thaow rai????

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Almost everybody with the exception of some news readers and TV show masters and (for sake of melody maybe?) the 'r' is often pronounced in Thai songs. "rak" (love) instead of "lak" and "roo" (know) instead of "loo".

Bubbly there should not be any regional variations in a beginners learning program but you never know. So you can recommend pimsleur? Did you download the torrent or did you buy it? (You can answer through PM if you prefer) :wink: I would like to check it out.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Roel wrote:* Meanwhile confirmed by Thai office staff that the expression with both "koi" and "tao rai" is commonly used. Does not make the expression any stronger, so they say.
I'm getting vibes here that "mai Tao rai" or, 'anything' preceding Tao rai is more of a slang expression. Anyone hearing the same thing from your in house translators? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Pete,

I originally thought that Ghi Baht was more formal, but after checking with the wife I was wrong. She told me that Tao Rai is street language.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

cozza,
That has to be one of the most confusing posts I have read! Can you explain a bit better please? 'Street language' implies slang but you said you were wrong that Ghi Baht was more formal, so are they both slang? :?
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Obviously there is a difference between 'street language' or colloquial Thai and formal Thai. But there is nothing wrong with using "ki baht khrap?" when talking to a fruit or noodle soup vendor.
A lot of learners tend to hypercorrect telling others you cannot use this or that, it is impolite. Colloquial Thai is not per definition impolite. Far from that. It reflects how the Thais speak in certain social settings. Use it with the people in the street but better not ask the Immigration Official when he hands back your passport "ki baht khrap".
Another advice often encountered stands: when in doubt use formal Thai.

Thanks for the nice remark Maggs, just saw it. Guess I owe you a beer for that next time we meet!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd agree with the above on that, and would only use gee baht on a very familiar/slang basis (even more so would be 'juk baht' which is the issan version!). With tao rai khrap or tung mod tao rai (how much all together) kept for more formal situations.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Just to clear things up from cozza's post then - 'tao rai khrap' is 'correct' Thai which can be used in all situations and 'Ghi Baht' is slang only really to be used among friends or with street vendors?
'Cos that ain't what he said! :P
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wanderlust wrote:Just to clear things up from cozza's post then - 'tao rai khrap' is 'correct' Thai which can be used in all situations and 'Ghi Baht' is slang only really to be used among friends or with street vendors?
'Cos that ain't what he said! :P
I believe correct WL. When I mentioned "anything" before 'tao rai', I was referring to something like "mai Tao rai" and similar as slang, not using it to ask what something costs which is proper. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bubbly
Professional
Professional

Post by bubbly »

Hi there Roel, i downloaded it off pirate bay,its quite extensive. The good thing it does do is to keep you going over the simple stuff and incorporating it into different sentances and expressions which helps me(with my pidgeon hole thai) make sense of what i'm trying to say, and not just saying it because i know what it means.
I think its good,i've tried a couple of books before with not much success and this is a lot better.
That said,the Bairn tried to learn off the 1st lesson and gave up the moment Emmerdale came on the tv!!!!!
Big thanks to everyone who's contributing on this thread. Its surprising what you pick up just reading the different posts :thumb:
Howay the Lads!!!!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Nice medium he, internet!
I used it to partly solve your riddle. So for all non-English forum users:

bairn
Noun
Scot & N English a child [Old English bearn]

Emmerdale
Emmerdale, known as Emmerdale Farm until 1989, is a popular and critically acclaimed British soap opera that has aired on ITV since 1972

I am still working on this one:
which helps me(with my pidgeon hole thai) make sense of what i'm trying to say, and not just saying it because i know what it means.
Just kidding bubbly as you will understand. Thanks for the info. I will check if I can download it without allowing trojan horses, virusses, adware etc. into my computer. :wink:
chadwick
Novice
Novice

Re: thaow rai????

Post by chadwick »

bubbly wrote:Its ever more confusing the more i learn!!!!
Could someone please explain this one????
Thaow rai=how much
Mai cow dee thaow rai=not very good
How does the "thaow rai" fit in both quotes?????
Also,would i be right in assuming "cow dee thaow rai"=very good
I always say dee ma for very good/very well
Any reply's would be much appreciated

Yes, thaow rai means how much: annee rakaa thaorai = how much is this?
THAT ggod or THAT much:
annee mai dee thaowrai = this is not THAT good
khao mai mii ahaan maak thaorai = he does not have THAT much food