comment oakdale. I live in Thailand, the NHS don't want me, I can't afford a private hospital in the UK. Why on earth would I want to be evacuated to the UK?

This thread is about Health Insurance for Expats. If you want to discuss travel insurance, there is plenty of room on the forum to start a new thread.

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
TunnelRats
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TunnelRats »

nuff said 👍Big Boy
"This login session $13,99 but for you $12,78"
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Obviously the cost will go up depending upon age and amount of cover but what cover would be a minimum using government rather than private hospitals? Travel insurance will come up as it is an alternative for many but if you want health insurance what should be the minimum cover to deal with most situations. A good starting point to then look at the various policies and the next question is will the insurer pay out. A local agent such as AA might not be the cheapest but I would have more confidence being able to talk to someone local rather than in Bangkok or Phuket. In general the more you pay the more you get, should you need it, hopefully. The reality is that we all try to find a cheap insurance as we hope not to have to use it. Only when things go wrong do you find out how good your insurance is.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are many in a similar situation to myself. Either too old, or pre-existing conditions that basically negate taking out any insurance. This policy is meant to offer 'some' basic cover to such people, and they reckoned 'such people' equated to the majority of the expat population. Basic cover doesn't bother me, because of all of the hospitals in Hua Hin, Hua Hin Hospital is the only one I'd ever feel confident using. I've had 2 operations at Bangkok Hospital and 4 times as many misdiagnosis. My son-in-law worked at San Paulo, and after the stories he's told me, I wouldn't go there again either, although the times I've used them they were fine.

I'd love to have Health Insurance, but although I've discussed with AA Insurance a couple of times (and the guys in AA are the most helpful insurance guys I've encountered - they almost equate to the proverbial insurance man in your wardrobe), but they can't help. These guys are trying their best to bridge the gap.

I should be in a situation to study what they've sent me very soon. Because they are the only option for me, and many others, I will continue pursuing this until I find a clause to make me feel differently.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BB--My post was in response to Gregjam writing that going back to theUK and using the NHS was an option.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I read your off-topic post, and lost the will to live. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

:offtopic:

Points 41; Position 18
doggie

Post by doggie »

Wonder
Isnt possible to get health/medical insurance
True one of the major banks with discount if customer alteady !
LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND. THAT IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end,
the faster it goes.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I fall into both of BB's catagories; too old and preexisting conditions. I don't go to doctors unless my problem is life threatening and I don't take medication. No one will insure me and the cost of even cursory, ie, useless insurance, is out of my budget. My point is that not everyone needs or can get insurance, so lets not have a government rule that says everyone must have health insurance. Until I came to Thailand (Thailand isn't the reason I became ill) I'd never been sick so I've never had insurance. I was able to pay for the 1 surgery I had here and won't have another.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This topic is not about a government initiated scheme
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've read everything so far, and I'm happy to move to the next stage. No money passes hands yet, and hopefully I'll know more about specific exclusions before it does. Obviously when writing to 1800 people, they can not cover every scenario applying to everybody. They've always said that existing conditions would be subject to a time delay before being covered.

I'm still in :D

Points 41; Position 18
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Has anyone had any updates on this or has it died