Where to learn Thai in HH

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
larioboy
Rookie
Rookie

Where to learn Thai in HH

Post by larioboy »

Would it be possible to learn a bit of Thai language in HH?
Where and how expensive would it be?
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are a couple of little places around town but I wouldnt rate them. Theres no substitute for self study. Grab a few books and learn the basics of the writing system first and you'll find that the vocabulary will come to you. Don't be afraid to try it out everyday too, its the only way to improve.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
larioboy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by larioboy »

Thai language, is it very difficult to learn for us falang?
What do u think? Is a self study possible?
I mean they have a completely different writing.
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

Larioboy, I left school with no qualifications whatsoever. I have learnt to speak, read and write the language. Use Buksida's advise wisely. Learn the writing system and you will be able to speak with more fluency and clarity.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Grammar shouldn't be a big problem but the tones can be. It's best to get the first steps with a teacher who can guide you with the tones.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree with larry ( although not on the no qualifications bit :neener: ). Self study is possible, I have learnt to read, write and speak Thai without the aid of a "teacher" or lessons, just a few good books and a bit of time and effort ... and above all lots of practise.

All depends how badly you want to learn it and how diligent or lazy you are!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Yung

Post by Yung »

Last edited by Yung on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yung

Post by Yung »

Thai is obiously very different from most western languages in its gramatics/build. I found this article on Wikipedia which gives a little clue about what it's about. (although much of it seems to for people with "special interest")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language
Viseman

Post by Viseman »

I found www.learningthai.com to be a useful resource. There are some other good ones online if you poke around a bit.