Buddhist temples for women

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
jayjayjay
Rookie
Rookie

Buddhist temples for women

Post by jayjayjay »

Hi folks,

Where are the buddhist temples for the nuns in hua hin?

My missus wants to stay at one for a couple of days. Can she do that??

Cheers

Jay
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I’ve no idea about the technicalities of becoming a Budhist nun, but I‘ve seen them at a few places around Hua Hin: at the big temple near elephant village, at Khao Takiap and at a place on the opposite side of the main road to the Watt on soi 19.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My mother-in-law is a Mai Chee (Buddhist nun) at Wat Petravut (sic), which is the temple at the top of the hill on the Pala U road heading out of HH (a short distance past the elephant camp).
As far as I know, she's the only one who lives there and she has a rickety wooden house that sits on stilts above a reservoir. She does have people staying with her, but that's usually for faith healing.
I'll have a word with my wife when she wakes up and see if anything can be arranged, or if there's anywhere else for your wife to stay in HH. A visit to the MIL would certainly be possible. I've taken people up there before and she loves getting visitors
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Bit more info for you.
Wat (temple) Klai Kang Vol, which you will see on the HH area map, grid D5, is the place to go. It's associated with The Royal Palace. (It's the place Steve G is referring to, by soi 19).
The Nun's quarters are actually the other side of Petchkasem Road and they accept foreign women. You'll apparantly get your own room with private washing and toilet facilities, bed and fan.
You'll be expected to follow the daily routine of the other Nuns. My wife, who's been there herself, says it's the best in the area and you should make a donation to the temple for your time there, rather than being charged anything per night. My wife suggests 1,000 Baht a night from a farang would be well received (any more is up to you).
When you find the place, ask for "sam nak mere chi thai" and you'll be told where to go.
Good luck.
jayjayjay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jayjayjay »

cheers for the speedy response

Jay
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've never focused on this concept before. Similar to a 'retreat house' for Christians who need some time to straighten their thoughts out.

The vast majority or Thai young men and even older men going back for an additional stay, usually go for 3 months.

I've never heard if men go for short stays, like a weekend or a week?

If not Thai, I think a short stay may be a problem just from a language and learning angle. You would be concentrating on understanding what is going on, rather than what you really came there for? Pete :cheers:
jayjayjay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jayjayjay »

cheers Pete. Some valid points