Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital

Post by GLCQuantum »

So came to Hua Hin this morning to see off some family that are leaving tomorrow. Forgot my medicine, so went down to Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin (you can't get this medication over the counter). My doctor in Samut Sakhon actually works there on Sundays so thought I'd go to this hospital rather than the others.

After filling in all my forms and explaining what I needed I was told to sit in the waiting room. Over an hour later I politely asked how much longer it would take to get me 1 day's dose of this medicine (didn't need more than that as I'll be back home tomorrow). I had obviously been forgotten about as they then quickly rushed it through and I was called to collect my medication. :roll:

At the counter I recieve my goodies in the bag which consisted of 3 tablets (yes, just three :D ). I take out 150 baht from my back pocket (high end guesstimate for the cost) only to be shocked when handed a bill 560 baht!

"You're joking, right?" says I.

"Nope", says she. "Bangkok Hospital is expensive".

"You do know there are just three tablets in that bag, don't you?", says I.

"Yes", says she. "Bangkok Hospital is expensive".

I accept defeat at the hands of the criminals, sign my name on the receipt (Mickey Mouse) and walk away. I'm not in the mood to kick up a fuss over a tenner.

Will never step foot in that place again. A crazy practice. I have done the same thing at dozens of other hospitals around Thailand over the last 10 years and never have I been stitched up quite as much as today.

Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin... Go screw yourselves! :D
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Re: Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital :-)

Post by Big Boy »

There are plenty of warnings about their medication prices on here. I'm still attending as an outpatient, but I take my own bandages and creams, which I can buy in many places for a fraction of the price. This keeps the price right down. When they've prescribed medication, I take the minimum, which I use to obtain extra of the same at any other outlet.

I actually find their doctor and nursing fees very reasonable.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I do remember the warnings hence I had already prepared myself to pay a little more. I wasn't expecting 300% more. Nakanthorn Hospital on Rama II is a high end hospital yet I have never paid quite these kind of prices there. I have also never had to wait an hour and been forgotten about. :(

As I said, we're only talking about little money on this occasion, but I dread to think what the prices might have been had I needed to see a doctor! :shock:

:cheers:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Living in Thai you need two things in your wallet all the time.
A copy of your pp and a prescription for any drugs you take.

Just understand, BHHH regards itself as high end. If you want a quick coffee you don't go to a 5* hotel you go to a coffee shop. If you want reasonably priced health care don't go toBHHH, they are VERY expensive and unapologetic about it.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

A good friend of mine recently spent 7 hours in their ICU..nothing done to him except kept stabilised with ventilator & hooked-up to the monitor...cost?...70,000b (10,000B/hr)
:tsk: :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:Just understand, BHHH regards itself as high end. If you want a quick coffee you don't go to a 5* hotel you go to a coffee shop. If you want reasonably priced health care don't go toBHHH, they are VERY expensive and unapologetic about it.
But the coffee is 'free'

Points 41; Position 18
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

As I've already indicated in other threads, I planning my forthcoming retirement and will need to purchase medication for my heart condition, on a regular basis. So, Q1 how do I find out what is, and what is not, prescription only, and Q2, can you get 'repeat prescriptions' from the doctors like I do in the UK? Finally 'for now' are the medicines in the pharmacies the genuine article, or are many Chinese/Indian fakes/generic items.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Most things that are prescription elsewhere can be bought over the counter here. Cheaper in Bangkok at South East Pharmacy, but I take a few and only one is not available in Hua Hin and they are all available without a prescription.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Seems like I'll probably be OK then, since none contain opiates or narcotics, they're just standard heart meds ie Statins, Plavix (anti clotting) Ramipril (blood vessel dilators) and Beta Blockers
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

used to go to bangkok to get our supply of medecine for the heart as they were much cheaper, but I found a great pharmacy in huahin where it is even cheaper than bangkok, the owner is just great, always smiling and very helpful, if she hasn't got any of your requirements in stock she just orders it, she always gives discounts
I had a list of medecine from bangkok hospital which came with a very high bill, refused to take the medicine and went with my list to this pharmacy and exactly the same items were three to four times cheaper (in fact one of them was 70 % less)
saves travelling all the way to bangkok
she is situated in soi 51, on the left if you come from petchkasem road
worth a visit
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pe7e, Ramipril isn't so readily available in Hua Hin, but they will order it in (within 24 hours). Compared with other meds, it is quite expensive as well. You might be better seeking an alternative before you come.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

To pe7e. Gett as much meds as you can get before you come. Talk to your local pharmacy ask them to provide meds to any family member or friend who is visiting. Get copies of all prescriptions.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Check the use by dates for things purchased at other outlets. I found that my eye drops for daily use was 1 year out of date!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

pe7e wrote:...are the medicines in the pharmacies the genuine article, or are many Chinese/Indian fakes/generic items?
There is a world of difference between a quality generic product and a fake (counterfeit) medicine. I don't think you'll find many 'fake' medicines in Hua Hin - i.e. those containing no active ingredient and compounded with cement powder, etc. - as these tend to be traded at the wholesale level in much poorer parts of the world with a less vigilant infrastructure. You will probably find poor quality generic products in plentiful supply from India or China, however, and while they may contain the active pharmaceutical ingredient you can't be sure it's in the right quantities or manufactured in a way to provide equivalence to what you are taking.

If you have any concerns about your medicines and they appear to come from a 'branded' source (i.e. Sanofi, Pfizer etc.) then you can always contact the company either online or over the phone and quote the batch number and expiry date of the product and they should be able to tell you whether it's genuine or not. For 'quality' generic products, look for global generic manufacturers like Teva, Sandoz or Actavis who have more stringent quality assurance standards than most. There are regional and global associations of pharmaceutical and generics manufacturers and some online research should be able to help you identify products from a trustworthy source without paying high prices.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And by the way, I think this thread is miss titled. I don't think that the original poster was a fool, fool should be changed to VICTIM