Farang know too much

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

little imp wrote:If you don't want to look stupid. Learn to speak proper language.
You talk not good, why you make big pompem.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As a slight adjunct, but following on from that, Pete, my old French master used to say that once I started thinking in French (when I was over there), the language "battle" was nearly won.
How many of us who speak, read and write Thai think it as well when in conversation with Thais?
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

The brain activity that we refer to as "thinking" does not use language at all. Of course you need language to "translate" your thoughts or to make your thoughts clear to another person.
And when having a conversation language is inevitably involved because of the nature of a conversation: a way of using language.

But what you brains do all day automatically without you being aware of it does not involve the use of any language.

People who were born mute can think, no language needed.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

My good Mrs has made it a non negotiable-" You have to speak Thai and correctly too"- she says I have to watch the news and those( stupid )soapies and take note. And all the family have been supportive too as I 've stumbled along with my learning.
One obvious advantage is the better prices you get when shopping in Thai. A couple of weeks back I was sent to the main market and had to pick up some "mang da" - those flying roach things, I only know what to call them that in Thai anyway but got the order done plus some other oddities.Don't quite know why but I used always get reasonable prices up until then but now seem to be on even better mates rates around the stalls . So me thinks that the locals do really support an 'alang speaking some Thai.
Complexity is so simply overrated
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

All I meant, Roel, was that if someone reaches the stage with a language where they start to think in it (even if only partly), then they're probably able to speak it pretty well.
Probably didn't explain it well enough. It's certainly not a prerequisite by any means, but I understood what the teacher was getting at.
If you're thinking (what am I going to do today?) surely you're doing so in a language.
Last edited by lomuamart on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

deepee wrote: she says I have to watch those( stupid )soapies and take note..
:shock:

You've been had. Very clever your Mrs. :wink:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

lomuamart wrote:All I meant, Roel, was that if someone reaches the stage with a language where they start to think in it (even if only partly), then they're probably able to speak it pretty well.
Probably didn't explain it well enough. It's certainly not a prerequisite by any means, but I understood what the teacher was getting at.
Quite right Lomu, it is something that was drummed into me many years ago.

But I think that you are all on the wrong track! Until you can learn to wave your hands around like a symphony orchestra conductor, none of you will ever be able to "communicate" in Thai! I am sure if you were to tie some their hands together, they could not express themselves!

Just take the time to watch ANY Thai speaker on the TV, (newsreaders maybe excepted), and watch their hands. Most of them carry on like the sign language reader on one of the news channels! I saw one this evening sitting behind a desk being interviewed, and he was making out like a swarm of mosquitoes was after him! :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Speaking Thai

Post by margaretcarnes »

Like the 'brain theories' Roel and Lomu. I needed a Vodafone top up in Germany. Granted - my German is poor, but I CAN, with a little thought, manage 'twenty five.' So how did it come out as 'YeeSip-har euro bitte?'
Brain obviously over rode the language thought process there :?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Re: Speaking Thai

Post by HHADFan »

margaretcarnes wrote:Like the 'brain theories' Roel and Lomu. I needed a Vodafone top up in Germany. Granted - my German is poor, but I CAN, with a little thought, manage 'twenty five.' So how did it come out as 'YeeSip-har euro bitte?'
Brain obviously over rode the language thought process there :?

:D So true Margaret! After several months of studying Thai and then living in Thailand I went back to the States for a while, then down to Cozumel, Mexico for diving. Every time I tried to speak Spanish, which I had previously spoken passably, it came out Thai! After a few tries I just gave up. I admire people who can keep several languages in their head at once.

On the topic, my girlfriend and family fully support my learning and speaking Thai. I find that with people who don't know me or aren't around farang who speak Thai, I have limited success. With friends and family who understand my limitations, I can carry on long conversations and they are always willing to help me work around my limited vocabulary. One male Thai friend in particular has been endlessly patient in helping me build vocabulary and improve pronunciation.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Thinking in the new language is the eureka! moment but it takes quite a while immersed in the new language. Until that happens the competence is limited.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep that's about right, you can test it if you recall your dreams, what language are they in? Also when you see something what word comes to your brain first? For me it'll always be a Chang before an Elephant!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Are you saying a Chang isn't a beer?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Theres a little clue on the Beer label Steve.

And guess what the Thai name for a Lion is................

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If Thailand had as many beers as Belgium, I might have a chance of learning the language!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Beer is always a good place to start learning a language ... that and bad words of course!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson