Smoking ex-pats

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Smoking ex-pats

Post by oakdale160 »

Several cities, I thinkSan Fran was the first banned it in or on any municipally owned land--So its not allowed in City Parks and actually on side-walks but that is not enforced anywhere that I am aware of

I hear that these bans and that fact that beer is so cheap in supermarkets has really contributed to so many pubs closing in the UK and Ireland..
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:37 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:28 pm In one of my local watering holes I notice that almost all Swiss smoke continually, and there are many of them. No consideration for anyone. It's a largish place but it does mean that I and other non smokers have to move or end up in a dispute.
Move or stay at home.
Not accepting smokers is non tolerance.
I and many other do not tolerate these people.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

egiljohann wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:33 am I stopped smoking four years ago after been diagnosed with COPD, and I miss it most every day. When people around me are smoking I'm sitting sniffing and missing the good times I've had with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. The beer is still there nowadays though!
:rasta: :cheers:
Get educated and get some knowledge. Maybe you will stop missing that cigarette:

www.whyquit.com

Advice from an ex-smoker that doesn't regret quitting one single second :D :D :D
YNWA
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Do you think that people smoke because they have no understanding of the risks, I dont think that lack of education is a factor. I knew a talented cancer surgeon who was a heavy smoker.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Smoking is bad for you, without a doubt. When will I quit? Probably when it kills me. Do I enjoy it? Hell no.

But those that have to interact with me prefer I continue smoking than trying to deal with me when I've quit.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 pm Do you think that people smoke because they have no understanding of the risks, I dont think that lack of education is a factor. I knew a talented cancer surgeon who was a heavy smoker.
I didn't mean education in the traditional way, but a different way of thinking of smoking and nicotine addiction. That is what's so great about the resources available from the www.whyquit.com, and it is all for free. Quitting cold turkey is the most successful way by far to manage nicotine addiction. It helped me a lot when I quit because the site made me think of the addiction in ways I never did when smoking. Just to give one example. Many smokers, and myself included when I was smoking, used cigarettes as a stress reliever and when certain things went somewhat bad in my day to day life. This could be family problems and work related problems. In the material, books and videos from that site I learned that having that cigarette didn't make the problems go away. After the 5-10 minutes of smoking I still had to struggle with whatever my problems were, and i addition I had smoked which in itself is bad for you and your body adding that bad habit to my problems too. This is just one example. The resources are abundant on that web page for people considering quit smoking.

But ultimately each and everyone must have the attitude and willingness to try to quit, if not it will be impossible to quit.

NTAP, which is Joel Spitzer's slogan and means "Never take another puff".

Good luck with your smoking or quit whichever you chose.
YNWA
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I accept that, in the main, smoking is going to affect your health. However, there are exceptions. My mother, who is 93 has smoked since she was 13. Some years ago, she was called for a chest x-ray and she was worried stiff at the possible outcome. After the doc reviewed her x-ray, he said that if she enjoys it then carry on, as normally it would have affected her already. Maybe the exceptions are hereditary. Because ..........

My last full medical was some months ago. When I sat with the doctor to review the results, she said "At least you're not a smoker!" (same remark for the last few years). I pointed out that I was but was not initially believed. I showed her the packet I was smoking along with a spare packet. She said that there is no sign of me being a smoker! I asked her why this is the case. Her response was "Nobody knows. Some people are not affected."
I'm probably going to die of some other incurable disease!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

HH4ever--Ex smokers have told me that there is a "What shall I do with my hands "problem, perhaps smartphoneitis will help with that one.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:08 am HH4ever--Ex smokers have told me that there is a "What shall I do with my hands "problem, perhaps smartphoneitis will help with that one.
Was a bit strange in the beginning of the quit, but in my case I did it when travelling overseas going for work offshore (6 weeks away staying busy working and no access to alcohol). That helped me quite a bit. Now I'm used to it and as you mention sometimes fiddling too much with the phone or drinking more beer than what I did when I was smoking. But I never miss my smoking days. Life has become so much better after I quit (3 years now). Many also complain their weight increases when quit smoking, but that's only because we eat more, especially snacks. Luckily I keep it at bay exercising regularly. Just on a side note, according to Joel Spitzer's book "Never take another puff", the actual weight gain is approx.75 kg up from your current weight to outweigh the health benefits of quit smoking! That is a LOT!
YNWA
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

An old thread I know, but I thought I'd put my two pennorth in. I know it's illegal here but my daughter bought me a vape machine for my birthday a month ago. She was hoping it would cut down my smoking. Until then, I was smoking 2 packs a day. I still had the odd cigarette during the first week. Since then cigarettes have disappeared entirely. My 'smokers cough' has vanished completely. Other benefits are to my family who've said that the vapour 'smells nice' unlike tobacco smoke.
I know it's up for debate, but personally, I'd recommend smokers changing to 'vaping'. I'm 100% convinced.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I'd recommend smokers to quit cold turkey

I had 5 year anniversary 18 January for my quit cold turkey. Haven't missed the nicotine once!

YNWA

YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

huahin4ever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:59 pm I'd recommend smokers to quit cold turkey Image

I had 5 year anniversary 18 January for my quit cold turkey. Haven't missed the nicotine once!

YNWA
Some can, others need help. One size doesn't fit all.
've known people who had to chew nicorette gum for months before they felt that they could quit and 10 yrs. later still missed tobacco.

My wife was able to quit cold turkey 40 yrs. ago and never touched it again. The dr. told her it would take 3 yrs. to clear her lungs. Her mother smoked and died of lung disease, my mother smoked for 60 yrs. and died of lung cancer.

Whatever it takes to quit or even modify your habit is good.

Pressure from others or yourself is generally not successful. Like any habit, you have to want to stop.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Congratulations HHTel, I'm delighted for you.

I have never even tried smoking, it has always disgusted me, but being an old git, I grew up with it, so accepted it. Having seen so many quit or fail to quit over the years, I know one size doesn't fit all, My wife must have tried a dozen different aids over the years, and after many years of trying, quit 19 years ago. For many years she still craved the dreaded weed, but through a smoking related illness, she can't be in the same room as a smoker these days - it actually hospitalizes her.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

What I can't bear is when someone sits next to or near my table in a restaurant where they can clearly see I'm eating and then they start smoking!

It's the absolute height of bad manners. Utterly selfish inconsiderate behaviour.

I've a good mind to go their table once their food arrives and let off several really stinky farts, see how they like that... they would doubtless be outraged, but its the same thing for me!

Oh and while I'm at it...... some restaurants allow people to smoke at the front of the restaurant where you enter from the street. This idea is ridiculous as 90 %of the smoke gets blown straight into the restaurant.

If you want to smoke do it in your own home
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:30 pmI've a good mind to go their table once their food arrives and let off several really stinky farts, see how they like that... they would doubtless be outraged, but its the same thing for me!
:lach:

I don't eat anywhere where smoking takes place, inside or out, apart from when the restaurant is so spacious outside, that you can find your own smoke free space (Zebwar is an obvious example). I recall a few years back going to Buff Bills to eat and as soon as I saw folk smoking inside I was out of there and never went back.
Talk is cheap