Buri

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Buri

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Not sure if this should be here or On the Road.
Anyway just what does buri mean ?? :?
So many places in LOS end with buri it must mean something.
Does anyone know :idea:

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

a town, a city. Loan word from Sanskrit where it is pura I think. As in Singhapura; Lion City, which has now become pora.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My Robertson's here tells me that city is meuung or nakawn (usually spelled nakorn). Such as Nakawnsawan, Heaven City I assume. Now we need to know the difference between "buri" and "nakawn". Maybe size? I think there are more Buri's than Nakawn's. Chon-buri, Min-buri, Nathon-buri, Lop-buri, Sara-buri etc. Pete
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Thanks for that.

Found this on Google. I wonder if this has anything to do with it ?

Buri (Corypha elata Roxb.) is a palm from which three kinds of fibers, namely buri, raffia, and buntal, are obtained.

The buri palm has large fan-shaped leaves with stout petioles ranging from two to three meters in length. The palm reaches a height of 20 to 40 meters and its trunk attains a diameter of one to 1.5 meters. Of the buri fiber, buntal is the one with the most impact in the market.

The production of buntal fiber started in Sariaya and Tayabas in Quezon while the buntal hat weaving industry began in Baliuag, Bulacan way back during the pre-war years. The introduction of the hat weaving industry turned half of the hat weavers in Baliuag and neighboring barrios to the making of buntal hats instead of bamboo hats.

The Philippines was then considered a major exporter of buntal fiber. The growing demand for buntal fiber in the international market resulted to a supply shortage in the domestic market. Local manufacturers faced stiff competition with exporters in sourcing their raw material requirements. They claimed that foreign buntal hat makers were utilizing imported Philippine buntal fiber. To support the then booming local hat weaving industry, the government passed Republic Act No. 4666 known as the Buntal export Total ban Law in 1967 prohibiting the exportation of buntal fiber.

BURI

USE AND APPLICATION
Before World War II, buntal fibers were traditionally woven only into hats and bags in a circular strip weaving. However, in the introduction of loom weaving in the late '70s, manufacturers were able to innovate and create new products such as shoes, slippers, coin purses, pen holders, window blinds, attache cases, table accessories, wall papers, desk organizers, screen dividers, decorative pillows and lampshades.

Buri, on the other hand, is made into braids and is also woven into various fibercraft products such as hats, bags and placemats.

Raffia fiber is loom woven into fabrics for wall coverings and upholstery material. Raffia fiber is also made into hats, bags, placemats, mats, folders, portfolios, shoes, slippers, "hula' skirts, other handicraft items and as tying, decor and wrapping material.

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Your not getting confused with 'Burii' by any chance? which means cigarette.
www.35mmview.com
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Randy Cornhole wrote:Your not getting confused with 'Burii' by any chance? which means cigarette.
Your at it again Randy. Why would he have mentioned "Not sure if this should be here or On the Road." of he was talking about tobacco,.

BG and Pete are correct. The word originates fron Sanskrit which probably inherited from an older source. It is one of the very few words (less than one hundred obvious examples have been found) that are common in Thai and English.

Buri is in fact town. (The exact meaning of which can vary even between English speaking counties.)

Larger conurbations in Thai are Thani and Nakhorn (or Nakawn depending upon transliteration).

The origin of the buri is exactly the same in Chon Buri as it is in Cantebury (New Hampshire in the US and Kent in the UK).

Another word used in two words that have common origins in English town name and Thai names is Baan (Barn) and Ratcha (Regis). Ban is house or village and Regis/Ratcha is related to royalty.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

But he didn't know it was tobacco and did say he didn't know if he had selected the correct forum. Are you following me around?.... :mrgreen:
www.35mmview.com
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess wrote:
Randy Cornhole wrote:Your not getting confused with 'Burii' by any chance? which means cigarette.
Your at it again Randy. Why would he have mentioned "Not sure if this should be here or On the Road." of he was talking about tobacco,.

BG and Pete are correct. The word originates fron Sanskrit which probably inherited from an older source. It is one of the very few words (less than one hundred obvious examples have been found) that are common in Thai and English.

Buri is in fact town. (The exact meaning of which can vary even between English speaking counties.)

Larger conurbations in Thai are Thani and Nakhorn (or Nakawn depending upon transliteration).

Absolutely.
I was told that years ago in England by a good friend and his Thai wife.
"Do you know what Canter -bury, means". "Do you know etc etc.
Buri/town.
Now I think the Thais must have influenced our language.
Mai pen rai and all that.

The origin of the buri is exactly the same in Chon Buri as it is in Cantebury (New Hampshire in the US and Kent in the UK).

Another word used in two words that have common origins in English town name and Thai names is Baan (Barn) and Ratcha (Regis). Ban is house or village and Regis/Ratcha is related to royalty.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Guess wrote:
Randy Cornhole wrote: Buri is in fact town. (The exact meaning of which can vary even between English speaking counties.)

So, that give us Ban Chang (home of elephants?) and places like Ubon Ratchathani, Nakawn Ratchatisma (Korat), Udom Thani (Udorn) etc. It is now becoming clear as klong water...LOL. :cheers: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Sorry about that.
All I was trying to say is that I agree with Guess. A good friend, years ago with his Thai wife pointed out to me Canter -bury.
And the connection between Thai (town) and all those towns in Engalnd with letters that end in BURY.
I reckon the Thais must have invaded the UK long before we ever knew it.
:idea:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

On the subject of origins of Buri/Bury I found this on Wikipedia. I normally don't put much faith in Wikipedia because anyone can put any old crap on there but this article reflects stuff I have read elsewhere.

Etymology
The word borough has cognates in words and place names in virtually every Indo-European and Semitic language, as well as others.

Our modern English word borough derived from the Old English burh, and its dialectal variants including burg, beorh, beorg, byrig. It is similar to the German burg and berg, these words also appearing in Dutch. The Saxon words have a range of meanings, including:

hill
heap
mountain (cf. German Berg)
fort (cf. burg)
castle (cf. burg)
tower
city (cf. Edinburgh, Strasbourg, Nuremberg, St. Petersburg, Pittsburgh, etc.)
house
tomb
(Any or all of the above meanings are realised in the words in different languages below.)

Borough is originally a word for a fortified town or city, and for a hill (hills being favourite places of defence where towns/cities were hence built).

The word traces back to the Chaldean (Aramaic) perach, meaning growth. Words derived from this in the sense of a hill being a growth on the ground, as indeed is a fort, city, etc. In the ancient, classical languages, these include the likes of the Greek πύργος, and the Latin parcus. Parcus means "saving" and is the origin of the English "park"; parcus is also the Hittite word.

Cognate words for borough in other languages and language families include:

Germanic: Gothic bairgs, Danish borg, the Norwegian city of Bergen. Anglo-Saxon verb beorgan and the Dutch and German verb bergen, all meaning to keep, save, make secure.

Celtic: Irish brog, Breton bourg. Welsh has the word bwr or bwrc meaning wall, rampart or defence; and bwrdais, meaning burgess.

Romance: Modern Romance languages have words more similar to the German than the Latin, viz. French bourg, Italian borgo, Spanish burgo and the city of Burgos.

Semitic: The Arabic and Syriac languages both also have words closer to the German than to Chaldean, and they may be borrowed from Indo-European. The Arabic is بُرْجٌ (burj), as in the Burj Al-Arab tower in Dubai, and the Syriac is burga.

Sanskrit: bura

Slavonic: The Czech capital of Prague (in Czech, Praha). Russian сберегать (sberegát’) (to keep, save, make secure), and берег (riverbank, shore, coast).

Cognate words also appear, for example, in the Turkish city of Bergama, the Armenian word pardzr, and in Thai where many place names end in -buri e.g., Sangklaburi, Ketchanaburi, where it is a borrowing from Sanskrit.

There is no word quite like borough, in its many guises. As we have seen, it is a very international word indeed, yet it is not like more modern words such as telephone or internet. This is due to the borough-style words entering the vocabulary of the various languages at an early stage.

It is of course worth noting that it does not necessarily follow that because a language shares a cognate word with Sanskrit that its joint origin is Sanskrit. Words may exist in some languages that have been borrowed or developed from sanskrit, whilst in other languages they could have arrived via another quite separate route (Greek for example) from the pre-historic Proto Indo-European language. The origin of Bury in English, is therefore probably not from the Sanskrit. See this link for the Indo-European family trees, which should make it all clear.... as mud!

http://www.friesian.com/cognates.htm
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hey, I'm trying to learn Sanskrit - any teachers out there?
Amo
Amas
Amat
Amaris
Amarit
Amant

Any help would be appreciated as I qualify as a lawyer and brain surgeon next month.
And as Dr Feelgood said, get down to my surgery tonight.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:Hey, I'm trying to learn Sanskrit - any teachers out there?
Amo
Amas
Amat
Amaris
Amarit
Amant

Any help would be appreciated as I qualify as a lawyer and brain surgeon next month.
And as Dr Feelgood said, get down to my surgery tonight.
You got one Thai beer in there spelled correctly Lomu. :lach: :cheers: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

At least I tried :shock: :thumb:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:The origin of Bury in English, is therefore probably not from the Sanskrit. See this link for the Indo-European family trees, which should make it all clear.... as mud!

http://www.friesian.com/cognates.htm
Well you stick to your arty farty reference books and psuedo educational web sites but some geeezer down the pub told me and he said he had read it in the Sun so it must be true.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]