Cost of visiting a Doctor and prescribed medicine?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
caller
Hero
Hero

Cost of visiting a Doctor and prescribed medicine?

Post by caller »

Kind of linked to my earlier post on this forum back in September and again not really linked to HH, but I hope I can get some advice?

The fiancee came off her bike and damaged her Kidney, had to be operated on. All seemed ok and then in January a bit of a relapse. Went to the local hospital near where she lives and got treated and better...or so we thought.

Now another relapse, this time visited a GP in Korat, needs 3/4 months of medication (fits in with what I can find out on the 'net), but she has to pay 1800-2000 baht each time she visits for treatment and medication. Various tests due to be carried out next week. Seems like its all being dealt with very thouroughly.

Now, I know this will make me seem really mean, but is this about the going rate? I ask as she clearly can't afford to pay this on her own, I'm a bit surprised the average Thai can?

Does the cost depend on a) the Doctor and b) the cost of the medication?

She has said that she could get treatment and medicine for 30 baht at the local hospital, but it seems to me that with the problems she has had, the key factor is the quality of treatment.

What do you think, is the cost about right?
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Last year, I was in hospital for 11 days and have just looked back through the daily acounts.
I was paying between 150-800 for the doctor's fee. Mostly it was 300. Medicines are always more expensive at a hospital - especially private. Again in the past, I've quite often taken a first prescription from the hospital and then gone to a local pharmacy where the same stuff is maybe half price..
Yes your g/f could go to a local hospital (public) and get the 30 Baht healthcare, but as you've said I'd be concerned about the standard of care - HH hospital's a nightmare.
I'd say the price you're paying is a little high, but i don't know the medicines and if it makes her better, it's a small price to pay for your g/f's health.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Hi caller.
I would not say that 2000 Bt is too expensive.
One week ago I paid 16.000 Bt (with a smile) for the treatment of my stepson in a Bangkok hospital for his new artificial eye.
Yes, a lot of money for the Thais, but a relative small sum for you and me.
It was a public hospital, not a private!!
A private hospital would charge you 100.000Bt for the same thing.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

You don't want to know what it costs in the the real world.

My wife had elective cosmetic surgery at the top hospital in BKK for a fraction of what it would cost in the US, even if it were covered & it wouldn't be.

Here we can't even get a perscrition for penicillin for less than $100US--obviously, I stock up before returning home!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks everyone, all helpful and puts the cost into perspective.

it was actually my idea for her to see a GP in Korat, where she is studying, mature student I guess?

She's due to have some more tests next week and I assume the treatment will be reviewed after that.

Its funny isn't it, I know that in the grand scheme of things the cost is more than reasonable, maybe its just that in the UK it would be free!

Regards

Caller
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

caller wrote:...in the UK it would be free
Well, free at the point of use at least. It's only truly 'free' if you're a free-luncher - the rest of us are taxed! :shock: