Family theft of estate funds after a death.

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Family theft of estate funds after a death.

Post by Jimbob »

The following story is not unique but is retold to remind people about trusting family after a death and try to visualise what can happen and prevent the following.

My Farang friend, a Vietnam vet, passed away in Thailand after a long illness. His will was to be executed by his brother back in Australia including a substantial sum in a savings bank. His Thai wife of 18 years was not familiar with how he electronically monitored or transferred funds. When her Thai son arrived back from Australia for the funeral she gave him the bank card to electronically access funds to pay for the funeral etc.
The Executor on being informed of the death, verbally told the bank and eventually gave them a translated death certificate when she came to Australia to sort out her pension.

Too late. As soon as the son got the card he removed most of the saved money on-line to his Australian account and also started milking her pension funds. I had to explain to her where the funds went, took her the bank and got all her son’s possible access cancelled.
She is back in Thailand and can survive on the ongoing pension but the original funds went quickly in the son’s gambling and drugs who has disappeared.

My friend did not foresee the need to train his wife in electronic access. She read very little English despite living in Australia for some years and was intimidated by ATMs. I will have to do the training.

The money is gone and a fraud case will be hard to pursue. It didn't matter about Nationality. Avarice can be universal
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Family theft of estate funds after a death.

Post by oakdale160 »

Stealing from your mother, doesn't get any worse than that
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Re: Family theft of estate funds after a death.

Post by jingjoe »

sad ,disgusting act by son,but sadly i doubt it is fraud as the mother gave him the atm card and obviously password,probably not a wise move if your son has a drug/gambling problem