Injections??

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Post Reply
Srakamc
Novice
Novice
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 am

Injections??

Post by Srakamc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:47 am

Hi! I'm moving to Hua Hin in July and have been researching which injections/vaccinations I need to travel to Thailand. Everything I've read suggests getting different ones and I'm at a total loss! Plus none suggest rabies jabs but recent news shows cases there. Help please! What do I get? Sorry if stupid question!

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31826
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Injections??

Post by Big Boy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:54 am

When living in the UK, when about to go on holiday, our doctor insisted we put our details into the MASTA website, and it would produce a report of exactly what was required based on current events. It used to be free - no idea if they've introduced a charge now.
https://www.masta-travel-health.com/
Season 2017/18 Plymouth Argyle

Points 68; Position 7

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Injections??

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am

Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?

PS - I just read Pagey's post saying that rabies has been transmitted by a cat and killed someone further north in Hua Hin (Hin Lek Fai), so if true I'm not correct that it's just the southern part.
Pagey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am
According to a report on the news a 61 year old has died in Hin Lek Fai district of HH due to suspected rabies from a bite from a cat.

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1229172

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 31826
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Injections??

Post by Big Boy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am
Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?
I posted that it's free for dogs and cats, starting tomorrow? I've not heard anything about humans yet.
Season 2017/18 Plymouth Argyle

Points 68; Position 7

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Injections??

Post by StevePIraq » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am
Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?

PS - I just read Pagey's post saying that rabies has been transmitted by a cat and killed someone further north in Hua Hin (Hin Lek Fai), so if true I'm not correct that it's just the southern part.
Pagey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am
According to a report on the news a 61 year old has died in Hin Lek Fai district of HH due to suspected rabies from a bite from a cat.

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1229172
Hot spot is somewhat excessive compared to many countries.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

GroveHillWanderer
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am
Location: Nong Kae

Re: Injections??

Post by GroveHillWanderer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:07 pm

My 4 year-old niece got bitten by a stray dog the day before yesterday. Her parents took her straight to Hua Hin hospital where they gave her two injections already (I'm assuming the immunoglobulin and the rabies vaccine). Although her parents have medical insurance for her, they weren't charged anything. She still has to go back for 3 more injections in the coming weeks.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Injections??

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

StevePIraq wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 am
404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am
Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?

PS - I just read Pagey's post saying that rabies has been transmitted by a cat and killed someone further north in Hua Hin (Hin Lek Fai), so if true I'm not correct that it's just the southern part.
Pagey wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am
According to a report on the news a 61 year old has died in Hin Lek Fai district of HH due to suspected rabies from a bite from a cat.

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1229172
Hot spot is somewhat excessive compared to many countries.
Prachuap Khiri Khan: Hua Hin district was upgraded from a rabies yellow zone to a red zone yesterday following the death of a 61-year-old man in a suspected case of the fatal virus.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -red-alert

Not sure what the final confirmed story was about the cat bite, I think there were conflicting reports. Red zone, though.

GroveHillWanderer
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am
Location: Nong Kae

Re: Injections??

Post by GroveHillWanderer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting reports but if you're referring to the post I made about a couple of different translation engines indicating that it was only the cat that had died, I have to hold up my hands and say that information was wrong. All accurate translations and various English language reports make it clear that the 61 year-old man did die of what subsequent tests proved was rabies.

One slightly odd facet to the story is that the man was bitten 2 months ago, well before the current outbreak is supposed to have started. So that was either a separate outbreak or the current outbreak has been going on for a lot longer than was thought.

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3407
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Injections??

Post by HHTel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:07 pm
My 4 year-old niece got bitten by a stray dog the day before yesterday. Her parents took her straight to Hua Hin hospital where they gave her two injections already (I'm assuming the immunoglobulin and the rabies vaccine). Although her parents have medical insurance for her, they weren't charged anything. She still has to go back for 3 more injections in the coming weeks.
If your niece is thai then at that age she won't be charged at a government hospital. My two daughters both had free treatment when they were young.

User avatar
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4606
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: England

Re: Injections??

Post by redzonerocker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am


Not sure what the final confirmed story was about the cat bite, I think there were conflicting reports. Red zone, though.
:shock: I didn't bite anyone :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Injections??

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 am

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting reports but if you're referring to the post I made about a couple of different translation engines indicating that it was only the cat that had died, I have to hold up my hands and say that information was wrong.
Thanks, understood! :)

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Injections??

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 am

redzonerocker wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am


Not sure what the final confirmed story was about the cat bite, I think there were conflicting reports. Red zone, though.
:shock: I didn't bite anyone :shock:
:neener:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests