Getting the name of your home town right

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
TALAY TODAY
Rookie
Rookie

Getting the name of your home town right

Post by TALAY TODAY »

I see some down there still have a problem with this - ask anyone of them for HuaHin (Wah Hin) . Yes and we complain about people who come from other countries and can't speak our language - we go to their countries and change the names of their towns. As I'm sure many of you know it is Hua with a rising tone which means Head and hin which is rock.
I do hope this helps alleviate any confusion personally I know who's causing it but am too polite to say.
lomuamart

Re: Getting the name of your home town right

Post by lomuamart »

TALAY TODAY wrote:I see some down there still have a problem with this - ask anyone of them for HuaHin (Wah Hin) . Yes and we complain about people who come from other countries and can't speak our language - we go to their countries and change the names of their towns. As I'm sure many of you know it is Hua with a rising tone which means Head and hin which is rock.
I do hope this helps alleviate any confusion personally I know who's causing it but am too polite to say.
Thanks for the language lesson. Most of us here do know that.
It might be a good idea to post something partially positive about this town,unless you're back on your way to BKK.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I have heard thai people pronounce Hua Hin in many different ways. Does it really matter - what was the point of the post, if its personal use a pm.
TALAY TODAY
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TALAY TODAY »

Well you've scared me off this time as they say ignorance is bliss - I'll just leave YOUR town to the swordsmen ! Oh Dear
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Oh dear indeed! Talay Today, you are yourself displaying a great deal of ignorance - ignorance of being polite and tolerant of others, something which you would do well to learn from living in Thailand. I suppose you go around pulling the Thais up on their pronounciation of 'farang' as well do you? I congratulate you on your mastery of the Thai language, now go and study manners and behaviour... :guns:
TALAY TODAY
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TALAY TODAY »

point taken see you next time
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I think thats the conversation finished! Say what you mean next time, Khun Wanderlust!
Hermano Lobo
Novice
Novice

Post by Hermano Lobo »

This is from a couple of chaps whose Thai knowledge is far greater than mine. As far as I am aware it should be pronounced Hoo-ah(rising tone) Hin.

There are American based holiday web sites that claim it is pronounced "Hwah-hin" - I think the incorrect habit has come from the Chinese as in Hua Gwo Feng - Hua in this case pronounced Hwah ?

(1)
Hwa- - Hin ?????
Eh? No vowel between the H and W? What do you call the sara-ah there then? It's spelled hoh-heep, sara-ah, woh-waen. But actually the woh-waen isn't even considered a consonant - when it's in conjunction with the sara-ah written above and before it, it's actually a "ua" vowel. Like in the words dtua (body), klua (afraid) and, of course, hua (rock)* which is the word in "hua hin".

*I think he should mean -Hua = Head & Hin = rock ?

Whether someone wants to use an alternative transliteration of hoo-ah or hwa, I don't really care, but they should all be trying to approximate the same sound, which is conventionally transliterated as "ua".

(2)

Hoo-ah is spelled with hor heep, sarah ah and wor waen. The sarah ah and wor waen configuration is a thai diftong usually pronounced "oo-ah". It is not a consonant. Sarah ah in itself is a vocal and wor waen is a consonant.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Please, let's lay this topic about the pronouncement of HH dead.
WE KNOW WHERE WE LIVE!!!
WE KNOW HOW TO SAY HUUUUA HIIIIIN.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Amen to that Norseman.