Please?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Please?

Post by hhfarang »

^ This is why we can't learn Thai... our significant others all have a different interpretation of a translation of a simple phrase or term! Mine was a school teacher but she doesn't have the patience to teach me... :? :roll:

Sometimes, I think they don't want us to know what they are saying... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a conspiracy. If we know too much we may take over the country. :shock: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's a conspiracy. If we know too much we may take over the country.
I don't think they are worried about us taking over the country Pete, just knowing their scheming against us behind our backs... think about it, it must be nice to be able to say nearly anything on the mobile directly in front of your husband knowing that he doesn't have a clue... how many men would take advantage of that situation were it reversed... :D :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Chuay Noi (Noy?)

Help me please.

'Kor' is usually used when asking for something to have for free or to borrow (the latter used before 'yuum' (borrow))

'Chuay', unless I'm mistaken has no other meaning apart from 'help'.
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Kor has nothing to do with if something is free or not.

ขอให้ชำระหนี้-khaaw hai cham ra nee-Please repay (your) debt

ขอร้อง-khaaw raawng- Please stop!/Please don't!

ขอไม่เผ็ด-khaaw mai phet-Please not spicy

ขอดูด้วย-khaaw duu duay-May I see, please?

ขอข้าวผัดหมูนะไหมครับ-khaaw khaao phat muu na mai khrap-I'll have pork fried rice, please

ขอให้มาด้วย-khaaw hai maa duay-Could you please come with me?

Source: http://www.thai-language.com/default.aspx
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Maybe not in a book it doesn't Baa Baa but in evryday spoken Thai..... and I speak Thai with Thai's for anywhere from 4 - 8 hours a day, 'Kor' is more often than not used when asking for something without payment of anykind I'm afraid.

If you read English Grammar books you will find that we don't actually follow quite a lot of the 'rules' when using our spoken English. The same with Thai.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

And now back to the original question:

also taken from

http://www.thai-language.com/id/135245#def3 :

โปฺรด

bpro:ht

particle, formal [a formal word of request] "please"

gepL dtang = "Check, please. ( เก็บ-ตัง )

gepL dtangM duayF khrapH = "Check, please." (เก็บ-ตัง-ด้วย-คฺรับ )

Now I am puzzled :idea: I think the please word is invisible :?

I give up :cuss:
Last edited by poosmate on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no more dePreston
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

The Thai word 'gep' means to put away. 'Tang' is money. 'Ngun' is also money. 'duay' means 'also', 'aswell', 'too'.

The word please doesn't exist in those 2 examples.... what the website has given is a translation as to the closest English example. Neither 'Kor' nor 'Noi' would be used when asking for the bill because you are beginning an action of which will result in you paying money out... thus no please is required.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

E-DorK

I agree with your translation. Maybe the site is English and adds Please and Thank you. :)
Still would like to get your take on the Kow word as I often use it whilst buying things. I was told many years ago that Ow was less polite.
How then am I to ask to buy something.
no more dePreston
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Well this site is written by a Thai.

He uses Kor when buying things.

To ask for something politely, you should normally say "kor" with a rising tone instead of "aow". However, at a noodle shop, the above reply is acceptable.

http://www.learningthai.com/noodle_shop.htm

http://www.learningthai.com/f_orderdrinks.htm

Lomu's wife has also said Kor has nothing to do with if something is free or not.

If I was to say "Kor Beer Sing Lek Nung" would I be incorrect?

Ao or Kor are both correct in my opinion. Kor being the more polite.
charleyboy
Suspended
Suspended

Post by charleyboy »

I use the word Kor all the time when asking for something.
It has been pointed out to me on several occassions that this is incorrect when asking for something that has to be paid for.
I'm sticking with Kor because it seems polite but I'm with E-Dork on its correct usage.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

charleyboy wrote: I'm with E-Dork on its correct usage.
I'm sticking with my Thai GF, Lomu's Thai wife and the Thai bloke who wrote the website.

Where's Buksida when you need him?
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

I too tend to think E-Dork is correct. His explanation of correct grammar makes sense. Especially in a language that is spoken differently by different classes.
All this KOR business started when BaaBaa claimed it meant PLEASE.
He has now changed his mind
WHAT IS THE WORD FOR PLEASE?
no more dePreston
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

poosmate wrote:I too tend to think E-Dork is correct. His explanation of correct grammar makes sense. Especially in a language that is spoken differently by different classes.
Hopefully somebody will correct my THAI Girlfriend, Lomu's THAI wife and the THAI bloke who wrote this then:To ask for something politely, you should normally say "kor" with a rising tone instead of "aow". However, at a noodle shop, the above reply is acceptable.
poosmate wrote:WHAT IS THE WORD FOR PLEASE?
There isn't one, with both languages originating at opposite ends of the earth they have zero in common.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

poosmate wrote:All this KOR business started when BaaBaa claimed it meant PLEASE.
He has now changed his mind
I didn't claim anything and I haven't changed my mind, I just suggested Pete shouldn't walk into a bar and say "Help Beer!"
Kick me down for being polite though, even to a low down, subservient noodle stall.
BaaBaa. wrote:
prcscct wrote: I think for example when ordering a beer, 'chuay' would be the only one to use. Pete :cheers:
No, you would use Kor.

For example "Kor Beer Chang Lek Neung Khrap"