Thai Word of the Day?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

When being pestered by over zealous bar girls in Hua Hin that are running a little over their fighting weight try "mai ow chang naam n'krup"

Then duck and/or run

Good one to stitch your mates up with for a windup . :wink:

Crazy 88
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Jesus wept - I thought this was a 'word a day' thread! I've been away for 36 hours and now it's running out of control...

I think it's a terrific idea, Pete, and I've learned a few bits already. All I have to do now is remember them...

I think we should agree not to worry too much about transliteration - if that becomes a serious problem, you probably haven't got too much chance anyway. Having said that, lomu, if you're going to say 'cow' for 'k(h)ao', why not say 'my' instead of 'mai'? But that's kind of my point - I know what you mean, so what's the problem? If I need an explanation, I'll ask for it.

Another thing to agree on is Thai script - leave it off, fellahs, we're all impressed, and maybe one day we'll get there too, but this is definitely not the thread for it! :D

And also, if we're going to get hung up about D v. Dt v. T and B v. Bp v. P etc., then we might as well give up now. I'm not even sure tones are particularly relevant for this thread?

My question -
I've always heard 'eat' as 'k(g)in', but Roel recently gave it as 'chim'. To me that sounds like something out of Mary Poppins. Is that because I've heard it wrong, or because the Royal Thai etc etc is a bit of a waste of space?

My contribution -
'b(p)urt' and 'b(p)it' = open and close (as verbs), also switch on and switch off.

My problem - (well, one of my problems...)
I learn things in bits and pieces - 'left' and not 'right', 'up' and not 'down' - it makes life unbelievably difficult, as I'm constantly talking in negatives! (no, don't go that way, go the way that's not left...)
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

How do you say in Thai, "The inmates have taken over the asylum' :shock: LOL. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:How do you say in Thai, "The inmates have taken over the asylum' :shock: LOL. Pete :cheers:
Falang baa?
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Something I used to hear a lot but never understood is "ig".
"Ow ig mai?" - Basically means would you like a bit more?

Question: If you want a little bit more of something can you then simply say "Ow ig kup" or would it have to be "Ow ig dtaii-maii kup?"

My missus always says it to a taxi driver when telling him to drive on a little bit further.

SJ
buksida

Post by buksida »

Super Joe wrote:or would it have to be "Ow ig dtaii-maii kup?"
For that you'd use "kor eek (ig) noi krup" ... for can I have a little more or "bai eek noi krup" for go a little further.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Super Joe, if you want just a little bit more you can say: "ow ig noi kup"

dtaai-maai wrote:
I've always heard 'eat' as 'k(g)in', but Roel recently gave it as 'chim'. To me that sounds like something out of Mary Poppins. Is that because I've heard it wrong, or because the Royal Thai etc etc is a bit of a waste of space?
Misunderstanding: I did not write eat as "chim".
The "chim" you refer to is part of the transliteration of the Thai word for tooth pick. Has nothing to do with "eat" at all.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Roel wrote: Misunderstanding: I did not write eat as "chim".
The "chim" you refer to is part of the transliteration of the Thai word for tooth pick. Has nothing to do with "eat" at all.
Sorry Roel :oops:

I must pay more attention
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote:
For that you'd use "kor eek (ig) noi krup" ... for can I have a little more or "bai eek noi krup" for go a little further.
Am I right in thinking that 'kor' is a much more polite way of saying 'ao/ow'? A bit like saying "I would like..." rather than "I'll have/I want..."?

Is it the same 'kor' as in 'kor tort' (sorry, excuse me)?
This is the way
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Thanks chaps :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

d-m - yes "kor" is more polite that "ow".
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The way kor and ow were explained to me, is that if you use kor to ask for something that should be paid for (a beer), you're asking for it free. A monk would use kor (maybe not for a beer, but for something else that everyone else would pay pay for).
If there's no monetary value place on it ("I want the salt", at a dinner table), then kor is OK.
Dunno if that's correct?
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

This site is really good, you can type in the English word, Thai word or Transliteration.
It also has audio files of the words so you can hear it pronounced polpelly.
http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

SJ
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Roel wrote:Super Joe, if you want just a little bit more you can say: "ow ig noi kup"

dtaai-maai wrote:
Misunderstanding: I did not write eat as "chim".
Not about 'chim' but 'k(g)in'....in some quarters you may hear the word 'tahn' used instead of 'k(g)in'. It's just more polite and higher class. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

..to many words already..but really excellent-thanks everyone.
Now, please teach me a new one!

:idea:
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]