Home remedy for a poorly dog

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Home remedy for a poorly dog

Post by Vital Spark »

My little dog (Penguin) has been a bit poorly of late - a gummy eye, and a rasping cough. Normally I'd take a dog to the experts, but she's extremely nervous of strangers, has never been in a car, and is getting on a bit. She came as part of the package when we rented our house, so hasn't had a 'western' upbringing. Anyway, I had a search on the net and it was suggested that an antibiotic (for humans) would do the trick. We had some Moxilin kicking around (for emergencies), so I gave her half a tablet twice a day. What an improvement! The cough has gone, and her gummy eye is now sparkling and bright. She's also a lot more lively, her appetite has improved, and her coat's in super condition.

If you have a pet, and a visit to the vets isn't practical, then it's worth having a search on the net for home remedies.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Home remedy for a poorly dog

Post by JamesWest »

fish oil is great for doggies... and a raw egg mixed in with their food.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Glad to hear your little one is on the mend (or "mended!!") VS. :thumb:

Certainly some questions over fish oil....... no real proof of benefits, but some proof of causing vitamin E deficiency. Again a fair few arguments regarding raw eggs...... although my pooch loves 1 now and again - also loves a bit of scrambled egg!!

Our mutt is a bit like my father, old, suborn, and fussy with food!! As such, we do from time to time give him (the dog and my father!) a dose of supplements which are geared to aging dogs - and it works wonders. Perhaps not much use to those of you in Thailand, but here's a link FYI: -

:cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by pharvey on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

hope she well and a long life
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Be careful when giving human medication to dogs, paracetamol and ibuprofen are toxic to dogs. Apparently the artificial sweetener xylitol,often found in chewing gum is very toxic.