Consumer Price Increases

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Consumer Price Increases

Post by PeteC »

It may be helpful to others to post any substantial price increases for consumer goods that you notice during your everyday activities. Prices have been steadily increasing over the past year for just about everything, with no known explanation except what may be cases of greed, and a government who doesn't seem to be able to control it. There is now talk once again of raising the daily minimum wage, at least in some provinces, and that without doubt will trigger every shop to increase prices also, regardless if they pay employees or not.

The most noticeable for us is food items. Everything from seafood, fruit, vegetables, meat. It's all substantially up in price. Next would be contract renewals; pest control, landscaping, insurance, security etc.

Any other examples and comments welcome and useful. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Consumer Price Increases

Post by Big Boy »

I'm convinced its little more than profiteering. We use several supermarkets, but one in particular is putting many prices up and up, while the others stay static. For a box of coffee (I actually like Nescafe :oops: ), one supermarket is 40 Baht more expensive than the one we buy from. The rip-off supermarket used to be by far the cheapest, but hiked the price just before high season a couple of years ago, and its stayed that way. There are other items 'price hiked' for the high season such as insect repellent - my 55 baht product was hiked by 20 Baht - a massive % increase. It's April, so that price is starting to fall again. Even 7-11 is selling my anti-antiperspirant at 50% of the big supermarket cost, and has been for a couple of years.

One supermarket has its offers in little displays in the aisles - yes, there may be the occasional bargain, but most of the items are actually increased in price compared to the day before they take pride of place.

Many items, we buy in bulk and store at home when BOGOF offers are on. If we know we're going to use it, then no problem buying to save.

You have to keep your eyes open, otherwise the fat cat supermarkets will get much fatter.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Eggs are always a big issue here. It seems the media and the government always weight in when prices of eggs begin to go up. Probably because they're the primary source of protein for the masses. Article this morning that egg prices will be going up as it seems there is a large loss of chickens due to the heat wave. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We always by our eggs from the wholesaler, and the price fluctuates between 100 and 120 Baht for 30 size 0. Currently 100 Baht. That is one product that seems really stable, but maybe because we avoid the supermarkets,
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm allergic to egg so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Otherwise, up here in Korat, I've not really noticed any change apart from the variance between stores on prices. Blueberries in Fresh Mart (The Mall) are currently 220b. At Makro they're 139b for exactly the same brand and sized punnet.
Talk is cheap
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

There is no doubt profiteering in food prices here is rife. We go to Hong Kong 2 or 3 times a year and just came back a week ago. A fair proportion of their tropical fruit is from Thailand and not only is it noticably cheaper but the quality is far superior to that found in supermarkets here.