Testosterone replacement therapy

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Testosterone replacement therapy

Post by hhfarang »

Anyone know of a clinic around that does this? I don't like to go to a hospital for a regular treatment like this condition requires. I had my annual complete blood test , and since I'd been feeling a little less "manly" lately I paid extra for a testosterone level check and even though by the Thai standards I was in the low normal range for someone my age, I checked the U.S. guidelines and am well below normal. :? :? (A little scary that the guidelines for nearly all blood tests, i.e., min/max vary so much around the world)

Since I believe this is an ongoing therapy using injections, I don't want to pay the price or have the hassle of doing it in a hospital so I'm looking for a clinic or private doctor's office to consult. Too bad the Polyclinic is gone as I'm sure they would have suited my needs.

Please help as I'm feeling a little "girly" at the moment... I find myself having longing looks at high heels and handbags in the shop windows at Market Village :D :D :D :shock:

Anyone?... and please hold the laughter and jokes to a minimum as I'm quite sensitive and may start to cry. :oops: :cry: :-D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Testosterone replacement therapy

Post by Lung Per »

What is the "normal" (U.S.) testoterone level for a man between 65-70? I suppose the level goes down by age?
A friend is only one click away
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

What is the "normal" (U.S.) testoterone level for a man between 65-70? I suppose the level goes down by age?
From my research in the U.S. it's considered 2.50 to 8.50 ng/ml, towards the lower half possibly in older men but not necessarily (in some men it does not decrease with age). According to the Thai blood testing facility I used, normal is 1.56 to 8.77 ng/ml. Mine was 2.20 so my Thai blood test said no problem but the way I feel and the U.S. standard says differently.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

hhfarang wrote:
From my research in the U.S. it's considered 2.50 to 8.50 ng/ml, towards the lower half possibly in older men but not necessarily (in some men it does not decrease with age). According to the Thai blood testing facility I used, normal is 1.56 to 8.77 ng/ml. Mine was 2.20 so my Thai blood test said no problem but the way I feel and the U.S. standard says differently.
Thanx. I better go se my doc...... :cheers:
A friend is only one click away
cheapercharlie
Warning
Warning

Post by cheapercharlie »

You can raise it, naturally ( your testosterone, that is...) and reduce estrogen:

1. Never eat Tofu.
2. Stop eating Chicken.
3. Do "prison Squats" and high intensity exercise.
4. Goto Youtube and search for "Raising Testosterone Naturally"... (the one by the 2 black guys is rated R.)
cheapercharlie
Warning
Warning

Post by cheapercharlie »

5. Go to a Chinese Herb shop and get some Yin yang huo , and make tea with it.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Zinc helps, too.
Happiness can't buy money
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

HHF

This is not meant to sound like I'm preaching...... I'm not.....

Alcohol reduces Testosterone.....

Fitness increases Testosterone......

Cut down the alcohol consumption and take up brisk walking.....

Save money and boost your Testosterone at the same time......

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You can raise it, naturally ( your testosterone, that is...) and reduce estrogen:

1. Never eat Tofu.
2. Stop eating Chicken.
3. Do "prison Squats" and high intensity exercise.
4. Goto Youtube and search for "Raising Testosterone Naturally"... (the one by the 2 black guys is rated R.)
In my research I read about tofu (and soi milk) and high intensity exercise, not chicken though. I assume that's because what the producers inject the chicken with to make them fat (estrogen?). I don't eat or drink any soi products, but do eat chicken once or twice a week, and I do exercise almost daily but at my age and health condition I don't think I'm up to "high intensity" exercise. I try to do six days a week alternating about 45 minutes each day between strength training one day followed by aerobic (treadmill, brisk walking on an uphill incline, heart rate 80%) the next day.
Zinc helps, too.
I take zinc daily in the form of a mufti-vitamin (Centrum Silver). It supposedly provides 100% of the necessary amount according to the U.S. RDA.

I am overweight. My research provided confusing results on that. I read that being overweight can both be caused (or worsened) by low testosterone and can be (part of) the cause of it being low. :? I guess what that is saying is that if you are gaining weight because of low testosterone, then you need to fight harder to keep that weight down or it will worsen like a snowball rolling downhill.
Alcohol reduces Testosterone.....
I do drink daily, mostly wine, and mostly with food, but I do drink too much (probably average 1 to 1.5 bottles of wine per day)... hard to tell exactly; that's the danger of buying wine in 5 liter boxes and being retired and bored so that I drink with both lunch and dinner (and the occasional in between snack). I rarely drink spirits nowadays and I only drink beer when I am out for lunch or dinner with a beer drinking friend, about once every 10 days. Also I try to balance my alcohol drinking with water drinking, meaning I drink at least as much, probably more, water every day than I do alcohol.

So I guess being overweight, eating chicken, and drinking may have contributed to my issue. I'm already in a constant fight with the weight issue with the exercise, but I just have too much time on my hands for eating and drinking which is counterproductive. I can stop or cut down on chicken consumption and try the Chinese herbal remedy mentioned above... guess I need to try to change my lifestyle and get tested again in six months. I was asking about therapy because I know a 69 year old here (up north) who is doing it and told me he felt very much younger and stronger since he started it. He drinks a lot of wine too, but is not overweight and is an avid exerciser, in fact, probably in better shape than any 69 year old I've ever known, yet his doctor put him on therapy (weekly shots I think).
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

HHF
[/I was asking about therapy because I know a 69 year old here (up north) who is doing it and told me he felt very much younger and stronger since he started it.quote]

I'm sure that you are well aware that treatments are not a one size fits all....

By your own admission...... You are overweight...... I do not know by how much.....
and I do exercise almost daily but at my age and health condition I don't think I'm up to "high intensity" exercise. I try to do six days a week alternating about 45 minutes each day between strength training one day followed by aerobic (treadmill, brisk walking on an uphill incline, heart rate 80%) the next day.
At the level of exercise that you are doing....... Being overweight is down to 2 things in IMHO....

1. Its a medical issue.....

2. Your calorie intake is far more than your output..... Have a look at your calorie intake from your wine.... I think you may get an unpleasant surprise......

MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:I take zinc daily in the form of a mufti-vitamin (Centrum Silver). It supposedly provides 100% of the necessary amount according to the U.S. RDA.
The RDAs only prevent deficiency disorders and may not be enough to meet your needs. Supplements are okay if they are being absorbed. Up to 90% can pass straight through you.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You could try the Bali Mojo as advertised on the "Inner Room" thread - that supposedly boosts your testosterone and may give you a boost elsewhere?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

At the level of exercise that you are doing....... Being overweight is down to 2 things in IMHO....

1. Its a medical issue.....

2. Your calorie intake is far more than your output..... Have a look at your calorie intake from your wine.... I think you may get an unpleasant surprise......

It's definitely number 2. I mostly eat pretty healthy foods but I eat way to much simply out of boredom. Eating and drinking wine is my only recreational activity here other than the internet, TV, and reading, none of which burn any calories of note. I've counted calories for extended periods of time as best I can here and I tend to consume about 30% more per day than I should to maintain a healthy weight at my height. However, until and unless I can find some way to spend my time that doesn't involve food and does involve activity, it's very difficult for me to break that habit. As most forum members know, I don't tolerate the climate here very well (hence the location I put on the sidebar :D ) so outdoor activity of any kind is pretty much out of the question.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

HHF

If I may.....
Eating and drinking wine is my only recreational activity here other than the internet, TV, and reading, none of which burn any calories of note.
A normal day of internet.... Watching TV and reading books....That is in effect.... Doing nothing...... Will burn between 2000 & 2500 calories.....

Again.... I would recommend that you have another look at your calorie count.....
As most forum members know, I don't tolerate the climate here very well (hence the location I put on the sidebar :D ) so outdoor activity of any kind is pretty much out of the question.
I had read before about you having aircon running 24/7 etc..... Which surprised me somewhat...... I have been here a lot less than you..... And almost never use aircon......
so outdoor activity of any kind is pretty much out of the question
I think that might be a big part of what you need to change..... Bite the bullet..... Take a bottle of water and a towel...... And get out and walk..... Get acclimatized...... It really will give you a different perspective on things...... When you do not need to hug an aircon.....

sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

HHF
As most forum members know, I don't tolerate the climate here very well (hence the location I put on the sidebar :D ) so outdoor activity of any kind is pretty much out of the question.
You know i know your problem with the climate and you know i sympathize

However i found when i started on my bike diet as the weight came off the amount i sweated dropped considerably

anyway best of luck with it
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand